Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 October, 2021, 10:21:50 AM
I found it a bit frustrating after about an hour or so - don't know if I have the patience to continue with it.

I'm using a walkthrough to help me out.  Mostly to find all the hidden stuff.  I like solving the puzzles myself, but if I get really stuck I'll find the solution because I know it's going to be something that is frustratingly obtuse.  This has only happened once so far.

The game doesn't let you know everything you can do right off the bat.  I think it's so you can go back and play the game again and get a different experience.  I think that's fine in a game, but I think it did end up shitting on my parade on my original play through.  Still, I really enjoy the mechanics and look of the game in all it's PS1 glory.

wedgeski

Quote from: repoman on 29 September, 2021, 12:04:54 PM
I think I'm done with Aliens: Fireteam.  It was enjoyable and I've been through it a few times but it is a bit samey and lacking in content so I think I'm done.  The DLC roadmap only mentions new classes and gear.  Which I couldn't care less about.
I'm just about to complete the main campaign after ~12 hours. It's a fun, action-packed game, surprisingly well-written, and I think I'm going to carry on and experiment with the other classes.

My primary complaint is the match-making, with its stupid 60-second timer and auto-filled AI slots when the timer runs low. Please, stop. Keep looking for people until I have an all-human squad. I'll wait. It's fine.

Overall I've had more than enough fun for my money and would recommend it.

Link Prime

While waiting on Metroid Dread to arrive in the post I downloaded Doom (2016) on my PS5 partially on a curious whim / partially because it was only a coupla quid.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY. A truly unexpected 10/10 experience.
Guess I should have paid attention to those reviews after all.

I will admit that I never really took to the early Doom games, I think Doom 64 was the only one I really gave the old college try, probably because the N64 cartridge cost about €100 in today's money and as a teenager I was too broke at the time to squander the purchase.

This re-imagining by Bethesda / id Software is just about everything I look for in a First-person shooter, and takes some of the best elements from games such as Halo and Metroid Prime.
I had a frantic and fun few hours every night after work this past week, and completed the main campaign last night. The game length was perfectly judged by the way, each of the 13 levels taking about an hour each.
It's definitely one to go back to for mopping up weapon mods / collectibles etc. I may even go for the Platinum, as it doesn't seem too hard a task.

A quick perusal of Amazon this morning has the 2020 sequel Doom Eternal going dirt cheap too - so that's lined up for November, right after the aforementioned Metroid Dread.

wedgeski

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 October, 2021, 10:14:30 AM
While waiting on Metroid Dread to arrive in the post I downloaded Doom (2016) on my PS5 partially on a curious whim / partially because it was only a coupla quid.
Metroid Dread is bloody brilliant. I'm sneaking every spare minute I can find.

Richmond Clements

(thinking of returning to the forum gently)

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Mostly great, but man she does a lot of killing rather than tomb raiding. Currently caught in an annoying bottle neck were she has to swim below ice and pick off bad guys. I mean, she's a teenage girl processing her father's death. Is ice-picking anonymous men to death really the way to go?

milstar

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 October, 2021, 03:14:49 PM

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Mostly great, but man she does a lot of killing rather than tomb raiding. Currently caught in an annoying bottle neck were she has to swim below ice and pick off bad guys. I mean, she's a teenage girl processing her father's death. Is ice-picking anonymous men to death really the way to go?

That's the issue i have with that so-called "modern" reboot. Technically speaking, these are good games, but they are not the Tomb Raider I remember. And where the puzzles that made me feverishly sweating for the whole day. Plus, Laura is not a psycho, a female Rambo (which sounds actually more as an oxymoron) to have the borderline sadistic treatment for herself and the others. I mean, in the first one, she gets impaled on a pole or something. Gtfo.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Link Prime

Quote from: wedgeski on 14 October, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
While waiting on Metroid Dread to arrive in the post I downloaded Doom (2016) on my PS5 partially on a curious whim / partially because it was only a coupla quid.

Good to hear.
I really liked what Mercury Steam produced with Samus Returns a few years back, so would expect no less from them.

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Mostly great, but man she does a lot of killing rather than tomb raiding. Currently caught in an annoying bottle neck were she has to swim below ice and pick off bad guys.

Welcome back Richmond.

I quite enjoyed the reboot Tomb Raider Trilogy, and Rise is probably the best of the bunch.
If you don't have it already, I would recommend the Baba Yaga DLC - a bonkers little side quest that can be optioned during the main story-line.

