Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

No I knew that bit guys ! I'm not writing with crayons here  :P.Fixed it now ,had some lock on my computer.

Site looks good.Excellent poster to work with helps, hopefully more material will be added soon.

Misanthrope

Not the real thing, sadly, but just found this on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCW8Dm3Qcs
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

MR. ELIMINATOR

I am slightly confused why they only put the facebook address on the teaser poster when they were going to put up a proper website a couple of days later.

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Goaty

Yes that Lionsgate twitter is good to follow.

radiator

Yep it's a great way to keep up with all the latest news about What to Expect When You're Expecting.

Buddy

Quote from: skurvy on 12 June, 2012, 09:37:11 AM
The official website is up: http://www.dreddthemovie.com/

Anyone else spotted the typo in the synopsis??

Buddy

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 12 June, 2012, 11:22:20 AM
Quote from: chuffsteruk on 12 June, 2012, 11:09:00 AM
Oops!The synopsis has `executioner`mis-spelt as`eecutioner` :o

Beat me to it.The synopsis also ends midway 'Dredd is assigned to train'...or is that a fault at my end?

D'oh!

Well beaten to it there!

The Sherman Kid

Probably been posted somewhere before but it terms of gross worldwide box office revenue what would the Dredd movie need to reach to practically guarantee a sequel?

radiator

At least double it's budget ($70-80m), more likely three times it's budget ($100m+).

I have only a very rudimentary understanding of these things, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I get the impression that as it is an independent, international, non-Hollywood production, there isn't as much riding on a big opening weekend at the US Box Office as there is for most modern films of this type. I expect the filmmakers will have an eye on the international market, and take into account DVD/BD/VoD sales as this is probably where the film will make alarge share of it's money.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: radiator on 12 June, 2012, 01:26:45 PM
Yep it's a great way to keep up with all the latest news about What to Expect When You're Expecting.

Just noticed that...what the hell are they filling it up with that for?...
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Goaty

Quote from: BOODA on 12 June, 2012, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: radiator on 12 June, 2012, 01:26:45 PM

Just noticed that...what the hell are they filling it up with that for?...

Silly question, cos it's is Lionsgate's film, they are promote it...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 12 June, 2012, 01:42:52 PM
Probably been posted somewhere before but it terms of gross worldwide box office revenue what would the Dredd movie need to reach to practically guarantee a sequel?

Theatres take around 20% of box-office takings in the first week, it falls to around 60-50% thereafter. So realistically it needs to make around 2 times the budget to break-even and 3 times to justify a sequel. Some of the budget, if not most, has been made back in distribution deals.

JOE SOAP

District 9 made about 6 times original budget.

norse_sage

Actually, the US opening weekend means a lot, because regardless of wether the movie is a studio or independent production; the US opening weekend will label it as a flop or a hit. May not be accurate in a technical sense, but the label will stick.

How the movie fares in the US or the UK means nothing to the bottom line of, say, ze german or deh norwegian distributor, but if audiences in those countries percieve that Dredd is a flop from the entertainment news, twitter or RSS feed; many who otherwise would consider going won't waste their money on a flop and a troubled production (and that will be back in full force). If it turns out to be labelled as a hit, the opposite is true - then many who otherwise would have dismissed it as a Stallone remake might give it a chance, "since so many seem to like it". And this perception can indeed affect the bottom line of local distributors and thus sequel prospects.

In order to secure a sequel, the movie must create profits for a majority of the local distributors worldwide.

My guesstimate would be that if it manages to secure 50 mill + in the US and 50 + worldwide, most if not all stakeholders are in the black and ready for a sequel. Less then that, and things aren't so sure.