Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

Quote from: sintec on 25 January, 2021, 05:52:43 PM
I pretty much agree with you on 2 - if the issue is poverty then solve the poverty problem. How you do that then becomes the question but that's a separate point. 

Education can be a massive factor in lifting people out of poverty - even a basic education around biology and family planning can have a really positive impact.

Just read TLS's most recent post - doesn't want to impose his will on anyone but it's ok if the courts do but only it seems if a child is physically harmed. Has no appreciation of how strictly some parents can control the children's lives, doesn't really believe in schools but wants them open 24 hours a day regardless (although some online courses are available on demand, what do you do if you're poor and can't afford a computer or wifi or can't read because you're parents didn't think it was useful), won't defend at risk children in case his own freedoms are affected and is perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to child abuse. Tut tut tut.

Also FYI most children are likely to be abused by someone they know.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Rara Avis on 25 January, 2021, 06:54:43 PM

...perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to child abuse. Tut tut tut.

How fucking dare you?

And you called me a troll.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Okay folks, at the risk of stepping on people toes now ... actually fuck it ....

Please bear in mind that there are people in these parts that have first hand experience of what you are now talking about so glibly.

By all means debate the pros and cons of various different political philosophies.  I would honestly say that we've been round this too many times for it to be worth carrying on now and its time to call it a day.

We've spoken before about how civil this place generally is, largely because we tend to self-moderate.  So for the love of all that you hold dear ... fucking drop this NOW.

TordelBack

Tjm got there before me. This 'debate' is going nowhere good.

Rara Avis

Agreed, I'm happy enough to leave it at that.

Have a pleasant evening all, you too Shark, no hard feelings.

sintec

yep fair enough. Absolutely no desire to cause any upset.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 January, 2021, 07:27:11 PM
This 'debate' is going nowhere...

As usual.

Anyway, have you heard what's been happening in America this week?

No?

Me neither, it's feckin' great. I've found I have to go looking for news about America the past few days.

Not too happy with what's dominating headlines now mind you.
You may quote me on that.

Rara Avis

Covid and the budget deficit are about to become really hot topics.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 25 January, 2021, 08:32:53 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 25 January, 2021, 07:27:11 PM
This 'debate' is going nowhere...

As usual.

Anyway, have you heard what's been happening in America this week?

No?

Me neither, it's feckin' great. I've found I have to go looking for news about America the past few days.

It's odd alright.  Of course it's a huge relief not to be hearing about the Furious Orange (was it you who came up with that?), but for me, it's a bit of a weird feeling too - I was absolutely riveted by the madness surrounding Trump since the election, and now it seems bland and boring.  Bit like when I gave up the fags - they were horrible and toxic and disgusting but I still missed them for a while when they were gone.

But of course, it's great.  Wherever you may stand on the Twitter ban debate, the world is a far nicer place without his tweets.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I haven't been paying him any attention for four years so it's business as usual in the Sharkshed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, fair enough.  Though the ChristCurrach feels safe enough too - if the worst happens I'll bring on two of every animal that'll fit (not mice or rats, though, I've only just got rid of them).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Biden's been president less than a week and thousands of Americans are dead already.

JayzusB.Christ

It's quite a bodycount, alright.  Stretches all the way back to 1776.

Professor Bear

The Legendary Shark

Off topic a bit - what's the story behind the name "ChristCurrach"? Is it like a Jesus boat?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]