Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 02 October, 2011, 11:09:58 PM
'Drive' - just wow. A perfect movie, in every sense - direction, script, acting, casting, cinematography and soundtrack. Blown away.

Aha, thought this might be here already. Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Great director, quite like David Lynch but without the weirdness. I was reminded of the more "normal" bits of Lost Highway and especially the general quietness of a lot of scenes. Was also reminded of Tarantino a bit, but without the humour, possibly cos Ryan Gosling reminded me of Tim Roth, was also convinced the diner scene was the same place as the stick up in Pulp Fiction. I know it probably wasn't but still, maybe just the Tim Roth thing. None of it felt like a copy of either, the film as a whole had its own distinct feel to it, looking forward to more of his stuff. I'd read it was inspired by Bullitt and you can see that too, especially (or more like obviously) the Chevy/Mustang chase.

The other almost homage was the intro. The scenes, 80s style music and in particular the pink font was totally Vice City  :D

Much better than expected, definitely not your cheesy action film it seems to be at first glance.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

SmallBlueThing

Moulin Rouge!

Few things in this world are perfect. Moulin Rouge! is one of them. And that's why my wife and i saw it five times at the cinema and have seen it countless times since. And will continue to rewatch until we die.
Just sheer cinema perfection.
SBT

Van Dom

Have spent the week watching some crazy-ass Japanese splatterfest movies. Nearly all of them have been incredible. The one that wasn't - Big Tits Zombie - promised so much (namely, a zombie with big tits) but failed to deliver. There were zombies, and there were tits, just not quite in the same package. Must be one of those translation error things. It was a good laugh alright but nothing to write home about.

After that - everything was a winner.

Samurai Princess is gore-tastic if very very cheap. We're talking a blood-soaked version of Power Rangers here, the monster villain even looks like something left over from a Power Rangers episode. On the plus side, it was damn good fun, the Samurai Princess herself (another translation error, the actual title of the movie in Japan translates as Demon Princess) is awesome and the blood quotient is pretty high.

Alien Vs Ninja is fantastic. Everybody needs to see this film. Reasonably high budget though the aliens are still quite clearly of the men-in-costumes variety. Doesn't matter. This movie takes the piss out of itself but contains some of the coolest, funnest action scenes I have ever seen committed to celluloid. The final battle between samurai and alien has to be seen to be believed, I was belly-laughing at the screen it was that funny - and cool as shit as the same time!

Machine Girl. Wowzers. I've seen a lot of gorey, bloody films but this has to be one of the bloodiest things I've ever witnessed. Evil Dead 2 is not a patch on it. Thing is, its also amazingly well made for a film of its nature, the action scenes and choreography are fantastic and I had great fun with this one. Some of the scenes were quite disturbing though, as this wasn't a fantasy movie with aliens or demons, this was just about regular people, so was a bit more realistic....well, realistic is not the word for it really...but more grounded in reality at least. The Drill Bra bit....shudder!!!!

Robogeisha is by the same director who gave us Machine Girl and while not as cool, its still completely and utterly nuts and wonderful. Completely insane action and another good helping off blood and gore. I actually exclaimed "Holy Shit!" a couple of times during this one.

I've got more of these to watch - Mutant Girl Squad, Frankenstein Girl Vs Vampire Girl, Rika the Zombie Killer - but will be taking a break tonight....not because all this gore has made me squeamish...but because I picked up the new Van Damme movie Assassination Games today and I am going to spend a pleasant hour and a half in the company of the Muscles from Brussels. And I WILL enjoy it, no matter how good or bad it is. Because I always do!  He the man!! :)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Van Dom on 07 October, 2011, 09:50:26 PM
Have spent the week watching some crazy-ass Japanese splatterfest movies. Nearly all of them have been incredible. The one that wasn't - Big Tits Zombie - promised so much (namely, a zombie with big tits) but failed to deliver. There were zombies, and there were tits, just not quite in the same package. Must be one of those translation error things. It was a good laugh alright but nothing to write home about.

After that - everything was a winner.

Samurai Princess is gore-tastic if very very cheap. We're talking a blood-soaked version of Power Rangers here, the monster villain even looks like something left over from a Power Rangers episode. On the plus side, it was damn good fun, the Samurai Princess herself (another translation error, the actual title of the movie in Japan translates as Demon Princess) is awesome and the blood quotient is pretty high.

Alien Vs Ninja is fantastic. Everybody needs to see this film. Reasonably high budget though the aliens are still quite clearly of the men-in-costumes variety. Doesn't matter. This movie takes the piss out of itself but contains some of the coolest, funnest action scenes I have ever seen committed to celluloid. The final battle between samurai and alien has to be seen to be believed, I was belly-laughing at the screen it was that funny - and cool as shit as the same time!

Machine Girl. Wowzers. I've seen a lot of gorey, bloody films but this has to be one of the bloodiest things I've ever witnessed. Evil Dead 2 is not a patch on it. Thing is, its also amazingly well made for a film of its nature, the action scenes and choreography are fantastic and I had great fun with this one. Some of the scenes were quite disturbing though, as this wasn't a fantasy movie with aliens or demons, this was just about regular people, so was a bit more realistic....well, realistic is not the word for it really...but more grounded in reality at least. The Drill Bra bit....shudder!!!!

