Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 22 March, 2021, 08:00:07 PM
"Alan!  Alan!  Could you sign this?  I'll just pass it under the cubicle door!"

I can't help picturing Life Sentence's last scene in Halo Jones...  :o
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Goosegash

Had a bit of lightbulb moment when I realised why Sesame Street's Count Von Count is consumed with a desire to be counting things

Because you see, as well as being a humorous pun on the word "count", in vampiric mythology, a sure-fire way to escape a necking is to throw a handful of seeds on the ground, whereupon Brer Vampire will be unable to resist abandoning his pursuit in order to count the fallen produce, thereby facilitating your escape.

AH AH AHHH!

Funt Solo

He was actually pretty polite about it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jacqusie

Just listening to the radio tonight and a certain story based on Romeo and Juliet and another, praised widely as one of the best Batman tales ever told and renderd came to mind.

So firstly the Band was Killing Joke and we all know and love the Graphic Novel which is a glorious episode in comic history. The song?

A Love like Blood which was is a lesser known but pretty good story by Frazer Irvine and John Smith, both of who we miss very much in the prog

https://2000ad.com/news/the-2000-ad-abc-a-love-like-blood/

The lightbulb moment came after hearing this great song many times, putting both the comix references together, which no doubt many of you have done I'm sure by now...

:)

sheridan

Love Like Blood must be the most played Killing Joke song at goth clubs in all the years I've frequented them, so for me I immeditely connected the name of the 2000AD series with the song.  As a matter of interest, there's also a German darkwave band named after the song.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 22 March, 2021, 08:28:45 AM
Isnt it straight from Private Eye's 'Inspector Knacker of the Yard', as a generic referral to the police?

SBT

Given the Antipodean connection with the creators I wouldn't be surprised if the title isn't also play on Patricia Wrightson's wonderful 1973 children's novel The Nargun & The Stars which was made into this television miniseries in 1979.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jacqusie on 20 April, 2021, 06:38:49 PM
A Love like Blood which was is a lesser known but pretty good story by Frazer Irvine and John Smith, both of who we miss very much in the prog

Named for the German goth band who took their name from the song, not the Killing Joke song itself, according to Smiffy himself in a discussion about a million years on the old 2000AD Usenet group.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 March, 2021, 11:11:37 PM

Then sacrificing you to his snake god.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: milstar on 21 April, 2021, 01:06:25 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 March, 2021, 11:11:37 PM

Then sacrificing you to his snake god.

...which I'm picturing as being very similar to Emu knocking a celebrity off a chair, while Rod Hull feigns shock and pretends to reprimand him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Something that kind of still goes over my head:  Edie and Simon's amazing Dante podcast has just reminded me of something I was never sure about in Dante.

So, is everyone in the story speaking Russian, which has been translated to English as a concession to the reader? Including in the UK and Amerika?  Or does the whole world speak English in 2666 onward?  I would have said the latter, but shop signs and the like are often in Russian.  But sometimes they're in English.

Or am I overthinking this?  I still remember Sláine chatting away without a bother with Egyptian invaders as soon as they arrived in Ireland.

Funt Solo

I reckon they're speaking Russian in Russia (thus the signs), but English where the signs are in English - and then either Dante speaks a couple of languages or his Crest is auto-translating.

For Slaine - we could use the "Night at the Museum" excuse and just have the Egyptians as highly-educated sorts who went to Cambridge.

Now - I've just read the first Chimpsky story (prog 2131), and it's clear that Noam sees and hears the world a little differently than your average Mega-City primate. The signs and Dredd's speech are translated to what he experiences. But - when Chimpsky speaks, it's in long-sentence English - but what is Dredd hearing? I'm assuming that for Dredd it's just "ooh ooh ooh". Just not sure.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Corinthian

I imagine when Dredd is talking to anyone all he hears is a constant stream of either "I'm a perp I'm a perp I'm a perp" or "I'm not a perp yet but I will be I'm not a perp yet but I will be I'm not a perp yet but I will be".

Woolly

Quote from: The Corinthian on 01 May, 2021, 06:02:09 PM
I imagine when Dredd is talking to anyone all he hears is a constant stream of either "I'm a perp I'm a perp I'm a perp" or "I'm not a perp yet but I will be I'm not a perp yet but I will be I'm not a perp yet but I will be".

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 May, 2021, 03:11:42 PM
I reckon they're speaking Russian in Russia (thus the signs), but English where the signs are in English - and then either Dante speaks a couple of languages or his Crest is auto-translating.

Yeah, I'll take it.