Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 27 February, 2013, 04:47:29 PM
Seeing as our local Cineworld will often re-show such claptrap as Mulan Rouge and Titanic (though, to be fair, last year I did get to see Plague of the Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit, jaws AND Gremlins on the big screen at CW. Not all bad then.) I think it's a possibility.

Isn't Mulan Rouge the hentai version of the Disney cartoon?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Michaelvk on 27 February, 2013, 05:08:23 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 27 February, 2013, 04:47:29 PM
Seeing as our local Cineworld will often re-show such claptrap as Mulan Rouge and Titanic (though, to be fair, last year I did get to see Plague of the Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit, jaws AND Gremlins on the big screen at CW. Not all bad then.) I think it's a possibility.

Isn't Mulan Rouge the hentai version of the Disney cartoon?
You make it sound like it might actualy be good. :lol:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 27 February, 2013, 04:45:23 PM
There may or may not have been something interesting to learn but I doubt Chiefy was thinking about anything beyond making a point concerning Anderson's powers.

Chiefy wasn't but Dredd was.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: BOODA on 27 February, 2013, 11:33:36 AM
Something I wondered about, if anyone has any insights...(apologies if this has been covered to death) but when Anderson scans Dredd she says Dredd is '...almost.' and the CJ cuts her off with ''that's enough Anderson' or some such. 'Almost' what I wondered?... and why cut her off unless it's something Dredd shouldn't know?

There may or may not have been something interesting to learn but I doubt Chiefy was thinking about anything beyond making a point concerning Anderson's powers. It would've been unethical to let her carry on further.

That's true, it doesn't need to mean anything.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

darnmarr

Quote from: BOODA on 27 February, 2013, 08:19:01 PM
Something I wondered about, if anyone has any insights...(apologies if this has been covered to death) but when Anderson scans Dredd she says Dredd is '...almost.' and the CJ cuts her off with ''that's enough Anderson' or some such. 'Almost' what I wondered?... and why cut her off unless it's something Dredd shouldn't know?

There may or may not have been something interesting to learn but I doubt Chiefy was thinking about anything beyond making a point concerning Anderson's powers. It would've been unethical to let her carry on further.

My take was that this whole exchange was a kind of dramatic device to frame Dredd for the audience: like the script is deliberately and self-conciously making Dredd fascinating and enigmatic and mythical by actively refusing explain him to an audience. I reckon it's quite brilliant. This is the Dredd from the comics explained in one line: yes, there's plenty going on under that helmet- but we're not getting into his 'back-story' or 'motivation'; he's not that kind of hero, this is not that kind of story...

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: darnmarr on 27 February, 2013, 08:40:42 PM

My take was that this whole exchange was a kind of dramatic device to frame Dredd for the audience: like the script is deliberately and self-conciously making Dredd fascinating and enigmatic and mythical by actively refusing explain him to an audience. I reckon it's quite brilliant. This is the Dredd from the comics explained in one line: yes, there's plenty going on under that helmet- but we're not getting into his 'back-story' or 'motivation'; he's not that kind of hero, this is not that kind of story...

That's it, nice one.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: BOODA on 27 February, 2013, 08:54:55 PM

That's it, nice one.

And what an antidote to the trend of writing an origin story....to every character that hits the big screen.

Stan

Yeah, I think it performed that function rather well.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BOODA on 27 February, 2013, 08:57:07 PM
And what an antidote to the trend of writing an origin story....to every character that hits the big screen.

And they say Americans don't get Dredd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZn8yGoGynY&t=30m47s

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 February, 2013, 08:59:00 AM
Quote from: BOODA on 27 February, 2013, 08:57:07 PM

And they say Americans don't get Dredd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZn8yGoGynY&t=30m47s

That was fun.

MR. ELIMINATOR

So I was listening to one of my friends talk to one of his friends, who'd I already told dredd was awesome, and he went on about how it was proper 2000ad dredd, and I was like 'yeah, this is well cool' then I asked him if he watched it at the cinema for the 3D and he said "nah, I wish I did"

Blooody ridiculous. Part of me thinks my dad, who has been collecting 2000ad on and off since it started (mostly on) wouldn't have even gone if I hadn't of booked the ticket for him. So it just makes me ponder the whole sequel thing more. Times are changing, why is being a box office hit so important?

Michaelvk

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 02 March, 2013, 04:32:45 AM
So I was listening to one of my friends talk to one of his friends, who'd I already told dredd was awesome, and he went on about how it was proper 2000ad dredd, and I was like 'yeah, this is well cool' then I asked him if he watched it at the cinema for the 3D and he said "nah, I wish I did"

Blooody ridiculous. Part of me thinks my dad, who has been collecting 2000ad on and off since it started (mostly on) wouldn't have even gone if I hadn't of booked the ticket for him. So it just makes me ponder the whole sequel thing more. Times are changing, why is being a box office hit so important?

$$$$$$$$$
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

Or if you're Rhythm and Hues, you'll get stiffed whether it's a hit or not.

JOE SOAP

Dredd gets released in Sino-Cit:

JOE SOAP

3D films do best in China and distributors generally prefer films in 3D.

China only allows 34 foreign films a year be released in their 13,000 cinemas but foreign companies take 25% of ticket price. 

500 films are domestic releases but foreign films account for 45% of revenue.