Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2016, 01:40:59 PM
(Notably, it fared significantly less well critically in the US, given that many reviewers clearly couldn't stomach the film and what it represented.)

Generally any film that trades on bloody violence will get mixed reviews and most of the criticisms seemed to focus on the film having 'a lack of depth' or 'seen it before' rather than it being a fascist police setting.

IndigoPrime

I just found it interesting how split the critical feedback was. The US was considerably more negative on the whole.

Dreddzilla

Tiplodocus

Watched it with Tiny Tips tonight. He thought it was good.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 10 March, 2016, 07:53:23 AM
I can feel the memes being cranked out already.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/367419-will-sylvester-stallone-appear-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-in-a-familiar-costume#/slide/1

His costume looks a bit Dreddish.
Not going to lie, Sly as a Nova Corp drill seargent would be the coolest damn thing.

And more [spoiler]Howard the Duck [/spoiler]can only be a good thing!

Goaty

Wil Wheaton like it.

http://wilwheaton.net/2016/04/remake-culture-is-the-worst-except-when-it-isnt/

I hate reboot culture. I hate that studios remake movies that were perfectly fine the first time around, simply because they're too afraid to take a chance on something new, different and unproven.

That said, in an instance like Dredd, where the original film adaptation was a catastrophic failure of flaming shit, I should be willing to make exceptions.

I should be, but I'm usually not, because I'm stubborn. So when I posted about how I didn't want to watch the 2012 version of the film, about two dozen people urged me to reconsider. I decided to take a chance (you know, like studios won't), and watched it last night. I am so glad that I did, because I loved everything about it. A lot of fans fixate on Dredd never taking off the helmet, which I understand, but I don't think that's its strongest selling point. What I loved about it was how it felt like a proper motion picture adaptation of the 2000 A.D comics I read in the 80s, and the Games Workshop games I played from that universe. The city blocks felt massive. The Judges felt powerful. The relationship between Dredd and Anderson felt real. She didn't need him to save her, even when he was trying to. The design of the entire picture, from the costumes to the sets to the little details like graffiti was pitch-perfect. And the photography was sensational.

I felt like it started to wobble a little bit in the third act, but like I originally wrote yesterday, I was on board by that point so I was willing to go along with it and let it be. I'm guessing that there won't be any sequels, or we would have heard about it by now. If that's the case, it's a bummer, because I'd like to see these characters and this universe again ... but maybe it's for the best that this film can simply exist as its own thing, without being tainted by a sequel that lets us down (OH HAI THE MATRIX). Or maybe it's a tragedy that Dredd won't get its Aliens or T2. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

IndigoPrime

I'm glad he liked it, but that notion of reboot culture is a pity, especially regarding adaptations. Why not have another crack at something, if enough time has passed AND if you will offer a significantly different spin on it? Doubly so if this is a take on wide-ranging source material — as in, decades of Dredd vs. reworking an existing one-off film property. And even in the latter case, there are plenty of great films that wouldn't exist if 'remakes' and 'reboots' couldn't happen.

The issue for me is that you have certain studios cynically rebooting on a regular interval, in order to retain rights, or because they keep screwing up.

James Dilworth

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

COMMANDO FORCES

Karl posted up on Twitter yesterday that he'd be up for a Dredd series on Netflix or Amazon, as there's a gold mine of awesome Mega-City 1 stories.

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 April, 2016, 02:28:27 AM
Karl posted up on Twitter yesterday that he'd be up for a Dredd series on Netflix or Amazon, as there's a gold mine of awesome Mega-City 1 stories.

Good for Karl to say that on Twitter, it will be retweet lots. Hope it Kickstarter.

Goaty

Christopher Edwards –  ‏@cjsedwards

On @netflix or @amazon Dredd series @KarlUrban says "conversations are happening" @Calgaryexpo #CalgaryExpo

Taryn Tailz