Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

guardians was a bit of a let down cos of the hype I was expecting a star wars contender... just watched captain America the winter soldier which I enjoyed more not being even a huge fan of cap in general it was an enjoyable thriller.

also watched muppets most wanted which was ace
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 January, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
Finally... The Grand Budapest Hotel

For a long-time fan of Anderson I waited quite a long while to see his latest film but on seeing it at last I wasn't disappointed in the least.

With Budapest's otherwordly caper and rich ensemble cast we're skating majestically into Zissou territory which is where I first fell in WesLove. Fiennes is captivating and Revolori's Zero is excellent but mark my words - if Anderson's eccentrically intricate worlds are not to your taste this won't convert you. For the initiated however it is as sophisticated and adventurous as he's ever been and remarkably captivating for it. Onwards and Weswards.
It is a superb film, isn't it.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Recrewt

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 January, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
Also saw Gaurdians of the Galaxy for the first time; this was one Marvel movie that I was actually excited about seeing since I first saw the trailer earlier this year. It was very enjoyable but totally failed to live up to the hype. It suffered from the same problem as most Marvel movies - a paper-thin plot with a poorly-concieved maguffin for everybody to chase and a baddie who barely manages as many as two dimensions with the vaugest of vauge motivations. I watched it with people who'd all seen it before (and loved it) and I asked them mid-way through what Ronan's deal was. I got utterly blank looks from the rest of the room. I clarified, 'I know he's the baddie, right? But what exactly does he want? What's he trying to do?' Nobody had the faintest clue.

I caught the guardians film recently too and I did find it a little disappointing. It tries to fit a lot in and so things like character details and plot can get lost along the way.  I also thought some of the timing was off with jokes getting dropped without the audience realising. 

Still, I think there is potential there and it will be interesting to see what the next movie will be like if they iron out the wrinkles.  Plus, it's a cold heart that doesn't smile at [spoiler]mini groot dancing at the end![/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Half watched through a festive miasma:

Avengers Assemble. Still pretty entertaining, especially with the added bonus of seeing my mum try to identify Marvel superheroes. Hadn't realised how much of the running time was taken up by the Whedony character beats in the middle (not a criticism.)

How to Train Your Dragon. Remembered people on here bigging it up. Enjoyable stuff.

Watched properly since then:

Grave of the Fireflies. Initially thought this was going to be pretty saccharine but, in the words of Judge Prager: "Grim."

I've always been a Keanu Reeves apologist. Then I watched Johnny Mnemonic and I suddenly understood where all the criticism comes from. What a bizarre mess of a film. The first problem is Reeves' utterly wooden performance, but that's not the worst of it.

The story is, at heart, a pulpy, noir thriller about a man who literally knows too much. As such it could've been realised fairly cheaply with a few dark rooms, sharp suits and a mysterious wire or two. Like its near contemporary Gattaca. Instead, a fair amount of cash has been spent on setting it in a strange, eighties-style, crazy haircuts and eyeshadow kind of future. Parallels with Tank Girl - released the same year and also co-starring Ice-T - are entirely made up for my own amusement. At least it is still dark though.

It is, of course, harsh to criticise special effects from a historical perspective. In mitigation, some of the sets and the crazy, cybernetically enhanced dolphin are great. However, watching this today with its cyberspace showdown between a masked Keanu and a crudely animated digital security avatar, it is impossible not to make comparisons with another Reeves film. Something I'd never considered before about The Matrix is the visual masterstroke of making the simulation as real as life so you don't have to bother with shitey graphics just to depict buildings or whatever. That the corresponding showdown sees the sharp suit swapped from Keanu to his opponent is just the icing on the cake.
We never really die.

CrazyFoxMachine

Don't worry I'll be back to consuming lots of telly again soon but until then...

Churchill: The Hollywood Years

An uneven film that's not particularly terrible but suffers from a hugely inconsistent tone that by and large kills the principle 'joke'. Oddly on the DVD there is an alternative beginning and end that would almost entirely improve the film - where the framing device is made abundantly clear. It wouldn't have saved some of the flatter bits but it would've worked a lot better.

