Main Menu

Keeping Dredd in the public eye!

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 14 June, 2012, 07:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I did go into more detail on here somewhere about the helmet and put all that debate to bed quite easily.

Steve Green

Quote from: blackmocco on 10 July, 2012, 05:36:13 PM
I'm dealing with pure ignorance of Dredd over here, sadly. People just don't know enough about him or 2000AD. The biggest gripe from people seems to be why the helmet is designed so Dredd can't see anything with the cross on the visor. It's hard to explain that's what it looks like in the comics and justify that as an answer simply because I've always thought that about the comics myself! Haha!

Also, people assume because 2000AD is British that so is Dredd. They seem surprised when I tell them he's American and that it's set in the US. (Perversely, whenever I imagine Johnny Alpha speaking it's in an American accent even though that's obviously not the case...)

<sigh>The battle rages on...

Just tell them to stick their fingers touching in an inverted v in front of their nose.

Diminished Responsibility

I've been saying that the red cross on the visor projects a HUD. bit of imaginary tech to throw of naysayers, never seen it in the comics though.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

COMMANDO FORCES

Here's an extra piece I wrote about the helmet, mainly for the people who just don't get it!

You need to read my post further along, I had a niggle all night about that. There was something in the back of my mind telling me there was a reason this was okay and it was the wearing of a respirator while I used to assault oil rigs and ships in British territorial waters, etc...
I had to be able to fast rope down from a chinook, or whatever was being used wearing it. Move through corridors/rooms/stairwells, etc... I had to be able use my primary and secondary weapons while wearing it. I had to, well you get the point.
Now how was I able to do that, training is how but unlike the Judges I didn't train for 15 years wearing it!

You must remember, training with constant drilling makes a lethal assault team work and produce the desired results. None of this shooting weapons out of peoples hands or going for a leg shot bollocks! If you turn a corner on an assault and confront an enemy, it's quite simple, he dies and with the least amount of effort on your part. I'm going off on a tangent now.

I hope the helmet/respirator comparison has quelled your fears now! If anything being able to see out of a respirator is a lot harder than a Judges helmet and I've worn both!

Obviously that can be altered to fit the post but here is a link to the whole thread from last year as well

MOVIE UNIFORM

MR. ELIMINATOR

I would say the best reason it's like that is because it looks cool.

darnmarr

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 10 July, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
I would say the best reason it's like that is because it looks cool.
The problem is, of course, that how cool/silly something looks is a matter of opinion.

I hate to be the one to say it, but – If someone, ( in some comment box somewhere on comicbookmovie sc-ifi.com) , doesn't like the look of the uniform, on aesthetic grounds, well then I don't see how they can argued into thinking differently; certainly not by an argument based on pure practicality, – because pure practicality explains the riot-gear aspect of the new design, but it patently doesn't explain the cross-piece: the cross-peice is there for style and for style only, and if people, (who are seeing that element for the first time ), dont find it 'cool' and instead find it distracting or impractical... well then, I imagine that they're quite likely to keep on thinking that no matter what any of us might say.

I suspect it's one of those things that wont matter three minutes into the film anyway, ( nobody worried about the practicality of V-for-Vendetta's vision because audiences quickly accepted the mask as his face
, and I suspect it'll be similar with Dredd ).

MR. ELIMINATOR

Well presumably Karl Urban could see while wearing it.  So it should be fine. Also I am pretty sure it had a judge cam in the trailer, plenty of logical theories.

Mardroid

I cant remember if it's ever been mentioned that the visor acts as an HUD in the comics. I do remember it being used to zoom in, though which would intrinsically require that capability. (Or maybe Dredd actually used his bionic eyes to do that? Confusingly I have seen him use binoculars- or sci-fi equivalent- too.)

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 July, 2012, 04:27:03 PM
I cant remember if it's ever been mentioned that the visor acts as an HUD in the comics. I do remember it being used to zoom in, though which would intrinsically require that capability. (Or maybe Dredd actually used his bionic eyes to do that? Confusingly I have seen him use binoculars- or sci-fi equivalent- too.)

It has been established in a few episodes over the years that the visor does have some kind of HUD, with infrared capability. The first appearance of this was in a very early episode.

Mardroid

Thanks.

Dredd was a lot more chatty in those days wasn't he? ;)

Steve Green

These days you'd be lucky to get a hmphh or two.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Haha, I was reading the cursed earth saga the other day and thought that too! He was a completely different person back then.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 July, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
Dredd was a lot more chatty in those days wasn't he? ;)

His whole life was ahead of him.

Steve Green

Jared, the 'Dredd' at SDCC had the idea of handing out cards so he could easily get hold of pictures taken - in the form of a citation for taking pictures illegally.

It has a Layar code which when scanned plays a video of him in character bawling them out.

Someone there tweeted about it -

That was the plan anyway... Layar was a bit clunky and the video only seems to play in the native player rather than mapped to the card - but it was something we decided to try out...

Steve Green