Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

There's a coincidence - I'm on series 3 as well, just watching Tristan squirming under Siegfried's ire due to rumours about him setting up his own practice. Brilliant characters brought to life by brilliant actors, fantastic Yorkshire scenery and bloody good writing.

I haven't seen this since it was first broadcast and I'm loving every minute of it, my older self far more appreciative than the younger me, who thought anything without spaceships and monsters in it was crap. A proper classic and a good way to while away these days when there's not much work for me.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

The missus is a big fan, as is my mother (my youngest brother was actually going to be called Tristan, but we persuaded her to Peter (Davison) as a wedgie-reducing compromise), so I've been through the whole series a number of times... It's brilliant telly. Especially enjoy James Grout's boozy Granville and the gorgeous Lynda Bellingham's Helen.

von Boom

Granville has to be one of the best characters in the series. Grout portrayed him perfectly. I must admit I'm a bit partial to Carol Drinkwater myself.

HdE

I've been ploughing through anime this week in preparation for putting together more Youtube videos. Figured it was time to finally check out Space Dandy. By god, that's a crazy show!

I'm having loads of fun with it. It's basically an episodic affair where a pompadoured space lecher and his sidekicks - a robot vacuum cleaner and an alien who is most definitely NOT a cat - embark on wild and wacky adventures.

I won't lie - it's not all great. In fact, the show takes a few turns into downright abstract territory at times that I'm not sure are 100% suited to its broader premise. But it's a LOT of fun watching what the directors of each episode and Studio Bones cook up.

So far, I've seen a musical episode, a groundhog day episode that cleverly didn't reveal that was what it was going to be until a good way into the plot, a story with enormous spacefaring eels, and another one with sentient plants.

Oh yeah - and all the main characters died at the end of episode 1. Then came back for episode 2 with nary a hint they'd snuffed it previously.

Mad. My favourite episode so far has been 'Even Vaccuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby.' Need I say more?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

All hail the Space Dandy! Such a pity it got axed, for awhile it was the best thing on TV, anywhere in the world. Utterly mad in the best way.

Goaty

Enjoy the debut episode of Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD tonight,

thought that [spoiler]Ghost Rider[/spoiler] was well done, enjoy that! And nice promise start of [spoiler]Life Model Decoy[/spoiler].

Link Prime

Currently catching up on the latter half of Vikings season 4 (RTE are churning them out at two a week).

It's still a very entertaining show, but the episode 'Crossings' delved a little too close to fantasy territory for my liking, having [spoiler]Odin[/spoiler] himself appear to each of [spoiler]Ragnar's sons[/spoiler], confirming his death.
Despite being billed as an historical drama, the inaccuracies and embellishments never seemed to bother me.
Visions could be explained by meditative or drug induced states, The Seer could be just a deformed old man, ravens could just happen to appear outside your window etc.

But this was something very different- the actual apparition of an [spoiler]Asgardian God[/spoiler], interacting with several cast members.
Quite strange, following on from a conversation that Ragnar and Ecbert had a short time beforehand regarding the nature of religion itself, hinting that atheism is the cold hard truth for both men.
Only a handful of episodes left this season (maybe for good?), so naturally I'll continue to the finish.

By the way- I've yet to spot celebrity 'extra' JazusB.Christ!

Hawkmumbler

Starting something of a Nigel Kneale-a-thon. Being such a huge fan of Quatermass i'm surprised at myself it took so long to get around to both The Stone Tapes (currently viewing) and Beasts (lined up an episode a day this week).

The Stone Tapes is giving me a degree of Ghostwatch flashbacks, in the best kind of way, all be it from a different narrative perspective. And excellent pseudo-ghost story.

Spikes

Excellent. Pretty much everything Nigel Kneale wrote was aces.

Never seen The Year of the Sex Olympics. The BFI DVD release for that was pretty pricey, and then quickly went OOP.

Need to maybe bite the bullet for that at some point.

Hawkmumbler

Didn't he pen a screen play for the most controversial of 1984 addaptations from waaaay back when? He certainly was a talented and versatile writer, even if by all accounts he was a right miserable sod.

Greg M.

Quote from: Spikes on 05 February, 2017, 08:50:24 PM
Pretty much everything Nigel Kneale wrote was aces.

Apart from Kinvig. Which is remarkably terrible.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 February, 2017, 02:29:28 PM
Starting something of a Nigel Kneale-a-thon. Being such a huge fan of Quatermass i'm surprised at myself it took so long to get around to both The Stone Tapes (currently viewing) and Beasts (lined up an episode a day this week).

The Stone Tapes is giving me a degree of Ghostwatch flashbacks, in the best kind of way, all be it from a different narrative perspective. And excellent pseudo-ghost story.

There was a great binaural radio adaptation of the Stone Tapes for the beeb a couple of halloweens ago. That and The Ring. Bloody good stuff!

Hawkmumbler

The Return of Ultraman (AKA Ultraman Jack) took me a little longer to get theough than Seven but was an excellent run of monster of the week fair once again, this time actually attemtping to thread together a running narrative (the first appearences of Yapool in particular), bringing Seven into the main continuity and bringing Ultraman and Zoffy in for the finale. Good, light, entertining fluff. Now onto Ace, which i'm told is when the series starts to get REALLY good.

Toni Scandella

Twin Peaks, again, in preparation for Season 3.
Just have the final episode to go, then the movie... Season 2 always seems like it is going to be a chore but to be honest I love it all, except maybe James and Evelyn.

And Tojamura. Tojamura is bad.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 17 February, 2017, 11:20:04 PM
Twin Peaks, again, in preparation for Season 3.
Just have the final episode to go, then the movie... Season 2 always seems like it is going to be a chore but to be honest I love it all, except maybe James and Evelyn.

And Tojamura. Tojamura is bad.

Yeah I must get to this before diving into any new stuff.