Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Fuck those quotes above.

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2012, 07:40:51 PM

It's hard to say what Rico has a character because he hasn't really been given the opportunity to develop, apart from the Return of Rico, Blood cadets and cameos here and there, he's not really had much exposure.

I don't agree that making it more involved would ruin the simplicity, they just didn't do it well in the film. I'd want to see something where Rico is more than just an Assante style sociopath, he doesn't have to have any grand schemes, just be able to show why someone of Dredd's stock would go bad, something along the lines of Blood Cadets, whether it's inherent or if it's more comfortable to think it the result of a freak occurrence.

I think part of the attraction of Rico -and also reveals insight into the stubbornness of the bloodline trait- is that after 20 years he just wants revenge on Joe to prove a point of being better, nothing else, that would make for a pretty small personal film and certainly not the story you'd want if you want a bigger sequel with a bigger story which I believe is the intention. As a small recollection or short prequel it's fine but not as the main thrust of narrative.

For a greater bloodline/Mega-City story: Eustace Fargo and/or Morton Judd are the men for that story.

strangelysaucy

does anyone have a copy of the presspack they'd be willing to email me? I've missed the boat on that link by the looks of it :(
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Stan

Thanks for the reminder. I keep meaning to check out the Quicktime vid..

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 July, 2012, 01:05:37 AM
The full Dredd Press Pack

Can be downloaded from here: http://dredd.distribucioncinecolombia.com/

Courtesy of ECBT2

MOD EDIT: Be mindful the press pack has plenty of spoilers—including a fairly in-depth breakdown of the entire plot.

Stan

"400 - Bad Request"

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Stan

Message me your email. I still have the press pack zip.

SmallBlueThing

Moving the penile colony to the moon is a bad and unscientific idea, as everyone knows due to the lack of gravy, you can just leap off the moon and fly back to earth. What use a judicial colony where prisoners were forever escargot by jumble sale? I think they should avoid all mention of richard and anything even tenuously linked to the stalking movie, and go in a completely difficult directive. Less richard in the cupped earth/ angry gang, and more new idiots please!

SBT

TordelBack

Your phone is a treasure, SBT!

Occurs that you could do a fantastic pre-credits/opening sequence with Urban as Fargo or Rico where you don't know he isn't Dredd until a critical moment.

ming

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:19:45 PM
Moving the penile colony to the moon is a bad and unscientific idea, as everyone knows due to the lack of gravy, you can just leap off the moon and fly back to earth. What use a judicial colony where prisoners were forever escargot by jumble sale? I think they should avoid all mention of richard and anything even tenuously linked to the stalking movie, and go in a completely difficult directive. Less richard in the cupped earth/ angry gang, and more new idiots please!

SBT

Heh, I think I remember seeing that post on The Two Ronnies once.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2012, 08:21:13 PM
Occurs that you could do a fantastic pre-credits/opening sequence with Urban as Fargo or Rico where you don't know he isn't Dredd until a critical moment.

The original Rico story played a variation of the trick with Rico at the vid-phone.

SmallBlueThing

Apologies, a crap gag about jumping off the moon was ruined even further by the predictive sex and 'next word' functions both being on for some reason, and me naughtily texting a response while having a conversation at work. Basically, id rather no rico/ cursed ears/ angry gang, and new ideas instead, so as not to inadvertently recall the stallone movie.

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:36:50 PM
Apologies, a crap gag about jumping off the moon was ruined even

I wouldn't say that.

Greg M.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:19:45 PM
What use a judicial colony where prisoners were forever escargot by jumble sale?

You are the reincarnation of Stanley Unwin, and I claim my five pounds.

Pete Wells

I agree with SBT (I think!) I'd steer clear of Rico all together, too close to the Stallone tripe. There are a million other ideas to explore!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 July, 2012, 09:02:57 PM
I agree with SBT (I think!) I'd steer clear of Rico all together, too close to the Stallone tripe. There are a million other ideas to explore!

The growing notion that they seem to have gotten over the biggest hurdle of making another film with a character called Judge Dredd - the biggest concern - in it should give confidence, if successful, that a character called Rico could make an appearance too. As long as Rico's not the main antagonist or someone whomthe plot revolves around I see no problem with his story making an appearance or acting as a short prequel for marketing.

The Adventurer

They could skip to introduce Rico as Dredd's clone son/brother who gradually goes bad by the end of the movie. You could tell several recurring Dredd themes there. The Cadet Final Evaluation, Rico slowing going bad, and the final showdown.

Maybe even start the movie in the future telling the Return of Rico story. Then after Dredd guns Rico down, tell Rico and his connection to Dredd in flashback for the rest of the movie.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK