Main Menu

Meg 450: Skeleton Crew

Started by Tomwe, 14 November, 2022, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The upcoming price rise slightly concerns me. £7.99? That's a 33% increase. The inclusion of strips I've already got may push me ever-so-slightly towards perhaps, possibly, maybe, giving it up. Can't buy these things forever, and sixteen quid a month (I buy my eldest a copy) may prove too much.

SBT

broodblik

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 16 November, 2022, 06:23:35 PM
The upcoming price rise slightly concerns me. £7.99?

I think the price it is just for xmas meg since it is going to be 144 pages
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: broodblik on 16 November, 2022, 07:02:27 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 16 November, 2022, 06:23:35 PM
The upcoming price rise slightly concerns me. £7.99?

I think the price it is just for xmas meg since it is going to be 144 pages

That sound you just heard was my arthritic fingers cracking as I crossed them.

SBT

Max Headroom

In the new year the price drops to £6.99 - according to Forbidden Planet website.

Colin YNWA

Enjoyed this one.

Storm Warning was probably the weakest of the strips, but it was enjoyable, moved things on nicely and looked great Clint Langley's art really working here. So yeah if that's the weakest we're in good shape.

Death Metal Planet is pretty good too. Maybe not as strong yet as previous stories in this series but the only real problem is these Death Metal Band baddies are all a bit cliche. Still the whole thing is very enjoyable and I'm really looking forward to seeing how all this drive Roscoe's development forward. Its good stuff.

As is Dredd, mind of the pack but its good stuff from Edginton and D'Israeli. Brill colourful design for bright colourful characters. The whole thing zips along very nicely and is just place fun.

Surfer next, its just pure craft from two absolute masters. Superb stuff.

So what can beat that well Devlin Waugh of course. Ales Kot just gets Devlin while not being slavish and making the whole thing his own. Its rich, intriguingly ploted, character driven, scary and just plain brilliant. Add to that Rob Richardson's Yeowellesque art perfectly setting the story in motion and you have just plain amazing comics.

Decent text pieces, and so what if the floppie is story we've read recently all that's about to change as the Meg gets a revamp. Exciting times and the old era has been wrapped up in fine style.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 17 November, 2022, 07:51:27 AM
B/W Cover:

That's SO good in black and white. Wow!

(Not that the colours are bad I should say, but that line work...)

JohnW

Agreed.
Slapping a big old title over that foreground ribcage does the picture no favours.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

IndigoPrime

Cover: Yep. The combination of massive logo and massive coverline marginalises the art. A pity.

Dredd: Very enjoyable. This could easily have run to one or two more parts, but its succinct nature worked well enough. Given one of the reveals, it almost felt like there was a tangential Scarlet Traces crossover!

Storm Warning: An odd one. Something about Langley's art propels me back to the vol. 2 days of the Meg, although it's clearly far better in terms of storytelling. The strip itself works well enough.

Devlin: This hasn't grabbed me as much as the previous run, but it's really days yet. I'm curious to know how the twist will be shifted back to some kind of status quo – assuming that happens.

Death: Urgh. I'm not keen on this at all, I'm afraid. The enemies are cliches. And we're back on the Dark Judges escape treadmill.

Surfer: Good stuff – unsurprisingly, given the team.

Floppy: You'll be missed, kinda. I'll admit my patience was wearing thin a little when we got things like Feral and Foe, but by grud those Robin Smith cover books were fantastic. This month's was solid. I liked the first strip a lot more than the second and, to be honest, didn't remember much about them.

It'll be interesting to see how the new format shakes out next month. That would have seemed a good moment for a full refresh, rather than starting with part three of four ongoing stories, but there you go. I'm not really looking forward to Mega City Two and the price rise, but it is what it is. (I guess as a subscriber, I'm at least insulated initially from the latter of those.)

JudgeJudi

So John Reppion says Storm Warning  set at same time as Strange and Darke and so I think this is actually in the past and 2137...

AlexF

Storm Warning is really strong at the moment. I think it might actually be the perfect match for Clnt Langley's ethereal style, a character who sees ghosts everywhere.
New Devlin Waugh artist also killing it.
Death Metal Planet is making very little sense, and frankly between these three strips I feel like I'm in the 90s again, where comics looked cool, sounded grown up, and I hadn't a clue what was going on...

Anyone else getting Pat Mills vibes off David Hine's scripting - espeically the sequence where 'Fish' loudly attempts to prove his metal bonafides? It's a bold writer who's angling to take that mantle on!

JohnW

Quote from: AlexF on 25 November, 2022, 09:34:16 AM
Anyone else getting Pat Mills vibes off David Hine's scripting - espeically the sequence where 'Fish' loudly attempts to prove his metal bonafides? It's a bold writer who's angling to take that mantle on!

You mean having a character in the far future giving a little lecture on something obscure from our own day in order to prove to the reader that the writer knows his hardcore edgy stuff and thus should not be dismissed as one of those fuddy-duddy middle-class writers that he most certainly is not?
A good effort from Hine, but I think he'll to have to Mills it up a little more.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JWare on 25 November, 2022, 09:47:51 AM
You mean having a character in the far future giving a little lecture on something obscure from our own day in order to prove to the reader that the writer knows his hardcore edgy stuff and thus should not be dismissed as one of those fuddy-duddy middle-class writers that he most certainly is not?

You mean like that Dredd story Pat wrote where he had a judge quoting Sepultura...? That didn't stick out like a sore thumb, oh, nosiree... :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JohnW

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 November, 2022, 10:17:02 AM
You mean like that Dredd story Pat wrote where he had a judge quoting Sepultura...? That didn't stick out like a sore thumb, oh, nosiree... :-)
You mean like Dredd quoting Hollies lyrics to establish 2000AD's punk credentials?

M.I.K.

Fish once really pissed off my mum by taking far too long in front of her in Haddington Post Office.