Best not to think about the amount of people Lara (or affable Nathan Drake for that matter) have killed throughout their careers - suffice to say Dark Judge membership could feasibly be on offer.

wedgeski

Quote from: milstar on 15 October, 2021, 07:34:07 AM

That's the issue i have with that so-called "modern" reboot. Technically speaking, these are good games, but they are not the Tomb Raider I remember. And where the puzzles that made me feverishly sweating for the whole day. Plus, Laura is not a psycho, a female Rambo (which sounds actually more as an oxymoron) to have the borderline sadistic treatment for herself and the others. I mean, in the first one, she gets impaled on a pole or something. Gtfo.
I disagree on most counts. Lara was a killing machine in all of the original games, it was simply sanitised by video game tropes and capabilities of the time. At least the first of the Tomb Raider reboots *tried* to address this aspect of her character. As for the puzzles, apart from the exploration aspect which is present and correct, I'd personally rather have the brilliant physics-based, self-enclosed tombs of the reboots than the endless "hope you don't drown" or "push this cube" nonsense of the originals.

milstar

Quote from: wedgeski on 15 October, 2021, 09:37:46 AM
I disagree on most counts. Lara was a killing machine in all of the original games, it was simply sanitised by video game tropes and capabilities of the time. At least the first of the Tomb Raider reboots *tried* to address this aspect of her character. As for the puzzles, apart from the exploration aspect which is present and correct, I'd personally rather have the brilliant physics-based, self-enclosed tombs of the reboots than the endless "hope you don't drown" or "push this cube" nonsense of the originals.

Lara killed people definitely before, but she is first and foremost explorer. I like how they pushed exploration of action in Anniversary. And all of the puzzles in the 2nd reboot are easier to digest than pieces of cake.
I nearly forgot: modern Lara has no sex appeal.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Richmond Clements

I would recommend the Baba Yaga DLC - a bonkers little side quest that can be optioned during the main story-line.

Yeah, I'm on Xbox Game Pass so it has all the stuff and I've played through that one. It was great bonkers fun,

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 October, 2021, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 14 October, 2021, 12:03:45 PM

Good to hear.
I really liked what Mercury Steam produced with Samus Returns a few years back, so would expect no less from them.

Metroid Dread

So far it is everything I hoped it would be.
I've had three intense play sessions this week, > 6 hours each, and have made it as far as the second sweep of Ferenia / Ice Missile upgrade (so I assume about 50% through the game).
A flawless experience so far - intense boss battles, satisfying exploration and progression, and perfect / responsive controls (I am playing docked & using the Pro Controller, maybe it wouldn't be as comfortable otherwise).

Top tip if you have any Metroid related Amiibo lying around - they can be used in game once per 24 hours to replenish energy / missiles (to varying degrees depending on the Amiibo).
This actually saved my bacon during the first Chozo warrior battle when my Missile complement was relatively low.

Probably not much of a spoiler for anyone who's played it, but I assume that Raven Beak [spoiler]is Samus' adoptive father?[/spoiler]
Guess I will find out by the weekend.

CalHab

Quote from: wedgeski on 15 October, 2021, 09:37:46 AM

I agree. The self-enclosed tombs are fun and the open-world stuff is well done in all three games. I'm a big fan of the reboots. Firing the bow, climbing up rock walls. All great fun.

repoman

Currently enjoying Far Cry 6.  It's very Ubisoft, as you'd expect, but they are very good at putting you in a world and then giving you ALL THE TOYS to destroy things with.  If I've got any criticism, it's that it's too easy.  So much so that I actually started equipping a weaker load out.

But there's still a ton of fun to be had trying to stealth your way through a base, getting caught and then fending off helicopters with an EMP grenade launcher.  Fun stuff.

Currently reviewing Carrion where you basically play as the thing from The Thing.  It's a metroidvania kind of affair.  I'm not sure I'm liking it.  The controls are a bit fiddly.  Will stick with it though.

milstar

Tomb Raider Legend

The nostalgia trip down to memory lane wasn't that thrilling as it was 15 years ago - but I do fondly remember Legend as the first game I got on my then newly PC. And countless hours I spent on solving its (again, then) nerve-racking puzzles. Now as I have a photographic memory, most of the puzzles were not mind demanding (save very few), so the walkthrough was childsplay. But this is the definite Lara to me. Graphically, the game looks dated, although it looked mindblowing in 2006. What definitely wasn't good then and wasn't good now are shooting mechanics, although I loved motorcycle sections (which unfortunately occur twice in the game). This one is that the reboots games clearly have improved. But like I said, Legend will remain a legend. Plus, Keeley Hawes is unsurpassed voice actor for Lara. Soothing and classy.

Tom Clancy's EndWar

Not so much an RTS fan, unless it's something closely related to military conflicts. This one was more of a chore, as I have already beaten the game before, first as European, then as Russian. Now I am about to close it as American. I think this had a lot of potentials, but the execution is a mixed bag. If just the gameplay had been a bit polished, this would be legendary. If it wasn't for the battlefield's close reliance on "rock, paper, shotgun" mechanics. Such chess style of gameplay is someone's cup of tea, but not mine. Once you surmount those, there is no surprise there. When you know which unit to send to the incoming enemy's unit. And there is no difference between Russian, American, and European troops. Either way, the game has some nice touches here and there but ultimately feels let down. Although my impression would slightly improve if they have added the British campaign...

Link Prime

Quote from: milstar on 01 November, 2021, 09:51:02 PM

Plus, Keeley Hawes is unsurpassed voice actor for Lara.

I'd somehow either never known that or completely forgotten it, but what a great choice for a voice actor.

Legend was far more enjoyable than the sequel Underworld as far as I recall, but the game-play of both pales in comparison to the modern reboot trilogy.