Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: milstar on 17 November, 2021, 05:19:30 PM
But how do you call a guy in distress? Dane in distress?

Dude in distress.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 November, 2021, 01:51:30 AM
Dude in distress:

Is he in distress because he's at the Oscars, thus surrounded by Hollywood's most exploitative predators?

A cock in a frock will cause me no shock, but thon looks like one of them dolls that hide the shame of toilet paper.
You may quote me on that.

M.I.K.

Who can say why he's in distress as opposed to datdress.

Now you mention it though, he does look like the combined upstairs ornamentation of my late grandmother's residence circa 1986, (Charlie Chaplin figurine outside toilet, fancy bog-roll wumman inside).

Dandontdare

Jim_Campbell

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I can't deny it — there's something missing about not queuing up at a multiplex with a few hundred other people to see a 'tentpole' movie that adds something to the whole experience, but Cineworld's (my only easily-accessible IMAX cinema) covid mitigation measures are, to say the least, unsatisfactory. So, I have no expectation of going to the actual pictures in the foreseeable future, which is depressing.

So, we caught Shang-Chi on Disney+ tonight.

It's great. I mean, insert your (my) standard complaint about an over-CGI-reliant finale here, but, honestly, I really enjoyed it. It looks lovely throughout — it's worth watching for the early fight sequences (especially the much-praised bus fight at the start) but it's basically Marvel does Crouching Tiger/House of Flying Daggers.

Obviously, if you insert "Marvel" at the start of that sentence then for a non-trivial bunch of people that invalidates the rest of the sentiment, but I really enjoyed it. Stick with it for both the mid-credit and end-of-credit sequences.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

inkymonkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2021, 10:08:59 PM

It's great. I mean, insert your (my) standard complaint about an over-CGI-reliant finale here, but, honestly, I really enjoyed it. It looks lovely throughout — it's worth watching for the early fight sequences (especially the much-praised bus fight at the start) but it's basically Marvel does Crouching Tiger/House of Flying Daggers.

Obviously, if you insert "Marvel" at the start of that sentence then for a non-trivial bunch of people that invalidates the rest of the sentiment, but I really enjoyed it. Stick with it for both the mid-credit and end-of-credit sequences.

I have to admit, I did manage to catch it at the cinema here in Oz (finally), and wasn't blown away... but caught it again with the family on Disney+ last weekend and enjoyed it a heap more the second time around.

Had a similar experience with Black Widow, and pretty sure I'll do the same with Eternals. These recent Marvel films do seem to grow on you...

Jim_Campbell

Oh, and I forgot to say: a surprisingly pleasing guest appearance from another Marvel franchise character that I definitely wasn't expecting. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Smith

The Titan. It's an interesting concept,but a forgettable movie.

CalHab

I enjoyed it. The bus fight and the scaffold fight are brilliant set pieces and the lead characters are likeable and charismatic. I thought it went adrift in the final act, but its all good, daft fun. Perfect for a Friday night with a beer.

pictsy

Death to Smoochie

Interesting and mildly amusing dark comedy about children's television and corruption.  It was engaging and entertaining but I wouldn't call it anything remarkable.

Hawkmumbler

THE FRENCH DISPATCH

Was entertained in the typical 'oh what larks' fashion of Andersons other films, but when the third segment transitioned into a Tintinesque animation evocative of a Bunuel illustration by way of Escher I was inwardly hooting and hollering. Unexpectedly joyful.

broodblik

Red Notice watched and enjoyed it. Over-the-top action and some nice humor but in essence better to park your brain in neutral.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: broodblik on 23 November, 2021, 12:40:51 PM
Red Notice watched and enjoyed it. Over-the-top action and some nice humor but in essence better to park your brain in neutral.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood but even with my brain switched off this was more like SHIT NOTICE. Every aspect of it seemed fake from cinematography to effects to dialogue to sets to relationships. And how three normally likeable leads can deliver such flat performances is beyond me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!