Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Thanks Mr Soap for to put spoiler over the plot from Facebook as I don't read the script, and don't wish to see any spoilers... three months to go till 7th Sept, cant wait :)

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 June, 2012, 01:34:34 PM
I'm sure you'll all be vocal when you're going through the 5 stages or grief when the film tanks in expectations.
Well look, I think most of us have expectations set at a half-way reasonable level: a lot of us know the story from the script, and even those that don't will hardly be expecting a sweeping epic. We know the budget is tight and we've already seen some less-than-stellar vehicles and art-design, and we've heard Wagner's quibbles and tweeted comments about the same.

I'd say all it has to do, ( to impress and delight me anyway), is to improve upon the Stallone film and share a little of the character we know as with the rest of the world.
I don't think these expectations are unrealistic, and if they are met then there will be no grief, not frothis quarter anyway,- and if exceeded? Why then we SHALL have a Christmas!

Incidentally, on the subject of grief, I thought I'd ask which would be more upsetting for folk on the board here:

A: A piss-poor Dredd film that was nonetheless popular and would spawn sequels/toys/animated series e.t.c
or
B: An excellent Dredd film that nobody went to see ?

darnmarr

character we know as with the rest of the world
...character we know as Dreddwith the rest of the world...
no grief, not frothis quarter anyway
...no grief, not from this quarter anyway...

Misanthrope

All of this kind of reminds me of Punisher: War Zone.

Not a great film to say the least, but it is the best Punisher film made so far.

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Roger Godpleton

"GadDAMNIT CASTLE!"
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Stan

Quote from: darnmarr on 03 June, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
I'd say all it has to do, ( to impress and delight me anyway), is to improve upon the Stallone film and share a little of the character we know as with the rest of the world.
I don't think these expectations are unrealistic, and if they are met then there will be no grief, not frothis quarter anyway,- and if exceeded? Why then we SHALL have a Christmas!

That's really all I'm hoping for. It should keep the fanboy tears to a minimum.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 03 June, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 June, 2012, 01:34:34 PM
I'm sure you'll all be vocal when you're going through the 5 stages or grief when the film tanks in expectations.
Well look, I think most of us have expectations set at a half-way reasonable level: a lot of us know the story from the script, and even those that don't will hardly be expecting a sweeping epic. We know the budget is tight and we've already seen some less-than-stellar vehicles and art-design, and we've heard Wagner's quibbles and tweeted comments about the same.

Incidentally, on the subject of grief, I thought I'd ask which would be more upsetting for folk on the board here:

A: A piss-poor Dredd film that was nonetheless popular and would spawn sequels/toys/animated series e.t.c
or
B: An excellent Dredd film that nobody went to see ?

I'd say I have few if any real hang-ups with the aspects of Dredd adapted and distilled for the film than most experienced Dredd-fans. My expectations are fairly level-headed and I'm not pessimistic in that regard but some will rail against, that's their thing and it's fine, within reason.

Tangentially speaking, it just needs to be a better film than Prometheus -which despite its ridiculousness is still better than Stallone '95- and I now believe it actually has a decent chance of achieving that considering Scott filmed a 2 hour film synopsis.

If I simply had to choose either A or B, I'd choose B, but I don't believe this Dredd is either of those absolutes but a little inbetween and to the left.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I really liked the script, so I think I have expectations about right. It will be easier to tell when we actually get to see a trailer and see Karl Urban properly.

I have high hopes based on the images, as I have said a few times, I really like the kind of mad max kind of future with shit cars and such. Though I can see how this won't appeal to everyone.

COMMANDO FORCES

I don't see the problem with the cars. I've just looked through the first Case Files and in the third story there are loads of normal trucks. In the story where Dredd takes his helmet off there is an antique Morris Minor driving about. In fact over the next few stories we see even more trucks and normal cars on the streets of the city!

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think something they cool they could do with this, is with sequels (hopefully) have Mega City evolve in real time, kind of like the comics each year is a year dredd;s world as well. So if they leave it a couple of years, things could look a little more futuristic, and also hopefully the budget will be bigger, so by Dredd part XII Mega City One will be at the grand scale of the comics.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

As been said before little by little, just the facts first. Nail the character, the environment, the system then add the extras.

Its all about the character first and foremost.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

dweezil2

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 04 June, 2012, 03:27:48 AM
As been said before little by little, just the facts first. Nail the character, the environment, the system then add the extras.

Its all about the character first and foremost.

Exactly. All the background stuff is just window dressing. Get the character right and you've got yourself a movie!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Danbo

If it sits somewhere along my cheesy B movie shelf besides Pitch Black,Underworld/s,Outlander,Red,Centurion and Dog Soldiers without embarrassing its self then I'll be more than happy.
Not expecting the next Starwars,Bladerunner,Inception or Pulp Fiction,just a cool  little 3 star film that will automatically get and extra star from me because its fucking Dredd.
Not too much to hope for is it?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

vzzbux

A film about Judge Dredd with a Wagner stamp of approval.
For a Dredd fan what more could you ask for.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Danbo

I'll still reserve judgement,been burned before by a creators 'stamp of approval' :)
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.