Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

A quick look on twitter suggests you're not alone.

Steve Green

Planet Replicas have tweeted that they've been told by Zavvi that the keychains are being sent separately.

SIP

Interesting.  Hopefully "thehut.com" will come back with that answer tomorrow.  Thanks for the info Steve.

Steve Green

No worries, hope it gets sorted soon.

Stan

I used to be gutted about the lack of sequel for a critically praised Dredd film which didn't do very well at the box office, but today I'm just glad I'm not a Fantastic Four fan.

$200 million down the crapper.

Goaty

what the hell they spend $200 millions on??

Stan

I'm not sure if it's fair to count distribution but that and marketing apparently cost $80 million, so almost twice as much as Dredd's production budget. Then you have a tenner spent on Dr Doom and probably $50 million on that one set they near enough shot the entire film in. And no doubt there were misc items like glass hammers for 9k a pop.

Kinda funny that this entry hasn't been removed from the wiki page yet..

"A sequel is scheduled for release on June 9, 2017 in 3D.[93]"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 10 August, 2015, 02:18:02 PM

The studio won't change that mantra until it's out of cinemas; they still have to pretend they're invested in this iteration of F4 and that people should see the film.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 August, 2015, 02:25:50 PM

The studio won't change that mantra until it's out of cinemas; they still have to pretend they're invested in this iteration of F4 and that people should see the film.

That was same with Amazing Spider-Man 2 when they planned a sequel to it before it out at cinemas... wonder what happens to that(!)

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 August, 2015, 02:25:50 PM

Yeah, good point. I have a hard time believing there won't be a deal at some point though. The only way I can see people taking a Fantastic Four film seriously (by Fox) is if they call it X-Men and have lots of X-Men in it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 10 August, 2015, 08:39:21 PMThe only way I can see people taking a Fantastic Four film seriously (by Fox) is if they call it X-Men and have lots of X-Men in it.

I doubt they can truly do this crossover business between F4 and the X-Verse - the contracts were drawn-up several years apart at a time when big budget crossovers didn't happen, and I would presume that unless it states in each contract that one property can include characters from the other, it probably can't happen without Marvel's permission. Fox have always been wishy-washy on the situation with vague statements like how they could see how it could happen 'story-wise' but Zak Penn has said it can't be done and Simon Kinberg that they're parallel universes.

Add to that fact the only way Fox can retain the rights is to make a standalone Fantastic 4 film every 7 years and it puts Fox in a terrible situation where the only way they could rescue the brand for themselves is to bring in a huge name like James Cameron to reboot it as a big-budget spectacle piece.

Or just sell it back early to Marvel/trade it for X-Men TV rights.

Dreddzilla

IAMTHESYSTEM

Was going for a gritty take on F4 really that good an idea? The Punisher is a gritty Marvel character but the Fantastic 4 was never like that. The original comics I understand had the F4 falling out and even occasionally betraying each other and was considered groundbreaking for it's time but now they strike me as a sort of odd Nuclear family. Perhaps the Invisibles as one commentator said is best F4 film we've had made so far.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 August, 2015, 09:09:49 PM
I doubt they can truly do this crossover business between F4 and the X-Verse

This might be the closest we'll get; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Rd8x4z-e0

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 August, 2015, 09:09:49 PM
Quote from: Stan on 10 August, 2015, 08:39:21 PMThe only way I can see people taking a Fantastic Four film seriously (by Fox) is if they call it X-Men and have lots of X-Men in it.

I doubt they can truly do this crossover business between F4 and the X-Verse - the contracts were drawn-up several years apart at a time when big budget crossovers didn't happen, and I would presume that unless it states in each contract that one property can include characters from the other, it probably can't happen without Marvel's permission. Fox have always been wishy-washy on the situation with vague statements like how they could see how it could happen 'story-wise' but Zak Penn has said it can't be done and Simon Kinberg that they're parallel universes.

Add to that fact the only way Fox can retain the rights is to make a standalone Fantastic 4 film every 7 years and it puts Fox in a terrible situation where the only way they could rescue the brand for themselves is to bring in a huge name like James Cameron to reboot it as a big-budget spectacle piece.

Or just sell it back early to Marvel/trade it for X-Men TV rights.

I've seen a few people suggest that and I hope it's true. Some things are better left dead.

And I don't see Fox losing X-Men any time this century (even without Hugh Jackman) so Marvel may as well just bite the bullet and make the deal.