Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and forty-fifth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1990 2000AD Yearbook.  This is the first 2000AD Yearbook, a whole new annual-type document with new stories from Judge Dredd, Robo-Hunter Rogue Trooper, the wrap-up of Tao De Moto, and even an all new Sláine! Plus some Dashingly Decent classic strips!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

AlexF

I'm well behind at the moment, but I had to comment to share my delight and surprise when you guys pointed out that Winword and Cord (in Killing Time) are literally coloured indigo. Can't believe I never noticed before, just thought Weston was making some weird colour choice.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and forty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad take a break from weekly progs to talk about the fabled cross-over between Judge Dredd and Batman, Judgement on Gotham! Realities are colliding and faces are getting punched with writing by John Wagner and Alan Grant and art by Simon Bisley! Gaze into various fists!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and forty-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 756-759 of 2000AD, covering November 1991. This episode ABC Warriors, Robo-Hunter, and Universal Soldier reach their climaxes, Dredd fights the flab, Feral goes to war, and Judge Anderson is back to solve some Engrams!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Please let me know what you think of the episode, and stay tuned for a special surprise later in the week!

SpaceSpinner2000

On this April Fool's Day Fox and Conrad have once more fallen through a time portal! They find themselves once again at the start of their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 6 to 10 of 2000AD, covering April of 1977. This episode we once more walk the path of early thrill power, as murderous robots and cyborgs, as well as dinosaurs and Volgans, threaten our various heroes!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

The Monarch

I am so happy we got another redux episode one more next year and i guess its a tradition :D

Colin YNWA

Yeah this always wonderful show is some how even more wonderful with these Retro issue. Its great to hear you both reflect on the stories with a fresh honestly and also with the experience of almost 800 more Prog under your belt. Defo do it again and The Monarch let's say its a tradition now and that we we can get all upperity if its not done net year.

I mean its a fantastic tradition and one only a monster, an absolute monster would break.

The Monarch

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and forty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 760-763 of 2000AD, covering December 1991. This episode Dredd learns about Geomancy, Judge Anderson learns about her past, Strontium Dogs reaches it's climax, Bix Barton goes to the bog, and Durham Red goes Gothlord!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 April, 2021, 05:30:32 PM
Yeah this always wonderful show is some how even more wonderful with these Retro issue. Its great to hear you both reflect on the stories with a fresh honestly and also with the experience of almost 800 more Prog under your belt. Defo do it again and The Monarch let's say its a tradition now and that we we can get all upperity if its not done net year.

I mean its a fantastic tradition and one only a monster, an absolute monster would break.

It's definitely our aim to keep doing these! At least until we've redone our first bunch of episodes, where the audio is really really terrible :D

The Monarch

I assume we are building up to a spinnies soon aka the all killing time all the time 1991 spinnies

Leigh S

Excellent stuff as always

I know the trauma of Final Solution leads many to blocking it out, but if you recall when Colin MacNeil takes over, the first episode is a recap told as a letter to Durham Red from McNulty - You see her engaged in tracking down the chap in this story there, so this is running roughly concurrently with the events over in Final Solution.

As for the mutant baby in Anderson..... keep reading the progs....

But yes, Spinnies must be soon?  Also need to update the spreadsheet with all your top and bottom thrillsin time for the 250th episode!

sheridan

Spinny list time - all data taken from Barney, all mistakes probably mine!

Best Art
Arthur Ranson
Brendan McCarthy
Brett Ewins
Brian Williamson
Brian Williamson
Cam Kennedy
Carl Critchlow
Carlos Ezquerra
Chris Weston
Cliff Robinson
Dave D'Antiquis
David Hine
David Roach
Dermot Power
Eric Bradbury
Gary Caldwell
Gary Erskine
Geoff Senior
Gina Hart
Greg Staples
Jeff Anderson
Jim McCarthy
John Burns
John Ridgway
Jose Casanovas
Kev Hopgood
Kevin Walker
Massimo Belardinelli
Mick Austin
Mike Hadley
Nigel Dobbyn
Richard Dolan
Richard Elson
Ron Smith
Sean Phillips
Simon Bisley
Simon Coleby
Simon Harrison
Simon Jacob
Steve Cook
Steve Dillon
Steve Pugh
Steve Yeowell
Stuart Harrison
Stuart Jennett
Tim Bollard
Tim Perkins
Vanyo
Zac Sandler

Best Writing
Alan Grant
Alan McKenzie
Andy McDermott
David Anderson
Frances Lynn
Garth Ennis
Iain Simmons
Jim Clements
John Brosnan
John Smith
John Tomlinson
John Wagner
Lawrence Miles
Mark Eyles
Mark Millar
Michael Cook
Michael Fleisher
Myra Hancock
Nicholas Barber
Pat Mills
Paul Kupperberg
Peter Milligan
Tharg the Mighty
Tony Skinner
Westley Smith

Best Overall Thrill

Judge Dredd   
Death Aid
First Offence
Fixing Daddy
La Placa Rifa
Driller Killer
The Apartment
Bill Bailey Won't you Please Come Home
Emerald Isle
Return of the King
Firepower
Teddy Bear's Firefight
Garbage Disposal
Watchdogs
Talkback
Twin Blocks
School Bully
A Clockwork Pineapple
Muzak Killer
The Vidders
The Devil You Know
Twilight's Last Gleaming
One Better
The Flabfighers
Teddy Chopermitz
Rough Guide to Suicide
Art of Geomancy

