Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

That cartoon was ahead of its time, featuring as it did the first brony.

TordelBack

Sod the impossible choice demanded by All Star Trek At Once, I've just discovered there's 7 seasons of  Gilmore Girls on Netflix. That's a lot of Lauren Graham, the all time sexiest Hawaiian.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 July, 2016, 03:11:25 PM
They made a tabletop RPG based on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series?  How delightfully novel!
Actually, they did do one - an RPG based on a cartoon inspired by the original D&D RPG.

Mardroid

Marco Polo.

Really good, but really filthy in places! Kind for to be expected in these Netflix series but it really is gratuitous sometimes.

There was a real shocking violent  moment too where I kind of think they went too far in [spoiler]depicting some rather nasty violence to a child. I could see what they were threatening and figured he was ust messing and wouldn't go there and, ouch, dear me, he did it. I guess they wanted to portray the Cricket Chancellor as irredeemably evil. I actually think they did the character a disservice, taking that route.[/spoiler]

Apart from that, it's a really interesting beautifully shot series with interesting complex characters. And lots of naked ladies...

Goaty

Season 2 of Fargo is now on Netflix. It's brilliant and dark!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goaty on 13 July, 2016, 04:02:19 PM
Season 2 of Fargo is now on Netflix. It's brilliant and dark!

Yup. Season 2 of Fargo is fantastic. Genuinely brilliant characters mired in brutality and strangeness. It made me think oddly of Twin Peaks, although more brutal and a little less strange.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trent

Loved both series of Fargo.
Just finished Billions - good fun and Damian Lewis is getting better with each series he moves from (Band of Brothers, Life, Homeland and now this).
Started on 11.22.63 this evening- James Franco is always watchable and I love the cars from the period. Very obviously Stephen King fare, looking forward to see how it plays out over the next few nights.

Keef Monkey

Still have 11.22.63 sitting to watch, really liked the book so hopefully they've done a good job of it.

Recently binged through season 1 of Mr Robot and now completely hooked, new episodes start tonight!

HdE

I'm currently watching the last handful of episodes of an anime series called 'Oh! Edo Rocket' - and it's absolutely NUTS!

The plot revolves around a kid in Edo era Japan whose passion in life is making fireworks, an illegal act under the emperor's edicts as it constitutes a frivolous and wasteful use of resources. The thing is, he's out to build the biggest rocket in history in hopes of sending a new girl in town back home to the moon (because she's an alien - I DID say this show was nuts.)

The real stroke of genius here is that everybody in the show is very much aware that they're characters in a cartoon, which leads to some of them referring to each other by the names of their voice actors, checking animation notes and scripts to see what happens next, and answering questions like 'what are you doing here?' with responses like 'because this scene doesn't make sense without me'. And despite being set in Edo era Japan, everyone's free to use subway trains, mobile phones, Youtube and computers whenever the need arises. There's also an episode where the main cast are all transformed into cats. Singing cats. And a local official who suddenly starts speaking like Elvis when he feels threatened.

If it wasn't for the fact that somebody had made this up, I'd say you couldn't make it up. It's friggin' INSPIRED!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

I have a mighty need all of a sudden! I'm adding that to my To Watch pile!

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 14 July, 2016, 09:40:40 AM
Still have 11.22.63 sitting to watch, really liked the book so hopefully they've done a good job of it.

Definitely worth a look.
Franco oozes honest charm, and its beautifully shot.
Not a huge commitment with only 8 episodes.

Trent

Only caveat with 11.22..63 is that it is unmistakeably Stephen King material. People are allowed long monologues that feel lifted from the book so while the tension and action elements are well done (and quite visceral) the pace slows regularly for Kingsian ramblings which is not to everyone's taste in this age of fast editing. Personally I love it, haven't read the book but this feels very faithful if you know what I mean.
And James Franco is excellent as ever. Hugely underrated talent.

Colin YNWA

Better Call Saul. Been enjoying season 1 well enough, good stuff. Just watched episode 6 'Five -O' and now its as good as Breaking Bad.

Mike always was my favourite character.

Tiplodocus

Am I the only person who have up on Breaking Bad? Never made it beyond Season 2. No characters or situations I could like or relate to... I'm sure there is more to it then that because I do watch films with bad people in them but this just didn't click.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rately

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 July, 2016, 09:48:50 PM
Better Call Saul. Been enjoying season 1 well enough, good stuff. Just watched episode 6 'Five -O' and now its as good as Breaking Bad.

Mike always was my favourite character.

I am a massive fan of Breaking bad, so good to hear that it's of a similar standard. Been meaning to watch this for ages, and i think my trepidation, and the reason it keeps getting put down my list, is the fact i'm afraid it won't live up to the same standards as the original series.