Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 August, 2023, 02:33:57 PM...wished I'd got onto The Sandbaggers before a mate down the pub sold it to me as the best kind of Brit spy thriller come beuorocratic Kafkaesque nightmare just a few weeks back.

I would've been about 12 when this aired, so it'd be too booooring for me to watch when comics were better. I'm nearly through Series 2 right now and it is very good - not much shooty bang-bang and rather too much of serious people engaged in serious telephone conversations or reading serious files with serious expressions on their faces but, yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation, Hawkie!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 July, 2023, 08:18:35 AMRIP Network, nobody was giving vintage TV the time of day you folks where

Shite news.

I was looking for a copy of the recent Network DVD release of Tales of Unease, seems impossible to get hold of.

The entire series has been uploaded to Youtube however, so I binged the lot over two nights.
Episode quality ranges from decent to superb.

On the other side of the scales, both myself and the missus have tapped out after the 1st episode of season 3 of The Witcher. Boring, poorly written nonsense.

Hawkmumbler

been working my way through star trek the next generation for the first time. wrapped up season 1 and it really is as rough around the edges as it gets, code of honour might just be the 3/4 of and hour that genre television ever was blighted with, and angel one gives it a run for its money, yet there are also some real gems in there. loved encounter at fairpoint parts 1 and 2, hide and q, conspiracy and the neutral zone.
eager to see more, but can easily see why this wasn't going down well at the time, glad to know it does indeed get its act together by season 3.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 September, 2023, 06:16:56 PMBeen working my way through Star Trek The Next Generation for the first time. wrapped up season 1 and it really is as rough around the edges as it gets, Code of Honour might just be the absolute worst 3/4 of an hour that genre television has ever been blighted with, and Angel One gives it a run for its money, yet there are also some real gems in here. Loved Encounter at Fairpoint parts 1 &2, Hide and Q, Conspiracy and The Neutral Zone.
Eager to see more, but can easily see why this wasn't going down well at the time, glad to know it does indeed get its act together by season 3.

OK, here's that same post typed on a keyboard that actually seems to be working.

Funt Solo

Probably the daftest thing when re-watching season 1 of TNG is the reverence, fanfare and slow-motion with which they do the saucer separation. The Klingons be like "lets mull some blood wine - the Enterprise won't be done separating for another half hour".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 September, 2023, 06:58:41 PMOK, here's that same post typed on a keyboard that actually seems to be working.

Show off.

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 September, 2023, 07:06:50 PMProbably the daftest thing when re-watching season 1 of TNG is the reverence, fanfare and slow-motion with which they do the saucer separation. The Klingons be like "lets mull some blood wine - the Enterprise won't be done separating for another half hour".

I'll see your daft saucer separation and raise you "Fully Functional", or the episode when they visit Planet of the Tit-Tapes, Wesley is put on trial for violating a shrubbery and Picard's response is "Tough shit Bev". Or every scene with Worf.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 06 September, 2023, 12:14:13 AMWesley is put on trial for violating a shrubbery and Picard's response is "Tough shit Bev".

No wonder she [SPOILERS] kept the existence of his son a secret until he was old enough to be a sassy rogue.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Wesley is an annoying twat but honestly not as bad as I was lead to believe.

Maybe as a lifelong Who fan, Adric and his shit have inoculated me to this sort of thing.

The Legendary Shark

I suppose one could view Wesley as Star Trek being at the forefront of inclusionism by eschewing ageism on the bridge of Starfleet's flagship. Or one could view the character as tv execs shamelessly pandering to a younger audience.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Wesley wasn't my favorite character, certainly, but venturing even further off-topic, I really took against Neelix:

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to it, but probably everyone has a "oh fuck, it's a [character I despise] episode" thang with Star Trek. Nature of the beast. Also, his nose is an arse-crack. Oddly, there's no character in TOS that provoked that sort of reaction.

Phlox is a King Cnut as well. Maybe I just don't like smiling people.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There's an X-Men character called Forgetmenot, whose mutation makes everyone forget he x-ists unless they're looking right at him. Professor X has to leave notes and pictures all over the gaff so Logan doesn't just stab him or whatever.

Anyway, at least Neelix has a character to dislike. I think it's the noncey vibes he gives off.

Much worse is Janeway's XO...the...Inuit? Or something?
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 06 September, 2023, 09:09:00 PMMuch worse is Janeway's XO...the...Inuit? Or something?

I had to look it up - Chakotay. Of more relevance, I realized I had completely forgotten the character - I thought you were perhaps referring to Tuvok (who was also fairly boring, but memorably). Anyway - thank fuck for the holographic Doctor - I'm not sure I could've gotten through it all without him. And Reg.

What is the nature of your Trekkie emergency?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 06 September, 2023, 09:09:00 PMThere's an X-Men character called Forgetmenot, whose mutation makes everyone forget he x-ists unless they're looking right at him.

AKA: "What if Glyph from Halo Jones was an X-man..."
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 06 September, 2023, 12:14:13 AMI'll see your daft saucer separation and raise you "Fully Functional", or the episode when they visit Planet of the Tit-Tapes, Wesley is put on trial for violating a shrubbery and Picard's response is "Tough shit Bev". Or every scene with Worf.

You forgot the Scottish ghost fucker

The Legendary Shark

There's nothing so bad as Voyager's cheery Oirish holo-village.

*shudder*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]