Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a chosen rider

Quote from: Goaty on 18 May, 2012, 09:14:38 AMDNA Films' $40M adaptation of the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra.

Isn't it nice to hear it called that instead of "reboot of the 1995 Stallone film" for a change? :D
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

James Stacey

All good news. To be fair, apart from the one piece of negative news that could be explained away as simply a negative spin on something innocent, and the forum eating itself over every snippet of info, pretty much everything about this film has been positive. OK a lot of it has been from people with a vested interest in it, but we are starting to get very positive feedback from individuals too which is all very encouraging.

radiator

Quote from: a chosen rider on 18 May, 2012, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 18 May, 2012, 09:14:38 AMDNA Films' $40M adaptation of the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra.

Isn't it nice to hear it called that instead of "reboot of the 1995 Stallone film" for a change? :D

Yeah, but they spoil it by referring to it as a superhero film...

Quotewe are starting to get very positive feedback from individuals too which is all very encouraging.

Where/when?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: James Stacey on 18 May, 2012, 09:49:16 AMIf there are only 2 territories remaining and they are expected to be closed by the end of the day, you needn't worry either way shirly?
As I recall, Dredd was sold remarkably early to most territories, and so my reading of that is only a couple remain, and those were likely to be sorted during Cannes.

On the helmets, I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's probably a disconnect between the comic-book design and an attempt to create a proper, working helmet. Odd, really, because it's the one aspect of the movie uniform I'm not convinced by. Perhaps they should have had the option to rework it a little more, in the same manner as the shoulder eagle, which looks great. Still, slightly high helmets or not, I'm still hopeful about this film, which is more than can be said in the mid-1990s about the last one.

And, yeah, great for someone to finally say adaptation rather than reboot. The latter suggests a conscious effort to rework a series (i.e. Spider-Man, Battlestar Galactica), but the former is certainly more suitable for another studio adapting the same original property. Dredd is no more a reboot than Bay's Transformers is a 'reboot' of the 1986 animation.

James Stacey

Quote from: radiator on 18 May, 2012, 10:31:54 AM
Quotewe are starting to get very positive feedback from individuals too which is all very encouraging.

Where/when?
Well not directly but if indeed the screenings were well received this is good. Admittedly we'd need comments directly from the people in there.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 May, 2012, 01:41:56 AM
It is more likely created by the Hollywood Reporter for the cover of their magazine. The whole image is photoshopped to fuck.

Yes, but why did they need to do that?Why weren't they handed something better by the PR dept (if one exists), and given a top notch image to use, preferably something new?Not seen any official promo material whatsoever and this is Cannes!(Apologies Joe Soap for doubting you on the screening by the way).Surely an official poster should have been done by now for events like this or at least a movie board.

radiator

QuoteWell not directly but if indeed the screenings were well received this is good. Admittedly we'd need comments directly from the people in there.

Precisely. All we have so far is the word of the guy who bankrolled the film, who is bound to say positive things about it. The 'positive buzz' is only being reported by sites too amateurish to actually read and analyse exactly what they are reporting.

By the sounds of it the screening was for exhibitors, distributors and other industry types, not a press screening so we're unlikely to hear any unbiased impressions about it for the time being...

Michaelvk

Quote from: radiator on 18 May, 2012, 10:50:23 AM
By the sounds of it the screening was for exhibitors, distributors and other industry types, not a press screening so we're unlikely to hear any unbiased impressions about it for the time being...

Well.. Considering there were no (reported) walk outs, despite the heat, then clearly none of the industry chaps thought is wasn't worth their time, and thus money.. I reckon that's a pretty good sign.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

ming

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 17 May, 2012, 02:03:39 PM
Don't tell anyone else Pete, just ring me with the info and I won't blow your Block up  ;)

Am I the only one to have read that as.. "...ring me with the info and I won't blow your cock off"?

:lol:

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also, the fact people were sitting on the floor to watch it is comforting.

TordelBack

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 18 May, 2012, 01:02:42 PM
Also, the fact people were sitting on the floor to watch it is comforting.

"IM Global's Stuart Ford says...".  No vested interests in that report whatsoever, nosiree.

CraveNoir

There's nothing Dredd related inside that Hollywood Reporter mag with the Dredd cover. The covers of the Cannes daily editions are advertising space, and that Photocrap picture is purely to promote the film.

I hope the official publicity campaign provides prettier photos than we've seen thus far.

Steve Green

dracula1

The Hollywood Reporter cover is like some Photoshop abomination from the 80's 8-x

Large48

Release date was said to be 7th September not 21st? of have I missed that discussion?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]