Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

I just started digging on Murder, She Wrote. That show is great, way better paced and more clever than a lot of other 80s whodunnit shows. Magnum P.I. is also more entertaining than expected.

[/quote]

Magnum P.I. was a great show for about 5-6 seasons. It was very funny at times. Sadly it did run out of steam toward the end of its run. 

Hawkmumbler

Well as I believe was disused elsewhere regarding Crusher Joe, i've recently started re-watching the Original Dirty Pair saga, spanning a 26 episode TV series, 8 OVA's and 3 movies. The result is a delightfully, quirky and self contained episodic space adventure series of the right temperament and pacing for dip watching. What holds the series together over it's episodic nature are our titular leads, Kei and Yuri, and the nicely tight nit cast (surprisingly small for a series of it's size) of supporting characters which kept me merrily watching the whole time. I'm not going to pretend the franchise is any high water marker for sci-fi writing, it's a simple government agents with unfortunate reputations (1/3 of the duo's gigs end in planetary destruction...never their fault, i'm sure!) going about their day jobs and trying to shirk down time off their boss every few episodes. It is, however, utterly harmless silly and thoroughly entertaining as well as often surprisingly beautiful despite budget restraints. A very much recommended viewing.

radiator

We've been watching Master of None - a sitcom created by Aziz Ansari and various Parks and Rec alumni - on Netflix. It's a really funny, gentle and sweet-natured show. Well worth checking out.

Magnetica

Quote from: Michael Knight on 09 October, 2016, 12:29:01 AM
Confession! I've never seen Twin Peaks! Need to address this and see what the fuss all about.  :)

I've never seen it either.

Apart from about ten minutes.

Mardroid

I recently bought the Gold Box of Twin Peaks for quite a easonable price.

I've some of it on the telly, but never the whole thing all the way through.

I haven't got very far yet. I found the 90 minute pilot* dragged a bit, but the other episodes I've viewed have been fine.

It's... very odd, isn't it? In this case, I find that an asset, though.

One thing, I find particularly interesting is that while the underlying subject matter, and certain events go to a particularly dark place, it somehow managed to be rather lighthearted and rather funny, in places.

*There's actually two versions of the pilot. I went with the original release. I'm in no rush to watch the international version after having recently seen the original, but I'm sure I'll  get arround to it.

Tony Angelino

I only ever watched Twin Peaks when it was first shown. I absolutely loved the pilot episode. Thought it was really different from anything else on TV at the time. For me it didn't reach that height again and I thought some episodes were a bit silly.

One bit of silliness I remember was an episode where one of the deputies stands on a bit of wood (or similar), it hits him in the face and then he just walks back and forth in a stunned manner. The scene just went on and on. I don't know whether the episode was running short or whether the makers thought it was really funny but it was one of those jumping the shark moments for me.   

Colin YNWA

Okay turns out we'd finished Better Call Sol series one, we just hadn't realsied. Which is kinda weird. Cos we get it on our Lovefilm thingie I'd not been paying attention and assumed it was like 12 or so episodes so we waited for the next disk and nowt shown up. Looking back i can kinda see how where it ended was kinda an ending, but it clearly lacked impact.

Weird.

Anyway now watching Walking Dead Season three and like the comic compelling fluff nonsense. I know it diveats from the comics but I kinda hope they kill off Lori at the same point as I'm finding her pretty annoying.

Tony Angelino

The season one finale of Better Call Saul wasn't great. They would have been better off finishing off with the previous episode.

auxlen

I bought the Mrs a load of 80s box sets and magnum PI was great, the ateam was great...chips was not bad...the fall guy was a bit of a let down

Tony Angelino

In my opinion the best overall 70's show was The Rockford Files. Still stands up well today with good stories and characters and kept it up throughout its run. Worth looking out for.

With the 80's I probably would go for Magnum PI although as I said in an earlier post I thought there was a big dip in quality in the last 2-3 seasons.

auxlen

I think the professionals stands up ok (apart from the obsession with 'birds') but it's shady and miserable...

Hawkmumbler

Funny, i've been marathoning The Sweeney for awhile now and just got through Season 4, the finale. It as a hole stand up very well, of course some of the attitudes have dated badly, but if you treat Regan and Carter as extensions of that grand British tradition of unlikable bastards there's a great deal to enjoy, a hell of a lot actually.

auxlen

EXACTLY!...the profs is very much the same....

I, Cosh

Quote from: auxlen on 15 October, 2016, 05:06:54 PM
I think the professionals stands up ok (apart from the obsession with 'birds') but it's shady and miserable...
Agreed. I'll watch the odd episode if I'm passing ITV4 at the rigt time and the stories & scripts are generally solid.

Shady miserablism was its strength !
We never really die.

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 September, 2016, 09:13:25 PM
Really tempted to do this before the new stuff comes out (that's still happening right?) but I worry if it'll hold up. That show meant so much to me as a kid.

I'm willing to bet it will. Outside some of the special effects, and some of the more cheesy music perhaps :)

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 28 September, 2016, 02:38:22 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm a big fan, been rewatching that recently too. Can't wait for the new Twin Peaks series hitting next year! Are you a Lynch fan in general? If you haven't seen them I highly recommend Blue Velvet and Lost Highway for starters.

I'm also looking forward to that one. Really hope it does it's own thing.

Also seen Eraser head, Blue velvet, Lost highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland empire. Mulholland Drive being my favorite, but I also really enjoyed Eraser head and Blue velvet. Planning on watching Lost highway again soon. Wasn't my fav. when I saw at first, but I'd really like to see the scene where the old guy asks him to call home, to hear the old guy answer the phone. Amazing stuff.

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 October, 2016, 05:49:55 AMOne thing, I find particularly interesting is that while the underlying subject matter, and certain events go to a particularly dark place, it somehow managed to be rather lighthearted and rather funny, in places.

Probably much thanks to it being a bit of a soap opera.