Main Menu

Official Movie Comic Adaptation - DREDD

Started by Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty), 09 September, 2010, 10:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreddzilla

flip-r mk2

Here's the american cover.
Can't get photobucket to work tonight so it's only an attachment.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Jedit

Quote from: Garageman on 09 September, 2010, 11:54:36 PM
Ezquerra's Dredd doesn't look too much like Stallone but Smith's does look similar to  the visage of Fargo he drew in Dredd Angel:

Yeah, that always made me wonder ... Dredd is a clone of Fargo, so surely he would look exactly the same.

Of course, we all know that Fargo's father was Al Bestardi.   :D

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI love how it says THE OFFICIAL ADAPTATION OF THE SMASH-HIT MOVIE!
Well one out of two ain't bad!

They should have left out the 'sma' and 'h' parts.

QuoteYeah, that always made me wonder ... Dredd is a clone of Fargo, so surely he would look exactly the same.

Don't think they'd decided Dredd was a Fargo clone when that was published. Could be wrong though
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Krlss77

Ezquerra's Dredd doesn't look too much like Stallone but Smith's does look similar to  the visage of Fargo he drew in Dredd Angel:

Originally it ought to look like him, but when I did the first sketches Stallone's agent wrote to DC telling us "mr.Stallone look handsome than the way it's been depicted, and his mouth is straighter" so we  took away his "handsome" face from the comic...

SmallBlueThing

How awful for poor sylvester, having an agent who has plainly never looked at him twice...
SBT

Colin YNWA

I recently read the Ron Smith interview in the Megazine (thanks to Ming) and he said that they weren't able to make the strip character look like Stallone as the cost of using Stallone's likeness was prohibitive. I can only guess it'd be the same for the DC adaptation?

radiator

Fergie dies in the Ezquerra adaptation (and in the original movie script apparently), and if you look at the Wagner and Smith adaptation, it's pretty clear that it's drawn as if he dies but they've bodged a couple of speech bubbles to change it so that he survives.

Wagner was talking about the NoTW adaptation over on facebook recently - he said that he was a bit ashamed of it, but it was the most he has ever been paid as a flat fee for writing a comic strip, so fair play to him!

Beeks

I don't think Ezquerra's Dredd look anything like Stallone to be honest...it just looks like Ezquerra's Dredd with his helmet off  :lol:
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Krlss77

recently read the Ron Smith interview in the Megazine (thanks to Ming) and he said that they weren't able to make the strip character look like Stallone as the cost of using Stallone's likeness was prohibitive. I can only guess it'd be the same for the DC adaptation?

No, originally Stallone was suppossed to be  on the  comic, but after the comments from this agent and due to the deadlines, DC decided to drop the likeness, that was a big relief for me as I am not such a good artist to draw him  as a handsome guy...

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI don't think Ezquerra's Dredd look anything like Stallone to be honest...it just looks like Ezquerra's Dredd with his helmet off 

The weird thing is, Dredd's look was partly based on Stallone as he appeared in Deathrace 2000. So in some ways, Dredd's 1977 portrayal of Stallone was quite innacurate and completely missed the key essence of the actor.
(Turns tail and flees torch-and-pitchfork-wielding crowd. Towards an old windmill.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

flip-r mk2

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 September, 2010, 12:59:53 PM
QuoteI don't think Ezquerra's Dredd look anything like Stallone to be honest...it just looks like Ezquerra's Dredd with his helmet off 

The weird thing is, Dredd's look was partly based on Stallone as he appeared in Deathrace 2000. So in some ways, Dredd's 1977 portrayal of Stallone was quite innacurate and completely missed the key essence of the actor.
(Turns tail and flees torch-and-pitchfork-wielding crowd. Towards an old windmill.)

Was he not based on David Carridine's Frankenstien character from Death Race 2000.

filip
PS The strips are better than the movie because rob FUCKING schneider's not in them.
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 September, 2010, 12:59:53 PM
[

The Dredd look was based on David Carradine's character "Frankenstein" in Death Race 2000, not Stallone's.

JayzusB.Christ

I stand corrected.

Watched the remake, Death Race, last year: a vaguely entertaining sack of shit; whose dialogue consists largely of people shouting swear words. And Lovejoy's in it.

I had the Ezquerra Dredd film adaptation; a little bit better than the film as I recall but still fairly bad.

jock

my first job for DNA was adapting the script in comic form... somewhere between story boards and a strip. very rough style tho - not really publishable. but a 102 page comic of DREDD already exists!

and on a more important note - can we all just say a warm, warm welcome to Kriss77 - a few posts up there. as it's Carlos Ezquerra.

cheers

Jock