Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 February, 2012, 10:44:36 AMHeadbutts tended to be cut on UK releases

Trading multiple headbutts are cut only if distributors want a lower rating, IIRC. That's why THE MATRIX was snipped for its UK release even though Warner Bros. was offered an 18 uncut.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 10:52:58 AMBBC were never bothered about Yosser in Boys from the Blackstuff.

Auntie isn't regulated by the BBFC. The BBFC can only dictate cuts for cinema/video/DvD/Blu Ray releases, not TV broadcasts. Again, the issue would only be if Yosser was depicted trading multiple headbutts and the BBC wanted a certificate lower than an '18'.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 19 February, 2012, 01:04:41 PM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 10:52:58 AMBBC were never bothered about Yosser in Boys from the Blackstuff.

Auntie isn't regulated by the BBFC. The BBFC can only dictate cuts for cinema/video/DvD/Blu Ray releases, not TV broadcasts. Again, the issue would only be if Yosser was depicted trading multiple headbutts and the BBC wanted a certificate lower than an '18'.

I know all that, but it's just silly. There were plenty of punches in Dredd, is punching not considered imitable too?

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 01:10:54 PMI know all that

I would've been surprised if you didn't but I think it's worth mentioning, nonetheless.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 01:10:54 PMThere were plenty of punches in Dredd, is punching not considered imitable too?

I suspect it's because a headbutt is more novel; it's therefore perceived as being more cool than a punch and thus more likely to be imitated. Also, a punch can be directed anywhere whereas headbutts are invariably delivered to someone else's head; IIRC, the BBFC's concern is not only the injury sustained to the nuttee but also that likely sustained by the nutter. Hence, the real-world damage is factored in: a head injury to either party, in the BBFC's opinion, is worse than that to someone administering a punch never mind the poor sod receiving it.

radiator

Didn't the bbfc used to ban/censor everything with nun-chucks in?

Istr some pretty innocuous films running into trouble for this reason.

Steve Green

Pretty much, I seem to recall even one of the TMNT films had a chain of sausages cut because it resembled them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ferman

Bat King

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 February, 2012, 12:44:13 PM
They did go a bit nuts in the 90s - for them it's all about imitable content.

They're obviously worried about kids going round headbutting or earclapping each other.

Setting up elaborate torture mechanisms or stitching multiple a2m victims is probably too much effort for kids these days.

Oh and Human Centipede 2 got cut for UK release even at 18.
But is still a tad more violent and objectionable than a head butt...

Also, I'm agreeing with Joe Soap.  Everything he said in his last few posts on this thread, he's right.

I now want the Angel Gang in the Dredd sequel with Mean going up to 4!!!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Eric Plumrose

The 'cool-factor' of the nunchaku and its use by gangs so-say inspired by the kung fu craze was what led James Ferman in particular to make the decision. Not only TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (as mentioned) but DRAGNET, also. A conversation between Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks was excised simply because there was, behind them, a poster of Bruce Lee holding the dreaded chain-sticks.

Gonk

If they portrayed Mean as he is envisaged between the pages of 2000ad as a retarded sub species then I can't see how anyone would want to set out to imitate a character so moronic as him : "Duurrr Pa ! Look! It's Judge Dredd! Let me go up on 4 at him!"
coming at a cinema near you soon

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: fonky on 19 February, 2012, 03:42:43 PMIf they portrayed Mean as he is envisaged between the pages of 2000ad as a retarded sub species then I can't see how anyone would want to set out to imitate a character so moronic as him : "Duurrr Pa ! Look! It's Judge Dredd! Let me go up on 4 at him!"

If someone's so inclined to repeat what's seen on-screen I somehow doubt a movie character's intelligence will make them think twice.

Goosegash

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 19 February, 2012, 02:11:44 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 01:10:54 PMI know all that

I would've been surprised if you didn't but I think it's worth mentioning, nonetheless.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 01:10:54 PMThere were plenty of punches in Dredd, is punching not considered imitable too?

I suspect it's because a headbutt is more novel; it's therefore perceived as being more cool than a punch and thus more likely to be imitated. Also, a punch can be directed anywhere whereas headbutts are invariably delivered to someone else's head; IIRC, the BBFC's concern is not only the injury sustained to the nuttee but also that likely sustained by the nutter. Hence, the real-world damage is factored in: a head injury to either party, in the BBFC's opinion, is worse than that to someone administering a punch never mind the poor sod receiving it.

I think headbutts were still considered contentious up until the early 2000s at least - I seem to recall an episode of Farscape ended up getting an 18 certificate on DVD on the strength of a single headbutt.

radiator

I read the other day that 90s kids tv series Alex Mack has got a 15 on DVD because of an episode where a child gets into a tumble dryer.

dracula1

Whilst lovingly studying the up and coming DREDD pic's (with much anticipation for the movie) l noticed what looks like a shopping trolley in the background shot of Anderson blowing the perps head off.  I'm due my eye test at specsavers so this observation might be wrong.

Goaty

I know it silly but just saw Michael Fassbender on Top Gear, thought he perfect for Cal!

bigjobs67

Quote from: Goaty on 19 February, 2012, 08:37:23 PM

I know it silly but just saw Michael Fassbender on Top Gear, thought he perfect for Cal!

Good call Goaty.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

JOE SOAP

He'd be better as Dredd.