Main Menu

New Year. Zarjaz New Graphic Novels!

Started by 2000AD Online, 20 January, 2006, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Can one of the officials round here check with Amazon.co.Uk & see if they are advertisng the very same Slaine 'Book of Invasions' Book one, on their website.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904265820/qid%3D1137954776/026-0452873-9003601

The covers different. That would make this version of the cover for this volume the third and the better looking cover out of the other two I have seen. One of which has been advertised on the UK Amazon website for the last two to three months. I have mailed my money to them as I don't use credit card.

Thing is, that I'm not so sure that what they have been advertising isn't some dodgy mock-up. As I have found  out on the Mongoose publishimg website a while back that they also have been advertising a 'Nemesis the Warlock: Role Playing Game, Core rules book.' When asked about it, they said they weren't so sure themselves.

Makes you wonder about their other products now.

I had been trying to order that Slaine Novel through them. The first time I went through Western Union just before X-mas, and they didn't pick up my money, now this time I have mailed the money as a international cheque straight to their accounts office.

So far they haven't got my money yet. It may just be the postal service. Anyway, If they don't pick it up this time. They will lose my buisness with them. Then I may try to order that book through the 2000AD online shop. Does 2000AD online except mail order cheque. I hope they do.

On the subject of the Lanely cover. The new one looks great. It does remind me of the cover for a computer game called 'Sacrifice' It would be few years old now. The face of Moloch & the face of Carnel on the game are both drawn looking very much similar.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sacrifice-PC-Game_W0QQitemZ8247140004QQcategoryZ27234QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

There, you have to disregard the fact that Slaine & Niamh are drawn in the foreground like gaint pair of hands belonging to the face floating in the background. So that in other picture it's actualley is a pair of giant hands belonging to the face floating in the background.

WOW!!.

ThryllSeekyr

Oh, I have been meaning to ask, will that new Slaine book be featuring all of the relevant Slaine cover art, including what covered the front & back pages covered in those Progs chronicling Moloch & Golamh?

It would be a shame to leave them out.

The Amstor Computer

Thryllseeker --

The Slaine book you linked to is the same as the one advertised here, but Amazon are still using the old mockup cover that's been floating around.

Amazon's listings are a fucking mess at the moment, with books that were planned but never released, books that are planned but with the wrong release dates, and some books missing altogether. They can sometimes be useful as an indicator of what is coming out, but more and more recently I've found their Rebellion listings pretty useless.

As for your query about art, I believe Jon Oliver - the Rebellion TPB editor - has said that Clint Langley handed over a great deal of extra material for use in the collection. The book is 112 pages long, but there are only 88 pages of story in there, so I'd expect a fairly substantial "extras" section. There should be two covers and two double-covers to include, which would take up 6 pages if printed at original size, plus whatever else Langley submitted for inclusion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/invasions2.jpg">

Original mock-up, reusing an old cover

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/invasions1.jpg">

Final cover

IndigoPrime

Amazon works on the basis of "holding" covers, which are often replaced when the cover is updated by the publisher. However, Amazon also works on the basis of an external database, and it can often be glacially slow to get the organisation to update things, hence why the covers you see on Amazon (along with dates and other information) are often incorrect. Whatever you see on _this_ site is the accurate one.

The Amstor Computer

"Glacially slow" = Amazon stillusing mock-up covers from over a year ago (...and they've only just listed Carver Hale, in spite of it having been available for quite some time now).

swert

Where can I order the Slaine Books of Invasion from and expect delivery within the week?

Wake

I very much doubt that you would be able to collect The Books of Invasion in person from Tharg's Nerve Centre by the end of next week.

Cheers,

Wake

IndigoPrime

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I wrote to Amazon four times about a cock-up in the listing for my previous book, and they kept claiming there was nothing they could do about it, then that I should talk to my publisher. When I told them that I had talked to my publisher and that they too had asked for the information to be changed several times, Amazon went back to the "it's from an external database?it's out of our hands" argument. When I wrote for the final time, suggesting that they were talking shite, and that they do in fact update stuff themselves, the information magically changed.

One suspects that Jonathan and co. don't want to have to go through that every time?life's too short!

Wake

I very much doubt that you would be able to collect The Books of Invasion in person from Tharg's Nerve Centre by the end of next week.

Well I don't know about the Slaine book, but the other two arrived today and are now in the Future Shop.

Cheers,

Wake