Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 September, 2023, 11:49:50 PM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 06 September, 2023, 12:14:13 AMI'll see your daft saucer separation and raise you "Fully Functional", or the episode when they visit Planet of the Tit-Tapes, Wesley is put on trial for violating a shrubbery and Picard's response is "Tough shit Bev". Or every scene with Worf.

You forgot the Scottish ghost fucker

That was in the last season when they should've known better. I was talking about the weird and wobbly first season, which in retrospect is a bit endearing and kitsch.
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Almost at the end of Season 1 Its so steadfastly okay, just okay, nothing special and it should be given how good the comic it is based on is. Has given me a real hankering to read the comics again.

That said its not a chore, last couple of episodes have been a lot better (just finished 7 and that was very good) and so happy to carry on with it.

Pyroxian

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 September, 2023, 02:31:28 AMThere's nothing so bad as Voyager's cheery Oirish holo-village.

The Next Gen episode where they have to transport a bunch of Irish colonists comes pretty close though...

Funt Solo

Quote from: Pyroxian on 07 September, 2023, 10:09:07 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 September, 2023, 02:31:28 AMThere's nothing so bad as Voyager's cheery Oirish holo-village.
The Next Gen episode where they have to transport a bunch of Irish colonists comes pretty close though...

See also: French & Saunders deconstruct Titanic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

moly

Watched the last episode of season 2 of wheel of time what a fantastic episode 70 minutes of none stop action

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: moly on 06 October, 2023, 08:39:11 PMWatched the last episode of season 2 of wheel of time what a fantastic episode 70 minutes of none stop action

I'm afraid I bailed on this after Ep3 of the second season. I wasn't a fan of the first season, but lots of people said "stick with it, it gets better"... and it genuinely did but not to the point where I actually gave any kind of a shit about any of the characters. Three episodes into S2 and I'd just had enough. Honestly — I'm happy that people are enjoying it, but it's not for me.

Does it help if you've read the books...? I dunno, but this is now on my "Yeah... no" pile, along with House of the Dragon, which I'm pretty sure I won't be watching whenever the second series turns up.

(Maybe I've just become jaded with the glut of genre TV, because I thought the season finale of Ahsoka was... "Ehh" and I haven't even summoned the energy to look at 'The Boys' spin-off, 'Gen-V'.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 September, 2023, 09:54:43 AMSweet Tooth on Netflix. Almost at the end of Season 1 Its so steadfastly okay, just okay, nothing special and it should be given how good the comic it is based on is. Has given me a real hankering to read the comics again.

That said its not a chore, last couple of episodes have been a lot better (just finished 7 and that was very good) and so happy to carry on with it.

And to be fair it gets better and better as it goes on. Not to say it gets great at any time but it certainly  gets past steadfastly okay. By the last three episodes of the second season, while sliding into a couple of well worn cliches are pretty excellent.

So yeah Sweet Tooth nowhere near as good as the comic but pretty good and worth sticking with.

The Legendary Shark

Midnight Mass is a bit of a slow burner but I enjoyed it - a new priest arrives in a small island fishing community, whereupon supernatural shenanigans begin.

Bodies, an excellent sci-fi drama - four London police detectives discover the body of a naked dead man in the same alley but at four different points in time.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I finished Guyver yesterday - the tv series not the ova series.  The manga is on my list to read.  It's silly fun that I still enjoy.

Started Neon Genesis Evangelion today.  I've seen the first two episodes before - but at the time I wasn't in the mood for anime, so I didn't get any further.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: pictsy on 08 November, 2023, 03:05:57 PMStarted Neon Genesis Evangelion today.  I've seen the first two episodes before - but at the time I wasn't in the mood for anime, so I didn't get any further.

I wish I could prime you for what you're about to see.

Anno provides.

Colin YNWA

Have we not discussed Fall of the House of Usher here? Could have sworn that I'd seen it mentioned but maybe it was on that there Facebook?

Anyway watched this over the last week or so and its pretty damned good. Mike Flanagan - the creator of the piece - seems to be a pretty big deal, but this is the first thing of theirs I'm aware of, having seen it and its very good, I'll be watching the rest of their stuff as time allows.

FotHoU (too lazy to type all that out everytime!) is, as the title suggests, based on the Edgar Allen Poe story, but much more than that its like a anthology of Poe's works modernised and brought forward in an 8 part series. There's the stuff I know The Raven, Pit and the Pendulum etc all there front and centre but apparently for Poe fans so much more. It doesn't matter either way - if you know his works or not - the show weaves his stories into a single narrative in compelling style.

Its a true horror. Its full of suspense, tension, intrigue and magical mystery, it leans into gore type stuff at times but not to much to detract from the really scarey stuff. And its the horror of terrible, self obsessed people in power that is most present.

As it deals with themes of being unable to escape death (death, death, death on so many levels), but having choices as to how you can choose to live your life and react to opportunity it deals with so much more. After a first episode that set up the players the remaining episodes have a format that you can predict. This however isn't a weakness its not the what happens, its the how it happens, how events, both past and present unfold. The viewer knows the fates of all involved, but its how this is unravelled and the things you learn and think about on the way that make it great. Its Columbo with a supernatural herald of Death instead of Peter Falk!

Anyway if you are looking for a decent horror, with truly horrific characters that remain entirely compelling despite how much you dislike them then give this a whirl as its really very good.

The Legendary Shark

Comrade Detective. "An American buddy cop series created by Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka. The show follows the premise of popular US action/cop-buddy films and television shows from the 1980s and presents the episodes as a fictional lost Romanian television show commissioned by the Communist Party to promote a communist worldview during the Cold War. Every episode was filmed in Romania using local actors and then dubbed into English as part of the effect.[1] It was released on Amazon Prime Video on August 4, 2017."

I've only seen the first episode so far but it's weird enough to make me want to watch the rest of it. Stand out lines so far include, "You think this was an inside job?" "Of course not! There are no corrupt cops in Romania!" and, the Police Chief on the death of a cop, "Crime is not in a Romanian's nature - that's why we're so overwhelmed!" Crazy good stuff.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I am nearing the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion.  I'll be watching the last two episodes today.

One thing I was aware of before going in is there was dissatisfaction about the ending of the series.  My curiosity is at it's peak with this now.  I have a feeling of what kind of mood and resolution the series should have to appropriately cap it off and I think it's probably the 'unpopular' ending.

If I'm satisfied with the original ending I don't think I'll watch the revision(s?).  I'll find out today.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

I've just spent an hour immersed in the wonderful world of Fargo as Season Five kicks off with a jolly good episode. Just popped in to say that before passing on to the second episode and then a week of champing at the bit.

I want it Now, dammit!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]