Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

As there biggest poster of motion poster on another thread, I notice this, is that First Aid on left bag?

COMMANDO FORCES

Bag! I would rather think that it was called a First Aid pouch or First Aid kit  ;)

dracula1

That motion poster is pure awesome! . . . this just gets better by the minute. I wonder if a forumite will be lucky enough to win the ticket to Diego?!  :P

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 July, 2012, 05:12:56 PM
Who's going to be the naughty squaxx to ask the question about Pete Travis?

Pete Travis was never the Director of Dredd. He fought with Jones at The Battle of Cowshed, he sneaks onto the farm at night to steal food, and his agents are everywhere.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 03 July, 2012, 08:33:28 PM
As there biggest poster of motion poster on another thread, I notice this, is that First Aid on left bag?

It was in the set photo too:

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 July, 2012, 09:11:20 PM

It was in the set photo too:

Yeah it was blur as you can't see what it should be.

nicklarr

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 03 July, 2012, 08:35:42 PM
Bag! I would rather think that it was called a First Aid pouch or First Aid kit  ;)
Med-kit!

darnmarr

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 July, 2012, 08:33:07 PM
Unless they all snuck into the cinema, they didn't add much to the box office.

Maybe it's just become a cult thing with vocal fans.
I've been wondering about this:

The nostalgia critic 's pretty popular; and had no small part in the belated success of Tommy Wiseu's The Room ; his critique on Judge Dredd is considered one of his best, so maybe that's it...or maybe it is simply 90's nostalgia ( for those who grew up in that decade).
I do remember an episode of 'Scrubs' where the main character's affection for the Judge Dredd film was more or less used to deliniate what an absolute idiot he was, so maybe times have changed, I dunno.

Ultimately (like 'The Raid' comparisons), I actually think it may bode well for the desired "Sleeper hit"-type-success that a future of the Dredd franchise requires: because despite (or because of) Stallone and Schneider, Dredd 's on a lot of people's radar,- and that's all for the good:

DREDD doesn't need folk to attend it expecting the greatest story ever told; it only needs enough people with enough curiosity to bother seeing it at all, and then (regardless of positive-negative expectations) for it to be really rather marvellous.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Yeah, I think it is really gonna blow a lot of people minds.

ABCwarBOT

I've seen a few people mention this Raid film and it's similarities to Dredd.   I've also read people saying they've seen the script for Dredd.   Which started filming first and why wasn't the script kept secret?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 03 July, 2012, 11:50:33 PM
I've seen a few people mention this Raid film and it's similarities to Dredd.   I've also read people saying they've seen the script for Dredd.   Which started filming first and why wasn't the script kept secret?

Dredd was in-the-can and had just started post-production before the Raid started filming. The Dredd script's been around since the second half of 2010 - shit happens. All but the most heavily guarded big-studio scripts manage to be kept secret.

darnmarr

The Raid and Dredd(script) both have strengths:in neither case is that strength the originality of the plot.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 03 July, 2012, 05:33:59 PM
See, this is why I don't like the fact he is the director, as some people will think it is his film, as in credits to most films, the director would get something like "lionsgate presents, a peter travis film"  but this clearly isn't his film at all.  And also, I don't think his films are very good.

It's not Travis' film, they may use the word 'collaboration' in regards to the movie's creative direction, but that's just PR baloney, it was always Alex Garland and DNA Films' baby; they negotiated for the film rights with Rebellion, they met with John Wagner and discussed the film, they agreed to and developed the eventual storyline, they worked with Jock on the conceptual designs, and they went to Cannes to secure financing, it was only after financing was secured in May 2010 that Travis' involvement was confirmed...

And I like some of Travis' previous work, Endgame was excellent, whilst Vantage Point was solid entertainment, any flaws in that I think lay with the script rather than direction or editing, Travis' kinetic and fluid directing/visual style would work gangbusters for a 24 movie, but I think he'll be working on a new film by then, pity... 
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

I really should clarify the above; when I said it was Alex Garland's and DNA Films' baby, I meant it was their vision for Dredd that makes it ultimately what it is, of course there was active collaboration with Pete Travis during principal photography, he was hired to direct the the film, but it was collaboration on a mostly technical capacity - framing and lighting shots, working with actors, etc - it was always a DNA Films production more than a Pete Travis film, if you see what I mean (and certainly not to disrespect or minimize Travis' contributions)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Stan

I didn't even realise Goaty was talking about a new pic but I love that poster. Definitely a fan of non-Versace Dredd.