Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

A lower budget gory R-rated 3D genre film from Lionsgate manages to knock the Hobbit off top-spot in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20930368

Fisticuffs

You have to admit that Texas Chainsaw Massacre has one hell of a bigger present in mainstream culture than Dredd does though, although it's still impressive that it made its budget back in one weekend!

Steve Green

Yeah, it was more an observation about factors that it 'was the 3D, or the gore, or the timing'.

Seems like the audience was mainly people who'd never seen the original - to be honest neither have I (except fleetingly), yet I know the outline of it.

Funny how they mention the actors in this film - I've not the foggiest who they are.

SmallBlueThing

Yay! Go Leatherface! Kick that nasty little furry-footed freak into next week, and skin him alive while youre at it!

SBT

Steve Green

Leatherface has got a nice new pair of slippers anyway.

radiator

Seems quite anomalous that a film like Dredd - which sank without a trace theatrically, seems to be doing so well on home video - at least I think it is, I don't pay much attention to the charts ordinarily. Is it normal for a film that did so poorly to race up the charts on both sides of the Atlantic? Did other movies that did similar business to Dredd - Lockout and Drive Angry for example - top the home video charts on release?

It's starting to look like good sense to release it after Christmas now - it would have been lost amongst all the big-hitters.

Steve Green

I don't know, I take these charts with a pinch of salt TBH.

Can't find an independent source, but this was quoted by someone on another site - although this is for books rather than DVD/BR

""What does the sales rank mean?

Our sales rank is a bestseller list much like The New York TimesĀ® Best Sellers list, except instead of listing just the top 50 or so titles, it includes millions! The lower the number, the higher the popularity for that particular title in comparison to other items listed. Items are ranked within their product category only, so a book ranked at Number 1 is the best-selling book at Amazon.com, but may not be the overall best-selling item.

Sales rank data is calculated hourly. While we cannot provide specific information about our calculation formula, Amazon.com Marketplace sales are also included in the calculation. Please keep in mind that our sales rank figures are simply meant to be a guide of general interest for the customer and not definitive sales information for publishers - we assume you have this information regularly from your distribution sources.""

James Stacey

if its updated hourly it means its consistently outselling other items which surely is more impressive ? 

radiator

QuoteSales rank data is calculated hourly. While we cannot provide specific information about our calculation formula, Amazon.com Marketplace sales are also included in the calculation. Please keep in mind that our sales rank figures are simply meant to be a guide of general interest for the customer and not definitive sales information for publishers - we assume you have this information regularly from your distribution sources

Weird - you think it'd be a pretty simple, binary thing to work out which items are selling most units.

shaolin_monkey

Do you think Amazon are paid to put some releases higher up the list than others, such as Smiths moving some magazine titles to the front of shelves..?

Steve Green

Yes.

Hope the effort the publishers are making results in decent sales.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Surely best sellers means what items are selling best?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 January, 2013, 01:15:18 PM

""What does the sales rank mean?

Our sales rank is a bestseller list much like The New York TimesĀ® Best Sellers list, except instead of listing just the top 50 or so titles, it includes millions! The lower the number, the higher the popularity for that particular title in comparison to other items listed. Items are ranked within their product category only, so a book ranked at Number 1 is the best-selling book at Amazon.com, but may not be the overall best-selling item.

Sales rank data is calculated hourly. While we cannot provide specific information about our calculation formula, Amazon.com Marketplace sales are also included in the calculation. Please keep in mind that our sales rank figures are simply meant to be a guide of general interest for the customer and not definitive sales information for publishers - we assume you have this information regularly from your distribution sources.""

In simple terms the best-selling item is only best-selling in its respective category i.e. the best-selling book is the best selling book, the best-selling blu-ray is the best-selling blu-ray.

Fisticuffs

Makes sense, would be pretty damn impressive for Dredd to be the best selling single item on the entirety of the behemoth that is Amazon!