Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2016, 06:25:32 AM
Wow Charley's War - so rarely see that. Great stuff.

The realistic look of fear on that guy's face really sells it.

I've never read Charley's War. I wasn't really into war comics growing up, and that's kinda stuck*, although I did enjoy some of the Rogue Trooper (and expanded universe) stuff. But I'm wondering if Charley's War might actually be worth it. Not just for that phenomenal art, but from what I've read, the stance they take is rather different from the gung-ho stuff that's in a lot of war comics.

*I do remember reading one of those small COmmando comics once. Nice art, but I just didn't take to it.

matty_ae

Charley's War is something special.
There's a sort of random kinetic madness to everything he endures.
It's pure Pat Mills and should be on the curriculum.

RaggedMan

Hey Mardroid,
Like you I never got into war comics, Battle, Warlord etc just never did it for me. And I love Charley's War. It's a fantastic story in it's own right, showing WWI from the pov of an underage volunteer. The art is phenomenal, not just in the forensic detail, not just in the character acting but down to the mud which you can practically hear sucking at peoples feet as they trudge through it.
They can be a bit pricey but I would recommend the lovely hardback editions Titan put out. You get one or two introductory essays on aspects of the war and/or the strip's creation, nice big reproduction of the story and Pat Mills' annotations at the back showing his research, where he found evidence for some of the more outlandish things in the script, and also his battles with editorial. It's something special alright.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 January, 2017, 04:04:12 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2016, 06:25:32 AM
Wow Charley's War - so rarely see that. Great stuff.

The realistic look of fear on that guy's face really sells it.

I've never read Charley's War. I wasn't really into war comics growing up, and that's kinda stuck*, although I did enjoy some of the Rogue Trooper (and expanded universe) stuff. But I'm wondering if Charley's War might actually be worth it. Not just for that phenomenal art, but from what I've read, the stance they take is rather different from the gung-ho stuff that's in a lot of war comics.

*I do remember reading one of those small COmmando comics once. Nice art, but I just didn't take to it.

Charley's War is a must - there is a reason that it is so highly regarded, and its not just the art. Pat mills crafts an excellent cohesive story and really focuses on characterization. I do have a bias as I love war comics, but I will tell you, this is one of the best and not to be missed.

RaggedMan's recommendation to collect the Titan HC editions is spot on. Its a beautiful collection that collects all 10 volumes (and looks great on the bookshelf). The essays also lend to the realism of the strips and add value to the collection. Recommended!

Tjm86

Quote from: RaggedMan on 20 January, 2017, 06:14:11 PM

They can be a bit pricey but I would recommend the lovely hardback editions Titan put out. ..... It's something special alright.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone recently said that it should be on the curriculum.  I reckon one day it will.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 20 January, 2017, 06:14:46 PM
Its a beautiful collection that collects all 10 volumes (and looks great on the bookshelf).

Except for that pesky third volume missing the poppy.  Why, Titan, Why?  Do you have no idea how painful it is to look at it?

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 January, 2017, 07:21:01 PM
Except for that pesky third volume missing the poppy.  Why, Titan, Why?  Do you have no idea how painful it is to look at it?

Ahh yes! This drives me nuts as well! I am still trying to figure out how to create a sticker for the spine so it will match the rest! Maybe scan the poppy from another volume and print it out on sticker paper to make an exact copy? This comes to mind every time I look at my book shelf.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 January, 2017, 04:04:12 PM
But I'm wondering if Charley's War might actually be worth it.

Just to echo the unsurprising calls of 'Hell YES and three times YES' its so worth it. Its quite brilliant stuff. Its a kids comics and never forgets that. Quite miraclously though it retains an astonishly sharp undercurrent and it really is one of the greatest comics strips ever.

Mardroid

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll keep an eye out.

james newell

thumb nail image of penciled page I have to go up here soon, any ideas the story, character or artist before I do?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: james newell on 31 January, 2017, 10:07:34 PM
thumb nail image of penciled page I have to go up here soon, any ideas the story, character or artist before I do?

I'd bet cash that's a Kev Walker Tor Cyan page.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

james newell

Yes it, ..................... "Kev Walker Tor Cyan page"

james newell

Link Prime

I've a few pages of Walker's Tor Cyan too, lovely detail.
We continue to mourn the loss of this fantastic artist to the evil US Corporations.