Robogeisha is by the same director who gave us Machine Girl and while not as cool, its still completely and utterly nuts and wonderful. Completely insane action and another good helping off blood and gore. I actually exclaimed "Holy Shit!" a couple of times during this one.

I've got more of these to watch - Mutant Girl Squad, Frankenstein Girl Vs Vampire Girl, Rika the Zombie Killer - but will be taking a break tonight....not because all this gore has made me squeamish...but because I picked up the new Van Damme movie Assassination Games today and I am going to spend a pleasant hour and a half in the company of the Muscles from Brussels. And I WILL enjoy it, no matter how good or bad it is. Because I always do!  He the man!! :)

Van Dom have you seen Ninjas Vs Vampires watched that the other day, low budget bit odd at points but still an ok movie. Also if you like Jap Gore have you seen Ichi the Killer? one of my favs
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Zarjazzer

Priest-it was fun and Karl Urban was excellent as the big bad. Appeared to be "inspired" by Dredd,Wh40k and martial arts movies. The vampires though harked more towards the Aliens from er Alien IMHO. Not too long either and it's always good to see Christopher Plummer and Brad Dourif still earning a crust!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hawkmumbler

Robocop- The real original Dredd movie.

Eric Plumrose

After a third attempt, the Souster woman and I finally managed to watch the rest of LEGION. Without being particularly good, it's kinda fun. It's also one of those movies, such as SKYLINE, I somehow enjoy for what it could have been.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

radiator

Not a movie, but my girlfriend and I are currently addicted to the US sitcom Modern Family. I know it's a huge deal in the states (highest rated programme at the moment, as I understand it) but it's yet to really take off over here as it's only shown on Sky.

Caught a few episodes while abroad, and was so impressed with it I bought the series box set as soon as we got back.

Try to picture a slightly more restrained and less demented Arrested Development - the Dunfys are an unconventional family unit, rather than the downright dysfunctional Bluths - but the style of comedy is very similar, rapid-fire gags, densely-plotted episodes with a similar faux-documentary/handheld camera aesthetic (plenty of nervous glances to camera etc).

Super tight, pitch perfect writing, endlessly quotable dialogue, superb (and largely unknown) cast, laugh out loud funny (impressive considering it's designed for family viewing, so very little swearing etc), and very sweet-natured while never being overly sentimental or cloying.

Great stuff. If only one of the British broadcasters could produce a broad family sitcom anywhere near as good!

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 October, 2011, 08:57:45 PM
Moulin Rouge!

Few things in this world are perfect. Moulin Rouge! is one of them. And that's why my wife and i saw it five times at the cinema and have seen it countless times since. And will continue to rewatch until we die.
Just sheer cinema perfection.
SBT

I would classify anyone who watched "Moulin Rouge" FIVE TIMES at the cinema - or indeed anywhere - as "insane".

Professor Bear

I've always avoided Moulin Rouge because it looked like Glee for people too sniffy to actually watch Glee, but  - and don't take this the wrong way, Brendan - now you've slagged it by insulting those who would watch it, I'm off to watch it on principle.

TO THE BAT-TORRENTS!

SmallBlueThing

It's what, ten years old now? Back then, Glee didnt exist, and i'll happily let you know it's nothing like it! What it is, is a jawdropping visual spectacle, at times hilarious (jim broadbent is beyond brilliant), at times pitch black, and at times just thrilling and eyeopening. The songs are so well staged, so well integrated into the story, that you cannot help but love them (despite not being a musical, or music, person myself) and the entire cast is just perfect, from ewan mcgregor to the narcoleptic argentinian.

It's very, very easily in my top five films- and ive often found that those who go overboard in their 'hatred' of it are just reacting to it being a musical, and are just scared of its impact on their perceived sexuality.

It is, without doubt, fucking brilliant.

SBT

Spaceghost

I'd just like to stick my oar in and say that I thought Moulin Rouge was horrible, predictable, embarrassing dog-shit. It's a rubbish romantic musical comedy with tacked on rubbish songs sung by rubbish singers.

I hated every second of its gaudy, tasteless, eye-and-mind-fucking 'showbiz' awfulness.

Not because it threatened my sexuality or because it's a musical (I loved Hedwig and the Angry Inch for instance) but because I just thought it was horrible.

Having said that, full respect to you, SBT, for standing up for something you love.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Colin YNWA

Big fan of 'Moulin Rouge', not as big as Small Blue Thing, but think its a great camp fun yarn and visually quite stunning. Jim Broadbent singing 'Like a Virgin' is a true piece of cinema gold.

Oh and Kylie as a fairy delightful.

SmallBlueThing

Jim broadbent singing 'like a virgin' actually made me cry with laughter- and still does, whenever i see it. In fact, Harold Zeidler in general is one of my favourite movie characters, up there with Stevie Wayne and Sergeant Howie. His introduction, along with his diamond dogs, is one of the best bits of cinema ive ever seen.

Even just writing about Moulin Rouge makes me want to watch it again.

SBT

SpetsnaZ99

SmallBlueThing - were you in the movie the Fisher King???
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.