Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Aftersun was on BBC2 last night, and it was great.

The Legendary Shark

American Fiction. A fab film about a black American writer who, finding little success with his published serious novels, writes a gutter novel instead. Excellent.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

The Outfit, a kind of gentrified Reservoir Dogs. I liked it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Rebel Moon (2023)

Kind of baffled by the consensus on this one. It's absolute bollocks of the highest degree but it at least as something of an aligned vision and scope, weirdly reminiscent of similarly flawed sci-fi operatics of Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, hell theres some stuff in here visually and on a thematic level that actually kind of works and goes hard in doing so? Like there's a nugget of a gem in here.
IDK, it's guff most assuredly but did it deserve the lashing it got? An intriguing failure to me is of far more worth than a boring safe sell...I was going to put an Immortals joke here, I hope people appreciate how much restraint that required.

The Legendary Shark

Jones Plantation (2023). Somewhat on the nose political allegory. Think Animal Farm but with humans instead of animals.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2024, 08:55:59 PMThink Animal Farm but with humans instead of animals.

Sounds like reality to me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Argylle

Definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Whether I'd recommend it depends on your opinion of the Kingsman films, and your tolerance for the campier elements of Bond.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Legendary Shark

Attack of the Meth Gator (2023). This is a very silly film, as one might expect from the title, but it does more or less what it says on the tin with a certain clumsy charm.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

The Zone of Interest (2023)

Glazar has this unusual capacity to produce works that sort of rapidly bloom inside you.
The banality of evil is such a well trodden ground that for the first 30 mins of The Zone of Interest I found myself wondering on more than a few occasions 'so we're just going to be doing this again, reaffirming that fascists are some of the most boring none entities to ever waste air?'. And for the majority of the film thats generally seemed to be the treatise, this IS a banal family-work drama that just so happens to be about some of the most evil creatures to ever blight this planet, set to the ever encroaching soundtrack of ceaseless human suffering, always heard yet forever unseen, divided by walls either literal, metaphysical or fixed by the constraints of the eye-lens.
And then that final sequence hits, and the whole thing is cast in a new, temporal light.
I wasn't sure if I liked The Zone of Interest, I'm also not really sure if it challenged me in one way or another, but its certainly made me feel something...I'll have to think on that and return to it someday.
Then I slept on it, and found myself incapable of thinking about it. There's a deeply raw, piercing effect at play here. Deeply effecting, potentially distressing.
A cold, black sun at the heart of a dead cosmos.

Rara Avis

The sound editing was amazing but overall such a deeply engrossing journey on a well trodden path.

broodblik

I watched Dune - Part 2 on Imax this weekend and it was brilliant. If you liked part 1 go and see this on the big screen. The FX was done is such a realistic way that it put all these superheroes FX to a shame. The sound and music really enhanced the movie as well. A very good adoption of the book - again for all those wannabe writers that think they can do better job than the source material you can learn from this (I am looking at you Amazon for destroying Wheel of Time)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2024, 05:58:22 PMI watched Dune - Part 2 on Imax this weekend and it was brilliant. If you liked part 1...

And if you've forgotten part 1: Previously On - DUNE
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: Funt Amenable to Change on 04 March, 2024, 07:37:30 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2024, 05:58:22 PMI watched Dune - Part 2 on Imax this weekend and it was brilliant. If you liked part 1...

And if you've forgotten part 1: Previously On - DUNE

Fabulous. Spidey cameo makes it

Richard

Just saw Dune part two and it was totally brilliant.

BadlyDrawnKano

The Sweatbox - An absolutely fascinating documentary about how Disney spent four years working on an animated film called Emperor Of The Sun, directed by The Lion King's Roger Alllers, with Sting providing many of the songs, only for two executives to come along and say they didn't like it. Which led to Allers being let go / fired, and a group of writers all but rewrote the entire thing where it eventually became The Emperor's New Groove. Disney have refused to release this, but it is available to watch for free on the Internet Archive - https://archive.org/details/SweatboxDocumentaryUneditedVersion - and I really can't recommend it highly enough, it's both a fantastic insight in to how Disney made movies back then, but also the brutality that takes place when two people are given too much power.