Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

:-[ Shouldn't have posted that, should I? and I can't delete it, bloody nora...feeling like a twat, I'm going to crawl away under my desk now....
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Steve Green

Quote from: Banners on 15 June, 2012, 09:30:49 AM
The pics are great. That said, assuming those chaps in the background are Extras, I gotta say that I think the outfits we had for Minty were much better.

It's all about context, if you've got the weirdness of the comic elsewhere it gives you a free rein.

I wouldn't expect the extras to be all kneepads and helmets and goths, but I think they could have pushed it a bit further rather than the extras looking no different to crew, just so that someone with that helmet sits better.

Just my 2 cents.

Beeks

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 June, 2012, 10:41:29 AM
Quote from: Banners on 15 June, 2012, 09:30:49 AM
The pics are great. That said, assuming those chaps in the background are Extras, I gotta say that I think the outfits we had for Minty were much better.

It's all about context, if you've got the weirdness of the comic elsewhere it gives you a free rein.

I wouldn't expect the extras to be all kneepads and helmets and goths, but I think they could have pushed it a bit further rather than the extras looking no different to crew, just so that someone with that helmet sits better.

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's beyond obvious that we are looking at film crew
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

Quote from: Beeks on 15 June, 2012, 10:49:18 AMI think it's beyond obvious that we are looking at film crew

And the guy Anderson has arrested? 

Goaty

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2012, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: Beeks on 15 June, 2012, 10:49:18 AMI think it's beyond obvious that we are looking at film crew

He got arrested for wearing vintage clothes.

Teivion

I like the way DNA have put THEIR stamp on Dredd, it makes a nice seperation from the movie Dredd and the comic Dredd.
Everyones a winner ..

IAMTHESYSTEM

The photos certainly look the biz to me and as for the crew/extras debate I assume that since Mega City citz don't have a lot of money so they wear hand me downs or cheap jeans and sneakers which is pretty much what we see.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Beeks

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2012, 10:56:37 AM

What about him?

Dressed pretty neutral if you ask me

I hate all this 'if you're from the future you have to look like a cyber-punk' shit

Do all people suddenly lose their taste?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

Quote from: Beeks on 15 June, 2012, 11:00:26 AM
Dressed pretty neutral if you ask me

I hate all this 'if you're from the future you have to look like a cyber-punk' shit

Do all people suddenly lose their taste?

I'm not knocking the costuming, I'm just observing that the character in the film is dressed consistently with the folk in the background, thus challenging your assertion that they are 'beyond obvious[ly]' film crew .

radiator

QuoteI like the way DNA have put THEIR stamp on Dredd, it makes a nice seperation from the movie Dredd and the comic Dredd.
Everyones a winner ..

Indeed.

Pretty soon we'll have DNA's fresh vision of the character and Minty, which will be closer to the source material. We're being spoilt if anything.

JOE SOAP

They look like obvious extras to me rather than crew, not just cos of how they look but by the fact that they wouldn't be in those positions during a shoot because they'll likely end up in the angle of shot.

There's an extra on the far left of the 'Avon arrested' picture behind the camera that looks like a female shop-clerk in a red apron, sandals and beige cap.

Banners

Quote from: Beeks
I hate all this 'if you're from the future you have to look like a cyber-punk' shit. Do all people suddenly lose their taste?

As others have said, it's all about context so it's not right to judge this on some unofficial, raw shots seen outside of whatever mise-en-scène the film is going for.

However, the world of MC1 is so rich, and the potential of sci-fi cinema so vast, that it would perhaps be nice to see a bit of imagination in the Cits' costumes. Also, and to reference Minty again, there was a load of litter lying around (complete with in-jokes), whereas I can't see any trash in that pic.

To conclude, Dredd and Anderson look ace. It's all hugely exciting! And I'm not complainin', I'm just sayin'...

TordelBack

It does appear to be in line with the 'near future' we've seen since the beginning, which is fine by me: a consistent workable vision is the critical thing.  If anything the contemporary normalcy of the backdrop should serve to foreground the SF elements of Judges, Psis, Slo-Mo and Blocks.   

Personally I'd be more of a fan of the 'gigapolis of crazies' approach to MC-1 than the 'neo-noir future crime', but I don't think bellywheels, muties and Citizen Snork have been on the cards for quite a while now.  If that's the price of a good film, I'll happily pay it.

Diminished Responsibility

That's never Wood Harris!?!

Also,{SCRIPT SPOILER} [spoiler]some later shots in that set feature a skate ramp, I believe there are several scenes where one is mentioned. If that's from DREDD then thats a nice Punisher skull :)[/spoiler]
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Diminished Responsibility

"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"