Main Menu

What is your all-time favourite iconic Dredd image?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 09 October, 2009, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Steve Dillon Prog 205,
Over the lettering ... I've seen it on a mug-- can't locate the image tho :|

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

darnmarr

Spikes

An obvious one, maybe - but it ticks all the boxes for me.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 27 August, 2012, 08:25:34 PM

I think you're spot on with both thoughts there, Jim. Good points.

Regarding iconic Dredd images? The 1981 and 1982 Dredd Annuals by McMahon are for me iconic. Every page, every panel is iconic. If I was only able to own two Dredd things in the world, then it would be these two books. This is the problem with choosing iconic Dredd images, there's just sooooo many to choose from.

Thanks, Colin! At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, you're one of the current generation of artists that nails both Dredd AND the city. Off the top of me 'ead, Henry Flint and Darren Taylor also get it spot on, and the much-missed Kev Walker.

But, yeah, those McMahon annual stories... I can't even start to describe the debt I owe to Mick for actually re-defining my perception of art. I was largely a representationalist at the age of ten (unsurprisingly) so I was a Gibbons/ Bolland / Leach kinda guy when I came to 2000ad, but those annual stories... some kind of penny dropped in the back of my head.

So... that's something you don't get from every comic strip: an artistic genius altering your very perception of the nature of art.

Back on topic: that Brendan McCarthy pin-up. That's Dredd, in my head. That, and the McMahon 'sitting on the eagle chair' cover.

Rambling horribly. I'll shut up.

Cheers

Jim

(Apologies for the lack of illustrative images: on my phone and inlining IMG tags is a pain!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Glenn Broadway

This iconic image isn't even actually of Dredd (Judge Cruz IIRC), but it's the one that had the most impact on me when I first saw it. In fact I still shudder every time I turn to this page when re-reading America. Colin MacNeil, of course.

And then, just a few panels later, there's another rather striking moment when the same Judge is finally executed.

radiator

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Darren Taylor? Should I know that name?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 28 August, 2012, 08:57:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but who is Darren Taylor? Should I know that name?

Bah. Dave Taylor.  Dave Taylor. Started out as Dave in my head but somewhere between thought and post, a couple of stiff gins and iPhone autocorrect added extra incoherence to my ramblings. Sorry about that!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

W. R. Logan

I love the Dredd stickler image from the pit but I think this is my fave image by Carlos.

Spikes

By a long way, the 'Gaze into the fist of Dredd' is the winner on this thread, and ive often wondered where the original art ended up, as a lot of times pages just simply disappear into a black holes and are never seen again.....

But this has now popped up HERE along with the preceding page. My mind cant comprehend what it must be like to see these at first hand.

Dandontdare

WOW! I mean just WOW - what a page. I was just taking to Dale about this the other week, and nobody seemed to know where that page hed ended up.

TheMightyOne