Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: vzzbux on 10 April, 2012, 08:59:31 PM
Dredd was a victim of circumstance and did what needed to be done.

Still a killer no matter how you swing it.

Beaky Smoochies

Joe or CraveNoir dudes, any idea what the countdown clock that pops up when you access the 2000 AD Online site is, anything to do with Dredd, or is it a launch for the recently-agreed U.S. deal...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

Scrub that last question, it clearly isn't Dredd-related, never mind...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Bat King

I think we'll know when the publicity for the film gets into full swing...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Bat King

As in I don't think it'll be as subtle as the 'They are coming' propoganda...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

blackmocco

Kinda cool the production gave something back to the place it was filmed...

http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/98/73524.html
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

A.Cow

Going back a bit in the discussion, The Raid: Redemption seems to be doing much bigger box office than anyone here credited.

It's reached number 14 in the US weekend box office takings, giving with $1.4M so far, and (according to CHUD.com) will be opening in 500 extra movie theatres, giving it a "wide" release.  That's not bad for a $1M foreign language film in the Good Ol' US of StatesTM.  Glancing at Box Office Mojo, only 5% of the top 100 foreign language movies play >500 US theatres, and nearly all made $10M+.

Looks all the more likely that comparisons will be made when Dredd finally arrives...

By the way, can anybody hazard a guess whether Liongate are likely to make the (poor) decision to screen in 3D only (like John Carter did in so many places)?  That could damage box office further.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 12 April, 2012, 12:50:56 AM
By the way, can anybody hazard a guess whether Liongate are likely to make the (poor) decision to screen in 3D only (like John Carter did in so many places)?  That could damage box office further.

Well Lionsgate are only handling the US, Entertainment Film are doing it for the UK and they have a good rep.

DeFuzzed

Looks all the more likely that comparisons will be made when Dredd finally arrives...

Why, because it's set in a certain setting with a certain group of people against another group? I'm trying not to be spoilt for either so haven't read any in-depth reviews, but I keep hearing people saying a comparison is inevitable. Anyone seen it and can say, without spoiling too much, if there are more reasons?

Cuz if that's it, an action film with a similar setting to other action films, then how is that so unusual or threatening to Dredd?

IAMTHESYSTEM

THE RAID seems to have been very well received with good reviews. But DREDD isn't released for another 5 months or so and THE RAID appears to be very Martial Arts orientated type of pic, Bruce Lee with machine guns.

DREDD should have enough that's different about it, a Futuristic Action thriller rather than a contemporary Cops vs Robbers story to distinguish it on it's own.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Spaceghost

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 12 April, 2012, 10:12:16 AM

Why, because it's set in a certain setting with a certain group of people against another group? I'm trying not to be spoilt for either so haven't read any in-depth reviews, but I keep hearing people saying a comparison is inevitable. Anyone seen it and can say, without spoiling too much, if there are more reasons?

Cuz if that's it, an action film with a similar setting to other action films, then how is that so unusual or threatening to Dredd?

It depends how spoilery you consider certain information. I'll put it in 'spoilers' just to be safe.

[spoiler]Both films are about law enforcers fighting their way through a load of gangsters, advancing up the levels of a city block towards a confrontation with the gang boss.[/spoiler]

That's in very broad terms.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Lee Bates on 12 April, 2012, 12:16:22 PM

[spoiler]Both films are about law enforcers fighting their way through a load of gangsters, advancing up the levels of a city block towards a confrontation with the gang boss.[/spoiler]

That's in very broad terms.

It's closer than that: [spoiler]both films are about elite law enforcers ascending a city block that contains a drug factory and a drug Baron that must be taken down.[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 10 April, 2012, 01:04:25 AM
I'm an unapologetically right-wing Christian evangelical Zionist social and economic conservative with libertarian leanings

aaaaand ... ignored

JOE SOAP

A right-wing christian, there's enough contradiction there without the added criteria.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 April, 2012, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 10 April, 2012, 01:04:25 AM
I'm an unapologetically right-wing Christian evangelical Zionist social and economic conservative with libertarian leanings
aaaaand ... ignored

It wasn't ignored as there were some comments after I posted it, and even if it was, why are you commenting on it now, get a life dude ::)...

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 April, 2012, 10:04:03 PM
A right-wing christian, there's enough contradiction there without the added criteria.

I'd love to comment further on that somewhat ill-informed statement, Joe dude, but as someone RIGHTLY pointed out a few posts back, this ain't the Political thread, but of course, never mind the fact I didn't bring up the whole socio-political orientation on this thread but merely commented on it (as did others), if you're a Christian and/or conservative in your opinions, then you're fair game on here it would seem (so much for liberal 'tolerance' - now THERE'S a contradiction if ever there were one!), so drop your anti-Christian bigotry,  your self-righteous indignation, not to mention your snarky everyone's-wrong-but-me attitude, and we'll get on just fine dude, sorry to sound confrontational, but I've had enough of your attitude and am calling you on it, and if you're offended, well  :'(...

... now back to Dredd, if you don't mind...