A.B.C. Warriors
Khronicles of Khaos

Armoured Gideon
No, No, Nanette

Bix Barton
Carry on Barton
Lovesick World
Bloated Case of the Fatted Keef

Brigand Doom
Brigand Doom
Voodoo Child

Danzig's Inferno   

Dead Meat   

Durham Red
Island of the Damned

Harlem Heroes
Death Sport

Indigo Prime
Solstice
Killing Time

Judge Anderson
Engram

Junker   

Mean Machine
Travels With Muh Shrink

Nemesis & Deadlock
The Enigmass Variations

Night Zero
Below Zero

Revere
Finders Edge

Robo-Hunter
Return to Verdus (?)
Escape From Bisleyland

Rogue Trooper
Golden Fox Rebellion
Saharan Ice Belt War

Strontium Dogs
Monsters

Tao de Moto
Forbidden Fruit

Tharg the Mighty
Galactic Greetings
The Question

Trash
How Green is my Computer?

Universal Soldier
Indestructible Man

Tharg's Future Shocks
Digby Trench, Come on Down
Treasured Companions
Blossom
Bone Shaker
Great Minds Think Alike
It's Alive!
Robot
Retribution
Tree of Knowledge
Wraggs to Riches
Marksman
Pact With the Devil
Holiday of a Lifetime
Peace of Paper
Blink of an Eye
Rocket Man
The Fallen

Best Month of Progs
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Best Year of 2000AD

sheridan

Not forgetting the meggies!

Best Art

Brian Bolland
Carlos Ezquerra
Colin MacNeil
Dean Ormston
Duncan Fegredo
Jim Baikie
John Hicklenton
John McCrea
John McCrea
Peter Doherty
Roger Langridge
Sean Phillips
Simon Bisley
Steve Sampson
Steve Yeowell
Will Simpson

Best Writing

Alan Grant
Dave Stone
David Bishop
Garth Ennis
Ian Edginton
John Wagner
Mark Millar
Tony Luke
Warren Ellis

Best Overall Thrilll

Judge Dredd
Midnite's Children
I Singe the Body Electric
Black Widow
The Gipper's Big Night
Raptaur

Al's Baby

America

Armitage

Brit-Cit Babes

Chopper
Earth, Wind and Fire

Heavy Metal Dredd
A Mega-City Primer
Rock On, Tommy Who?!

Judge Death
Young Death

Middenface McNulty
Wan Man an' His Dug

Red Razors   

Strange Cases
Feed Me
Magic

The Straitjacket Fits   

Best Month of Megs
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Best Year of Megs

The Monarch

Return to verdus isn't until 1992 I think what you are thinking of is rogue cop aka robohunter aka a complete waste of space

anyhoo spinnies/meggies

Spinnies

It would be so simple to do the Fleisher award and give it to mark millars disgusting travesty of a robohunter gravedigging but no....just once I am gonna be positive this time round....

Every single vote for 1991 goes to one strip and one strip only. Yes its no secret I am a serious stan for Smith and Westons Killing time. It is an understatement to say how important this story was to an eight year old David page but it really was. I truly believe this story has helped shape me into the person i am today. Lets face it 91 is not 2000ads best year yes there are some bright shining diamonds but alas there is just as much coal. Killing time still surprises me even til today can you believe it was only until your podcast that i noticed that the boys were indigo skinned? It was a genuine delight to hear that fox dug it so much. I knew you would have loved it conrad but hearing foxes joy at the horrors unleashed by the iscariot was amazing and even if it was unintentional having your future selves comment on the early episodes was amazing and on point for the story. And what else can I say about Chris weston? his art fits so well with the story. The fleshiness almost leaping off the page. the viseral red sprayed all over the pages and some truly amazing and horrific monster design. I could go on and on and gush but I have already written way too much

Meggies

Best writer: john wagner. Als baby, young death and america need i say more?

best artist: King Carlos himself

best story: It may shock you going by the two above that its totally Als baby. Theres an arguement made that this story doesn't really fit the meg. to that I say you may be right. I really don't care though its my favourite strip of the first year of the meg.

Special mention goes to middenface mcnulty why on earth has this not been reprinted put it in a floppy guys!

The walter the wobot award for liquid shite: You are lucky sam keith....the year ended just before your terrible dredd one off was printed. So instead I will vote for brit cit babes. A story so bad even the mighty John Wagner ditched it before finishing.Not helping is Steve Sampsons early art. As an artist he gets really bloody good later on but this early stuff? its rough and doesn't really fit the story at all such as it is. Hell to be honest I think the only reason its remembered at all was the Bolland cover that kicked the story off.

The Monarch

and yes i know i am early with the meggies sue me.

I cannot believe space spinners reached episode 250 I mean if you count big meg, starlordathon, action and the best ofs its over 400 episodes and thats not even counting patreon exclusives what i am trying to say is thats a lot of content and I am so glad i got to experience it with you. Lets go for 250 more and beyond. long as it keeps coming out i will be there to experience it.