Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 May, 2012, 07:04:42 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AM
Hollywood is mining that now for all it can. So get the popcorn and watch their pantomime and hope it's entertaining, I'm sure it will be...but it can't detract from those great set-ups in the source material. Never.
If anything I'd say there's a proportionally equal amount of shite in both comics & films, with the smarter, more substantial stuff polpulating the margins of both crafts.

That's very true. I don't mean to sound off against film. I didnt read Wanted or Kick Ass and I enjoyed the films very much. I'm just a bit fed up that so many things that I have come to appreciate over the years, marginal things, have been boiled to death in the glare of razzmatazz. A current example being Les Miserables with Hugh Jackman. The cast is fine, but that story cannot be told in one film...or even three. So what's the point? Maybe it's for them what think it started life as a musical.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

MR. ELIMINATOR

Hey not sure if you guys have noticed or not, but regarding the recent facebook fan pages deletion, what happened is they have all merged into one, which is now the official page, and they have commented saying poster is coming very soon!

HOOORAYY!!

Here is the link, but you will probably find you are already a fan: https://www.facebook.com/JudgeDredd

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Nice find mr eliminator :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

blackmocco

And so it begins. (Finally.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

weehawk

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 May, 2012, 01:54:24 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AMas long as the essence of the thing is respected
Quite. It just needs to feel like Dredd for the movie to work. It doesn't have to be a Sin City-style slavish recreation. Still, I guess we'll all see it soon enough.

Indeed. The Crow, Blade, and Nolan's Batman films are prime examples of "feeling" the source material without being slavish.

Speaking of Sin City, I have a strong feeling Frank Miller is going to groove on Dredd. It's his type of thing.

Goaty

OOh Facebook Dredd says the trailer is coming... sounds promise... and wait for Dredd poster to debut! NICE!!

radiator

Hmmm, looks like the pr machine is starting to kick in. Lends a but of credibility to the rumour that the trailer will debut this weekend, and be attached to Prometheus.

HunterZolomon

Eliminator: There is hardly anything there, 3 posts and nothing new. How can you tell it's official? Is there an official statement anwhere or is it just because everything except this was deleted?

Great news on poster and official images coming soon though  :)

radiator

Read the comments.

HunterZolomon

Right, it was under the Headey link. It's my FB illiteracy.

"This is the official page! We're waiting on the poster debut to add the cover image and icon, sit tight." /Dredd

MR. ELIMINATOR

They also commented on the John Wagner reaction post 'promising' a poster soon!

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 30 May, 2012, 09:38:37 AM
They also commented on the John Wagner reaction post 'promising' a poster soon!

I hadn't read this anywhere, but this is from the FB page....
Judge Dredd creator John Wagner got a chance to see the Dredd set earlier this year. On Karl Urban, "There was one shot where the camera focused in on his face, a reaction to Anderson, and I swear Carlos [Ezquerra] could have drawn that scowl."

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: darnmarr on 29 May, 2012, 11:46:26 AM
Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AM
... There is a default idea that all media moves toward film, it's rubbish...
*Stands up and applauds*
*Stood and gave a deep bow, sat back down at desk, head down & drawing again*

radiator

QuoteI hadn't read this anywhere, but this is from the FB page....
Judge Dredd creator John Wagner got a chance to see the Dredd set earlier this year. On Karl Urban, "There was one shot where the camera focused in on his face, a reaction to Anderson, and I swear Carlos [Ezquerra] could have drawn that scowl."

Here's the quote in full (well, I've edited out the multiple digressions about vuvuzelas and alpacas!) - taken from a Q&A on Mr W's facebook page, 17th Jan, 2011:

QuoteJust back from the set. I wasn't able to take any photos, I'm afraid, still bound by the official secrets act, but if you want to throw any questions at me I'll answer what I can. Cape Town and surrounding country was absolutely stunning. The film occupies all four giant buildings at the new Cape Town Studios. Sets looked great - grim!

Very pleased with what I saw of Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby. Both excellent in their roles and work well as a team. Entire crew really dedicated and determined to produce a damned good movie. Sadly I had to leave before I could see them shooting any ultra-vi. Extremely impressed by the 3-D - apart from the demo at Universal Studios in LA, my memories were of the feeble efforts I saw as a youth. This is a real quantum leap from that, really adds depth. This is going to be good.

[on the producers responding to his feedback] Where they could. [screenwriter/producer] Alex Garland and I have had our disagreements but he has usually had a convincing argument for doing things his way. On the main issue, concentrating the plot on a slice of life rather than trying to convey the whole sweep of Dredd and Mega-City life, I now see that he's right. It was one of the flaws of the first movie, they tried to do too much. I just had a brief conversation with Karl [Urban], he's much too hard at work to spare a lot of time. There was one shot where the camera focused in on his face, a reaction to Anderson, and I swear Carlos [Ezquerra] could have drawn that scowl.

The uniform was still fairly paramilitary...but it works for me.

Only got to see a partial shell of a lawmaster, so can't really comment, but did handle a lawgiver. Looked good. Plenty of attention's been given to the script already and of course everything at the moment is a little fluid, so where rewriting has to be done it gets done. Don't know anything about a dedicated film website but I imagine DNA will do something like that. There was plenty of graffiti [...in the backgrounds...] and there was nothing I can think of that I thought was bad or wrong. Karl, when he's acting (and even when he's not!), IS Judge Dredd.

I saw them setting up a lot of stuff for SFX but didn't get to see the final result. While in the FX dept a huge explosion went off - practically jumped out of my skin. Max the tech trying to figure out how to explode a lawgiver without killing the actor using it!

What I saw [...] was very Mega-City. South Africa's got something of Mega-City about it in any case. On the morning I was supposed to do an interview with a reporter from Time Magazine I got a text from the studio: "Time reporter has been mugged - interview is cancelled."

[on prospect of sequels...] Agree absolutely about more Dredd.

[Dredd has...] No facial hair, just some tough bristle.

I wouldn't read the [Peach Trees] script - much more fun not knowing.

...the uniform doesn't look like a muscle suit. It is very believable.

I'm very satisfied with the way it's going but it's not going to fulfill everyone's hopes and dreams - that would be impossible with so many diverse demands upon it. Let's say that it's a damned good start and my guess is that most fans are going to like it a lot. Remember, if this one does well there will be more films to follow and these will cover other aspects of Mega-City life. By the end of it we should have a very good picture of Dredd's world in the round.

The eagle was on the shoulder [of the uniform], I think (I'm not that tuned to the visual aspect of things), muted but satisfactory. Karl's got many voices and he certainly gets the gruffness and authority in Dredd's. [director] Pete's pretty clued up on Dredd, as are many of the crew, being old-time 2000AD readers. I was surprised by how many had an in depth knowledge of and love for the character. That was very gratifying.

I thought Ma-ma was right on the button, but she's not what I expected. Better. Very good actress. I say no more.

HunterZolomon

"Max the tech trying to figure out how to explode a lawgiver without killing the actor using it!"

Less CGI = good.