Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Spikes on 20 September, 2016, 10:15:51 PM
Fast forward to December, and Arrow will be releasing a 4K restored 4 disc set (2 Blu + 2 DVD) - HERE

But it's incomplete, it doesn't include the amazing sequel -

Spikes

It's like the Complete PJ Maybe all over again  :(

Magnetica

For those that are interested in these things;

Purchased the 2010 released 'Ultimate 2 disc edition' Blu-ray of Donnie Darko this year for a good cheap price, and whilst the picture quality wasn't that much of a step up from the previous DVD's, I thought this'll do nicely....

Fast forward to December, and Arrow will be releasing a 4K restored 4 disc set (2 Blu + 2 DVD) - HERE

So which versions of the film does that contain? I have both the "standard" DVD with the original cinematic version and the 2 disc Director's Cut DVD.

Which version do you prefer?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 September, 2016, 10:49:55 PM
So which versions of the film does that contain? I have both the "standard" DVD with the original cinematic version and the 2 disc Director's Cut DVD.

If you follow the link posted by Spikes it tells you what's in the box -

Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster

PsychoGoatee

Just saw Max Knight Ultra Spy (second time!) in a movie theater, for a monthly thing called Trash Night. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237446/

It is bonkers, a lost classic from 2000. They go into the game Half-Life in the movie for example, wild stuff.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 21 September, 2016, 05:46:00 AM
It is bonkers, a lost classic from 2000. They go into the game Half-Life in the movie for example, wild stuff.

What

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 September, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 21 September, 2016, 05:46:00 AM

What

The whole movie is worth seeing, but it's in the middle of this clip on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5S2EEcgWw&list=PL39431A9847F15C7E&index=9

The movie is pretty amazing.  :D

dweezil2

Can't claim to be a massive jazz fan (nice) but the Netflix documentary on the troubled Jazz pianist and singer Nina Simone, What Happened Miss Simone is fascinating stuff and comes highly recommended.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler

Macross: Do You Remember Love? (1984, dir(s). Shōji Kawamori & Noboru Ishiguro)

Macross is something of an enigmatic juggernaut. Whilst Gundam boasts dozens upon dozens of sequels, spin-offs, re-imaginings and remakes as well as enjoying at least three renaissances in the west, Macross has always eluded many western fans, me included. Like Gundam, it sports a significant (but nowhere near comparable in size) back catalog of material, but so very little of it is available in the west in any format...unless you include Robotech. Which I don't. So it was with considerable anticipation I finally dove into the franchise with the highly venerated redux of the original series, Do You Remember Love?.

And it's jolly well mind blowing stuff, anyone who doesn't think the Japanese know how to make a damn good space opera need to give this beauty a whirl and see the what they're missing. The fundamental idea of humanity caught between two warring faction of a species split between man and women is no new concept, but it's dealt so deftly here, and being dropped straight into the proceedings is a wonderfully executed way of just cutting to the meat of the matter, the war of the sexes. The designs are  vivid and fluid, the soundtrack delightfully early 80's, characters fleshed out as well as the time frame can allow, action sequences are SUPERBLY animated by some of the masters of the period. And the finale is a scene so brilliantly silly, thrown at us with considerable gusto in an among a barrage of missiles and exploding robots. Are you ready for this? [spoiler]The 'enemy' is literally defeated by the power of love, a 2000 year old pop song, and a photon torpedo to the face.[/spoiler] Amazing.

I really, really would recommend folk give the movie a try, it's just one of the classic 80's anime excesses that make you wonder how any of this ever got beyond a cheese dream but is executed with such style and timing it's utterly compelling and delightfully entertaining.

Spaceghost

Oooh, I love (no pun intended) Macross, but it is an acquired taste. The robot/fighter plane action spliced with sugar-sweet J-pop and soppy teenage love triangles is a formula repeated in every iteration and it works better in some incarnations than in others.

If I might be so bold as to give you viewing suggestions, I'd say miss Macross II (not canon), jump back in with Macross Plus, skip Macross 7 (horseshit), then watch the Macross Zero miniseries which is a prequel to the original series before finally soaking in the high camp of Macross Frontier.

By the time you've grown accustomed to the robot/pop/love triangle formula in the others, Macross Frontier's frequent tonal u-turns won't seem so jarring. And the soundtrack, by Yoko Kanno, is actually pretty fantastic.

There's a new series airing at the moment called Macross Delta, but I haven't had a chance to see that yet.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 September, 2016, 12:25:43 PM
. And the finale is a scene so brilliantly silly, thrown at us with considerable gusto in an among a barrage of missiles and exploding robots. Are you ready for this? [spoiler]The 'enemy' is literally defeated by the power of love, a 2000 year old pop song, and a photon torpedo to the face.[/spoiler] Amazing.

Ah, I knew Star Trek Beyond knicked that ending from somewhere.

I was about to reveal that Macross was one  of the few anime/mecha wotsits I have seen and enjoyed, and then you dismissed Robotech, which is of course how I know it... :'(

Hawkmumbler

Aaahhh but see, I've never actually watched Robotech. And with the original SDF Macross available online instead I think I'll just bypass it entirely.

Oh, and nice to see Tordels has great taste after all.  :lol:

Satanist

The Purge Election year, better than the first but not as good as the second.

and the actual idea of the purge is unworkable but lets not go into that.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

PsychoGoatee

Agreed on the Macross love there! Have you seen Arcadia of My Youth by the way? (Awesome stand-alone Harlock movie, much like that in epicness)

As for Macross 7, at least check out the music by Fire Bomber, and Yoshiki Fukuyama in general. So awesome.

Also, check out Crusher Joe if you haven't! (You mentioned Dirty Pair before, so you'd dig it) - I'll throw in two more, Gunsmith Cats and Bastard!! Also Mazinkaiser.

Michael Knight

Barb Wire! Was on tv and its worse than i ever thought!
:lol: