Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Arthur Ranson or John Hicklenton

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 November, 2020, 06:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 November, 2020, 03:47:36 PM
... but dash it all, Colin - you're not making this easy.

Its the fickle finger of fate. I'm merely the monkey to fate's organ grinder. Alas I can't claim its going to get any easier either...

TordelBack

Impossible choice, two completely different contributions to the prog. While recognising Hicklenton's sublime and unique genius, lost far too soon (looking at his Sláine sketches, his best work was yet to come), I think Button Man and Shamballa force my hand towards Arthur Ranson.

sintec

Love both these droids but I think I've got to give my vote to Ranson for his superb run on Anderson and for Mazeworld (need to get myself a copy of Buttonman).

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 November, 2020, 04:19:21 PM
Impossible choice, two completely different contributions to the prog. While recognising Hicklenton's sublime and unique genius, lost far too soon (looking at his Sláine sketches, his best work was yet to come),

I have never seen his Slaine sketches, he would have brought something completely different to the series.  His work on Nemesis was also quite different. His style is something I normally do not like but I loved his take on Nemesis
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 November, 2020, 03:47:36 PM
Ranson left such indelible marks with Shamballa and Buttonman. If there was a tiny niggle, it's that sometimes the characters seem just a little off - something to do with their angle in the world. I'm describing it badly, and anyway it was one of those things where you just automatically forgive them because the overall effect is astounding.
I know exactly what you mean, and you're right - I assume it was a consequence of what I'd imagine was quite a photo-referenced style. (Not a criticism.)

Daveycandlish

Ranson all the way. His Button Man is the strip I have reread the most from the archives. I absolutely love it.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 02 November, 2020, 04:33:17 PM
I have never seen his Slaine sketches, he would have brought something completely different to the series.

They're included as wonderful chapter breaks in the Sláine the Wanderer HB, and he's credited as artist on the cover alongside Langley, according to Mills because he would eventually have drawn Sláine had things been different. Pure class from all involved.

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 November, 2020, 05:38:32 PM
I have never seen his Slaine sketches, he would have brought something completely different to the series.

They're included as wonderful chapter breaks in the Sláine the Wanderer HB, and he's credited as artist on the cover alongside Langley, according to Mills because he would eventually have drawn Sláine had things been different. Pure class from all involved.

Would have loved to see his interpretation of  a warp spasm
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 November, 2020, 05:38:32 PM

Thanks for that info because awhile ago there was a sale on the Slaine graphic novels and I did buy it but I did not get around reading it yet. So the digital version also contains the sketches and it looks really interesting.

DrJomster

This combo in round one?!?

I'm going to go with Ranson for his absolutely stunning work on Anderson and Mazeworld. Just gorgeous. 

Hicklenton was a star though and is much missed. Outside of 2000AD, I heartily recommend his 100 Months if you have a chance to pick it up.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

maryanddavid

Ranson, simply for consistent good comics, Hicklenton really only losing out due to Ransons quantity.

Andy B

Arthur Ranson walks away with this one. He was a real bright spot in the dark days of the 90s: some of the most beautiful art we've seen in 2000ad.

AlexF

I've stared at pages of art by both masters for long minutes, with awe and envy. Ranson is a master storyteller, and that has to count for a LOT in comics. He also brings amazing amounts of insight into the minds of Cass Anderson and Harry Exton - panels of them doing nothing draw you into their inner worlds superbly. Hicklenton by contrast muddies his stories and doesn't so much get into character's heads as he throws up archetypes onto the page. But my God, what archetypes! With his pen he has managed to bring ideas and horror and worldviews through on the page that wouldn't exist in my mind otherwise.
And while I can lose myself in some of thoe amazing double-page spreads in Mazeworld, sometimes Hicklenton's Nemesis, Torquemada and even grimacing leather-wrapped Dredd appear in my mind unbidden.

I guess it comes down to: horror beats wonder. Hicklenton wins!

credo

Hicklenton, for making me reassess what I expected of comic book art.