As it stands it's difficult to recommend although the host of familiar faces are fun: Vic and Bob's camp turn is a bit of a damp squib but an endearing Steve Pemberton and the always-brilliant and much missed Rik Mayall are personal favourites. Nice to see David Schneider as Geobbels dressed as the devil as well.

radiator

QuoteAlso saw Gaurdians of the Galaxy for the first time; this was one Marvel movie that I was actually excited about seeing since I first saw the trailer earlier this year. It was very enjoyable but totally failed to live up to the hype. It suffered from the same problem as most Marvel movies - a paper-thin plot with a poorly-concieved maguffin for everybody to chase and a baddie who barely manages as many as two dimensions with the vaugest of vauge motivations. I watched it with people who'd all seen it before (and loved it) and I asked them mid-way through what Ronan's deal was. I got utterly blank looks from the rest of the room. I clarified, 'I know he's the baddie, right? But what exactly does he want? What's he trying to do?' Nobody had the faintest clue. Nobody could tell me who Karen Gillan's character was, other than 'Er... her name's Nebula', or explain anything about Gamora other than 'She's betraying Thanos' (and no, I didn't really understand the Thanos character either). To be honest, Starlord was the only character in the film who was given a decent backstory, purpose and motivation. My friends seemed content to just sit back, disengage brains and enjoy the Wedon-esque banter, cheerfully ignoring the plot holes which I suppose is the spirit in which you're meant to watch a film about a talking space raccoon. Good fun but I wouldn't watch it twice, even it was on TV. 6/10?

Though I enjoyed the film a lot more than you, I think these are pretty fair criticisms. Perhaps it's subjective, but personally I found that despite definitely suffering from the usual Marvel problems of convoluted and messy plotting, it still felt a damn sight more cohesive than the likes of Thor: TDW, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: WS.

I also don't think it had many actual 'plot holes' as such - more just that certain things were underexplained/underdeveloped.

As for Thanos, they better start doing something to demonstrate him being this apparent badass, and soon.

Ghastly McNasty

I saw Guardians for the second time and liked it even more than the first viewing. (May have had something to do with seeing that in 3D and the feeling or being robbed which accompanies it) It is a fun movie, and should be enjoyed for just that.

Gone Girl Brilliant film. Fincher directed. Remained open mouthed in astonishment long after film had finished. Wonderfully dark conslusion.

Dark Jimbo

I did enjoy it, Radiator, though I can see how it might not have come across that way! Just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd been expecting to, and though I could follow the plot well enough the underdeveloped villians and supporting characters left it all feeling ultimately a bit empty - to the extent I'd not be in any hurry to rewatch it.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Didn't mean to imply that - just that for me it was an 8 or even 9/10 rather than a 6.5, and it's a film I will return to again in the future.

I totally agree that the villain was weak and had a very vague motivation, but for some reason the rest of the film just carried me along for the ride. I guess it all comes down to how much you're enjoying everything else - for example I remember the similarly vaguely-defined baddies in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 bothering me a lot more.

I'd say overall it's my second favourite of the Marvel movies after the The Avengers, which did have a great villain with a proper motivation and everything!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2015, 12:36:52 AM
Grave of the Fireflies. Initially thought this was going to be pretty saccharine but, in the words of Judge Prager: "Grim."

I watched nearly two years ago (I think that amount of time is write!) on advice from first edition rules for Exalted (It's a fantasy role playing game based any genre not based on Lord of the Rings  (And I'm only saying that because I just read that description!) I don't much about it other than there are a lot of warriors running around with think bladed swords (Just like Cloud from Final-Fantasy. In fact, this game may be just like a archaic version of Final Fantasy. This could be a very accurate description of it!)

And Animai and I was one of the backers for the Kickstarter behind it's latest edition. I recall sending them money early last year and the book is still not ready. I think I backed a tier for the limited edition. Something that be bound in leather I think.

Anyway, it was advice from the page of the first edition which I downloaded from Drive-Thru-RPG that I watch this movie to get feel for the game. I really don't understand what they meant by this, but I watched both versions of the film (Animai and Real-Life Action!) and both were tear jerking in similar ways.  :'(

Yet, I think I liked the former version better. The live action version seemed to lacking in parts.

You may find my earlier commentary on this film on this very same thread nearly two years back as well.

If you like  :)

Hawkmumbler

I think your thinking of the wrong movie their, mayor. Grave of the Fire Flies is less Toshiro Mifune and more a trip down "How much can I hate myself" lane.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 January, 2015, 09:27:41 AM
I think your thinking of the wrong movie their, mayor. Grave of the Fire Flies is less Toshiro Mifune and more a trip down "How much can I hate myself" lane.

I honestly don't know what you mean by that.....

Hawkmumbler

Somehow I managed to get what you said about both the movie and the board game mixed up...