Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlurbaninternational

@Goaty: Thank you for the snippet.

darnmarr

"Damnation Alley" was 20th century Fox's big-budget sci-fi the same year that they made Star Wars for half the money: budgets smudgets, I say.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BOODA on 06 July, 2012, 03:46:07 PM

Maybe the budget is up because PKD is more broadly known in the film industry as a genius because of Minority Report and a Scanner Darkly etc...but it is surprising. I thought the Arnie version seemed to date overnight.

Total Recall got that budget because it's based on a previously successful property, as RoboCop is too. Budget is relative. The first Total Recall in 1990 cost $60 million, adjusting for inflation and cost, the same type of Hollywood film made 20 years later would probably cost $200 million, ergo TR's current budget. A Star Wars film cost $11 million back in 1976, it cost $115 million in 1998.

If the Itallion Stallion's Dredd had been successful it'd be a different story and we wouldn't be getting what's coming. There is a god, metaphysically speaking.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 July, 2012, 08:19:09 PM
There is a god

No there isn't!  :'(

Total Recall 1990
Budget   $60 Million
Box office   $261 Million

Judge Dredd 1995
Budget   $90 million
Box office   $113 million

JOE SOAP

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 06 July, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
There is a god

Total Recall 1990
Budget   $60 Million

Judge Dredd 1995
Budget   $90 million

I'm happy with those figure, you must like Stallone.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 July, 2012, 10:07:58 PM
Quote from: HunterZolomon on 06 July, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
There is a god

Total Recall 1990
Budget   $60 Million

Judge Dredd 1995
Budget   $90 million

I'm happy with those figure, you must like Stallone.
You say that like it's a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with Stallone, apart from his barely intelligible voice and his dodgy acting, but regardless, the man has made some pretty good Big Dumb Action Movies. Dredd was not one of them, unfortunately.
You may quote me on that.

Goaty

I got to say, I like the opening of 1995 Judge Dredd but hate the film!

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Goaty on 06 July, 2012, 10:17:37 PM

That, Ian Drury and Hammerstein. Angel Gang had potential the rest you can bin.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

JOE SOAP

The only bit I like is the West Wall.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That movie made Hammerstein look like a useless, clumsy, clunky, agricultural machine, that could be outsmarted by Rob 'Deuce Biggolo Male Giggilo' Schneider.
You may quote me on that.

Mardroid

Nar. He might have been beaten too easily (and that's debatable as I seem to remember him doing quite a bit of damage) but that was a cool looking robot. Possibly one of my favourite designs on film, I'd say.

Stan

Maybe in a perfect world you've have a $200M Dredd film made by people who weren't prepared to compromise on the character, but that's as likely to happen as me winning the lottery.

With the route they've taken, I'm a lot more confident of seeing sequels featuring a main character actually done right. And to top it off I'm liking the old skool tone of the film anyway.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Total Recall dated? I disagree. Arnie's films age better with time in my opinion. This is not sarcasm by the way. I really enjoy them. They're probably not enjoyed in the way they were intended, but I have a great time and lots of laughs.

Anyways, back to budget. The makers of the film have said from the get go that they have a vision and it involves a R in the U.S.A and a 18 in Europe, (I only learned that recenlty) but they have stuck to their guns and gone for it, and that in my opinion is more valuable then the highest budget movie in the world.

There is nothing worse then a film that tries to please everyone, as all they will result in is a generic, bland piece of crap that will please no one. At least this way, there is a film that people will either enjoy or they won't, and I think most Dredd fans will be the former. As for everyone else, fuck 'em!

(On a side note, I was talking to a guy who saw the trailer, who grew up with 2000AD like I assume most of you guys did (inner brackets now, but I am only 20 so didn't) and he said he wasn't too impressed with mega city one, but I think I swayed him with talk of low budget and how boring most futuristic cities have become in films, with a bit of "how awesome was mad max?"

I still stand firm that this film is gonna rock everyone's fucking socks off, and although I loved the trailer, I can see how it might not appeal to more people then it did, but in a way it's good thing, as there is no better feeling then being pleasantly surprised after watching a film. (Well, there is, but it's still a petty darn good feeling.)

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Goaty on 06 July, 2012, 10:17:37 PM

The first twenty minutes (up until the end of the Block War sequence) was magnificent; epic and action-packed... after that, it fell off the cliff straight into the abyss, and it was bye bye from there on in...

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 06 July, 2012, 10:33:19 PM
That, Ian Drury and Hammerstein. Angel Gang had potential the rest you can bin.

They're Mega-City One was pretty darn good, admittedly...

Quote from: pops1983 on 06 July, 2012, 10:45:56 PM
That movie made Hammerstein look like a useless, clumsy, clunky, agricultural machine, that could be outsmarted by Rob 'Deuce Biggolo Male Giggilo' Schneider.

They should have went with a mixture of on-set animatronics and Go-Motion puppetry, IMHO, like the Kane droid in RoboCop 2...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

A Star Wars film cost $11 million back in 1976, it cost $115 million in 1998.

That was the prequels that cost that amount, the original 1977 movie would cost a mere $40m if made today - http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/01/17/what-would-star-wars-cost-in-2012-dollars/ - a bargain even by today's standard...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.