Main Menu

Recent posts

Film & TV / Re: Rogue Trooper News…!
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 01:30:02 AM
Phwoooaarrr! Eh? Eh?
Film & TV / Re: Rogue Trooper News…!
Last post by rogue69 - Today at 12:01:12 AM
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by BadlyDrawnKano - 20 May, 2024, 11:32:43 PM
I read Swamp Thing for the first time a couple of years ago and it's something I admire rather than love. There's some fascinating ideas and some of the issues are incredibly gripping, but it often felt like it was message heavy and quite humourless, bar the one issue which is deliberately comedic. I'm probably being a bit harsh as there were issues that I thought were superb, but I rarely found myself caring for the characters that much, at least not in the way I normally do with Moore's work.
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by don wiskerando - 20 May, 2024, 11:03:06 PM
That's complete then isn't it?  The story has a pretty definitive ending from what I remember.
Books & Comics / Re: Recommended Comic shops th...
Last post by Doomlord66 - 20 May, 2024, 10:24:58 PM
Back in the mid 80s, I used to travel up to London once a month to get my comic fix. I used to visit Forbidden Planet in Denmark St and Comic Showcase in Neal St. Also on occasion Gosh opposite the British museum. When FP moved to bigger premises, I didn't really like their new flashy shop and layout and I kinda thought prices had increased, so after that I just used Comic Showcase.
I've always been meaning to take my daughter on a nostalgic trip to comic shops in London and still hope to do so although I've found out the sadly Comic Showcase is no longer.
Off Topic / Re: RIPs
Last post by rogue69 - 20 May, 2024, 09:18:35 PM
60's singer Frank Ifield aged 86, best known for his yodelling & the song I Remember You & credited with giving the Beatles their big break.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0vv1ngrq5yo
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Funt Solo - 20 May, 2024, 08:06:09 PM
Fudge Bredd - excellently spooky stuff that (because of the artist) made me think it might be Dark Judge related - especially since those stories have started adding in newer DJ varieties. Now that I'm reading it, it seems more its own thing, but still has echoes (naturally) of Necropolis.

Blackhawk - a wonderfully done wrap-up to this section of the tale. I imagined that Nero (?) might mwuah-hah as soon as he was free, but the story usurped my expectations there. (I do wonder if there's still time, though - what with leopards and spots.)

Bumskulls Battalion - a really tight first part, and lots of fun to be had with the diagrammatic establishing view of their HQ.

■■■■■ - given that dialogue often drives this, I got a bit lost on a page where the two characters seem to be talking at cross-purposes to each other. Still very good, but that was distracting, and it felt like it might be a mistake. (I'm blathering on about "I can get you a tour." followed by "You're saying people disappear?" I realize it might just be Kurtis trying to stay on point and cut through the bull■■■■.)

Numskulls Vex - wait, is he full up with the little peeps, or is it like a married couple? It's reminding me a bit of that twin AI in The Algebraist (Banks), but I also like that these guys are little tardigrade things in a mad exoskeleton. Even though I can see a through-line from Nemesis to Shakara to Vex, this has become a firm favorite on its own merits.
Last post by Max Headroom - 20 May, 2024, 07:13:13 PM
"Hope...For the Future" part 1 (2011-2016)
"Hope...For the Future" part 2 (2044-2049)
"Hope...Under Fire" (2150-2161)
"Hope...In the Shadows" reel 1 (2276-2279, 2281-2287, 2289)
"Hope...In the Shadows" reel 2 (2302-2305, 2307-2308, 2310-2315)
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by broodblik - 20 May, 2024, 07:03:57 PM
The weirdest thing for me is that is still find Alan Moore's prog work superior than his American work. His Future Shocks were some of the best (if not the best) short stories ever published. Dr & Quinch still put a smile to my mouth when I revisited it. Halo Jones I still rate as his best work ever. So British Moore beats American Moore everyday of the week.
Last post by Proudhuff - 20 May, 2024, 06:18:34 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 18 May, 2024, 12:51:41 PMI have just received the 'Hope' volume and can say that it brings us right up to date with what was published in the Prog. Good stuff!

So whats all in it?