Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 June, 2015, 02:33:34 PM
I disagree but I always see the worst in things! Though the Hollywood reporter says the 1995 film was pretty flat the general tone of the article proposed that the Dredd Universe was too complicated to be reduced for for easy mass consumption. Judge Dredd has had three decades worth of material and that's a lot of stuff to juggle with.

But there's no need to juggle it all and distill it into one film. I see it more as a fault in translation by the translators rather than the requirement to reduce 38 years of storylines into 90 minutes. Is a Dredd film really any more complicated an adaptation than a literary adaptation like L.A. Confidential? It's certainly not as mammoth a task as a Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones in terms of the need for a continuing story across multiple episodes. They've been spoiled for choice in the material they could adapt or expand upon for adaptation but what the 1995 Dredd was faced with was a wall erected by the producers/writers themselves: they didn't want to make a Judge Dredd film and they spent too much doing it.

QuoteI think at some point there might be another Dredd film but not until there's another leap in the cost of reducing Filmmaking and CGI to more manageable levels. $70-100 million dollars is the average for Action movies these days. No way is any studio going to put up the money for another Dredd Film but perhaps TV might offer a lifeline though not for a while.

That $70-100 million is an increase from what it previously was. Big budget film-making of the type Dredd requires to be fully represented on-screen is going in the opposite direction: it's getting more expensive. What has changed is that more people can afford or have access to the basic tools but it still takes time and talent to produce results no matter the advancement of the tools. Unless it were a really cheap production that looked cheap.

QuoteThe Punisher Movies were all pretty lame box office wise but  the Punisher character is to return in DareDevil on Netflix. Different Universe etc but if there's a place for a violent, psychotic vigilante on TV surely there might be space for a violent, future Cop as well. I still think that the world of JD is too bleak a view of the future for American consumers and it will always be a niche enterprise. If teaming up with Batman didn't do it for Judge Dredd by introducing him to a bigger market then there's little that will. If people don't wanna buy they don't wanna buy.

I don't tend to equate the comic market with the TV or film world and it's a miracle for any comic outside of known superheroes to sell in the numbers a Batman comic does these days.

Some of the bleakest visions of recent times have come from US TV series and films but if you can entertain people well enough they'll accept anything.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I want a Dredd Movie or series of 2000AD Films as badly as anyone else on this board. How to achieve that in light of recent events I really don't know. Dredd was a great Film that I expected to have a sequel but no go there and I'm floundering for an explanation on why that is. How can Ted 2 be commisioned and a Dredd sequel not? It's so unfair!

How to present a new Judge Dredd or Rogue Trooper Movie? Dilemma No1! In a way the HR article has given me a bit of hope. At least they're still talking about it.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Molch-R

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 June, 2015, 04:02:38 PM
Dredd was a great Film that I expected to have a sequel but no go there and I'm floundering for an explanation on why that is.

The simple fact is that not enough people went to see it and it didn't make any money.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yeah that but why didn't they go and see it? Mostly good reviews, positive vibe so why did f***ing Ted do better?  That's the issue I can't quite get around.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 June, 2015, 05:30:39 PM
Yeah that but why didn't they go and see it? Mostly good reviews, positive vibe so why did f***ing Ted do better?  That's the issue I can't quite get around.

Lack of interest, not a studio tentpole film with big set-pieces, no identifiable stars and the biggest elephant in the room: a maligned $90 million feature-length advertisment with the title Judge Dredd that was the only thing the general public knew of the brand for 17 years.

JOE SOAP

why did f***ing Ted do better?

TED was funny and had a talking teddy bear; funny goes a long way.

Molch-R

It was a major studio feature and had 10s of millions of dollars thrown at promotion as a result, it was the first feature film by one of the biggest names in US comedy, and starred two major Hollywood actors. It might not be your idea of a good movie but it was a crowd pleaser and it did well as a result. Hence the sequel.

COMMANDO FORCES

Stu101

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 June, 2015, 11:27:41 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 28 June, 2015, 07:02:38 PM
Hence the sequel.

WHEN?

I think about now CF

Ted 2 (2015)
R  |  115 min  |  Comedy  |  26 June 2015 (USA)

Rusty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 June, 2015, 06:34:34 PM

TED was funny
Debatable.

I personally thought it was shite.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 29 June, 2015, 12:09:42 AM
TED was funny
Debatable.

Debate doesn't matter; over half a billion dollars at the box-office proves it worked as a comedy the general audience liked.

Goaty

Cos some people are idiot!

Molch-R

Rusty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 June, 2015, 01:18:04 AM
Quote from: Rusty on 29 June, 2015, 12:09:42 AM
TED was funny
Debatable.

Debate doesn't matter; over half a billion dollars at the box-office proves it worked as a comedy the general audience liked.
That says a lot for the general audiences. We all know they love a turd.

shaolin_monkey