Main Menu

No Title

Started by z-space, 26 June, 2002, 02:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z-space

I'm new to 2000AD...'look! i've just never read it ok. Anyway please can someone explain the different publications....silly me..i thought there was just one.

Shakara

Well,

Theres:
2000ad weekly
Judge Dredd megazine, Montly

There ye go newbie, good luck!

SHAKARA!

z-space

Thanks. But is it worth me getting into it now. Will i be able to get into the characters and numerous storylines without feeling like i don't know what's what?

Shakara

Of course there is!

I got into it in November 2000! It don't matter when you start reading it etc. Just that u like it and stuff!

SHAKARA!

z-space

Affirmative! I shall proceed to the Newsagents tomorrow.

paulvonscott

2000Ad is the classic of '77, a weekly sf comic running for twenty five years under a handful of different owners.  Well ahead of the pack in the seventies, achieved amazing heights in the eighties, and terrible depths in the nineties.  Currently the outlook is 'optimistic'.

The main character has always been Judge Dredd, that future cop in Mega City.  He's tough, follows the law pretty strictly, which means it's hard to say he's exactly fair ;)

Sinister dexter are the hitmen from pulp fiction in a futuristic city europe, they are cool, they kill people, thats about it.  Started in the mid to late nineties very popular for some reason ;)

Tor Cyan.  Tricky.  He's a spin off of a blue genetic infantryman called Rogue Trooper.  Rogue trooper was a genetically engineered soldier of the future fighting a seeminy endless war on NU-Earth between the Norts and the Southers.  Rogue lived up to his name and went rogue to find the traitor general who had betrayed his fellow GI's getting them all killed.  G.I.'s live on thru bio-chips, that contain all their dna and personalities.  Where were we?  That's right, Tor Cyan.  This story is set in the future and is confusing for the best of us.  He MAY be the recreated Rogue Trooper, we shall see...

13 is a weird litle story of a punkish bloke who has always had minor psychic powers.  Then he finds this pearl like object and suddenly has HUGE psychic powers.  With a young telepathic woman and a vision of a superpowerful valkyrie like woman he is on the run/being captured.  It seems the valkyries people created planets with slave labour.  These slaves revolted and stole earth, now the valkyries is here to get it back.  The slaves are the ones trying to capture the humans.

13 is a new series, not bad in most peoples eyes.

Anyway, keep going with it especially till 1300 when some great old characters come back for new series.

The Megazine is monthly as already has been said. That was originally a comic that had other strips based around Judge Dredd in, but is now a home to all sorts of strips.

Missionary Man is set in the world of Judge Dredd.  

Judge Dredd is Judge Dredd (and The Law!)

Durham Red is a vampire like mutant, originally from a strip called Strontium Dog, frozen and awoken in the future.  This current batch of stories are 'Apocryphal' which means people are just having fun with them, so don't expect them to tie together.

Bad Company is an old 2000AD strip about a raw recruit, Danny, stuck with a bunch of battle crazed veterans.

Hellboy isn't from 2000AD originally and seems to be about a kid from hell summoned by the nazi's in second world war, who is currently involved in a supernatural detective capcity (?).

And of course you Have David Bishops excellent artice on the history of 2000AD.

Typed that all a bit fast, hope that makes sense.

Megazine every four weeks, 2000AD every one.  I'd say it's worth it.  Ask anyone on the board for advice on any collections of old stories you might be interested in :)

Cheers

Paul

z-space

Thanks, that was pretty thorough. Enough to give me an insight. I shall start getting it/them.
Have to admit....(dare i say it while locked in this message board) I'm a huge Batman fan....in fact....'I am Batman'

Shakara

Welcome to the club Batman

SHAKARA!

z-space

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

So have you read the Dredd/Batman crossovers?
Better set your phaser to stun.

eggonlegs

mmmmmmmmmmmmm roast bat