Main Menu

Digital comics - advice/recommendations/bargains

Started by Spaceghost, 12 November, 2013, 03:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

I've just bought myself a Nexus 7 and I've been gingerly poking around in the realm of digital comics.

I've got the Comixology app and I bought vol 1 (5 issues) of the 'new 52' Batman series for £2.50 which was great value.

The last time I read a regular Batman comic, it was drawn by Alan Davis and I didn't have grey hair so I was worried it would all be too new and confusing. I needn't have worried though, it was very newreader friendly and actually a cracking Batman story.

Trouble is, the next volume is about 8 quid which seems A LOT for 5 issues of digital comic.

I've also been buying single issues of Moth City (excellent title which makes full, innovative use of the digital medium) and Dept of Monsterology direct from the Renegade Arts website(again, excellent).

I just wondered if anyone has any advice on where else to find good digital comics, if there are any titles that anyone would recommend and if there are any online bargains/sales that anyone is aware of.

We could use this thread as an ongoing update on any digital comics developnments.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

One of the great things about digital is that a lot of 1st issues are either cheap (69p) or free. If you have a look around in Comixology you'll find the 'free' section, so you have have a browse around for free comics, and any given series you can think of will probably be either cheap or free to try out.

QuoteTrouble is, the next volume is about 8 quid which seems A LOT for 5 issues of digital comic.

Hmmm. You'll find that a lot - digital collected editions are a bit of a mess atm and quite overpirced as far as I'm concerned. I would wait til there's a sale on. Perhaps follow Comixology on Twitter and Facebook to get tipped off.

IndigoPrime

It's probably worth noting that digital comics will rarely be cheaper than print for all kinds of reasons. Online stores take a big cut, for a start, and digital goods are subject to VAT, unlike print. (Books are VAT-free in the UK.) Also, creating the material has always been the major cost.

There are always bargains to be found if you shop around though. Kindle quite often has good deals on IDW comics, for example.

The Adventurer

I've been 100% digital since November of last year, one of the best decisions I ever made. The convenience factor of not having to go to specialty shoppes (or wait on online shipments) or store physical books has far outweighed any potential negitives digital brings to the table (really, the only negative of digital is no collector value)

One thing I've also managed to get over is the idea that digital product must be free or cheap to be worth buying. I now regularly buy new material at the same price of print releases. I don't always, and often take advantage of the semi-standard way that digital comics drop in price after a month (on ComiXology anyway). But I feel that paying full price for new releases is only fair. And the fact is the majority of comic production costs is in comic itself, not the paper its printed on I feel comfortable paying full price.

Your mileage may vary, but if you're actively considering fully switching to digital you might want to examine why you read comics. If its for the comics, don't be afraid to spend a little more on new comics (and take advantage of all the great ComiXology sales to fill in your back catalog!). If you've got a streak of a collector in you, digital might not be for you.

Perhaps of use to you... I wrote up a 'Digital Comics Report Card' over on the CBR forum a week or so ago. As a way of collecting my thoughts on various digital avenues. You may find it useful. Be aware I did write it from the perspective of an iPad owner. Android might have its differences in some areas. For example I don't know what the best choice in CBR or PDF readers on the Android are. On iPad I use ComicZeal.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Whats the consensus on DC's new 52 Demon Knights? Thinking on picking up the trades as they are going cheap on amazon market place.

pauljholden

Personally, I think the Marvel Unlimited thing is a really good deal - paying in advance works out to be under a fiver for all the (marvel) comics you can read, news stuff added every week. It's always at least six months behind what's on the shelves, and there's SO much stuff there that it can be difficult to find your feet on where to start, but there's lots and lots of good stuff.  (Like two issues of Avengers assemble by Al Ewing, the second of which has a real feel of early Alan Moore Captain Britain stuff with lots of great moments and some inspired UK new superheroes...)

-pj

Spaceghost

Cheers everyone. To be honest, I don't really buy 'floppies' as a rule and I don't read superhero comics either unless they are outstandingly noteworthy.

The only reason I bought the Batman collection is because it was cheap, I wanted to see what reading a graphic novel on my Nexus was like and Batman isn't your typical, boring (to me) superhero fare. I'm more interested in buying collected editions of non-superhero stuff but felt a bit lost in the online wilderness.

I've been browsing a lot on various apps and I'm starting to find my feet. I've just started getting the new, re-launched Dark Horse Presents anthology title (first issue free) on the dedicated Dark Horse Comics Android app which is great.

I've also just bought From Hell on Comixology for the low, low price of £2.49! It's about the only Alan Moore comic I don't own and have never read so I'm dead chuffed.

In fact, for anyone who's interested, there's a huge Top Shelf sale on Comixology at the moment, including all the recent League of Extraordinary Gentlemen stuff and the brilliant Infinite Kung Fu which is also £2.49.

radiator

Yep, I picked up From Hell and The Underwater Welder for £2.49 each.

Anything else in the Top Shelf Sale people would recommend?

QuoteIt's probably worth noting that digital comics will rarely be cheaper than print for all kinds of reasons. Online stores take a big cut, for a start, and digital goods are subject to VAT, unlike print. (Books are VAT-free in the UK.) Also, creating the material has always been the major cost.

I've heard this argument a lot, and while it makes a certain kind of sense, it somewhat makes a mockery of the established publishing business model (hardback being much more expensive than paperback for example) and it's no justification for the majority of digital tpbs being if anything more expensive than the print edition, which just seems bananas to me.

Obviously I'm not so naive to think digital should cost a fraction of print, but publishers need to take into account that from a consumer point of view, digital feels disposable and transient. I never really feel like my digital comics are permanent - what if Comixology went bust tomorrow? What if one of the big two pulled their entire catalogue due to a dispute? Digital also has no potential resell value.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 13 November, 2013, 02:26:58 PMit somewhat makes a mockery of the established publishing business model (hardback being much more expensive than paperback for example)
Among other reasons, hardbacks are generally more expensive because of material costs, shipping costs and also them being more limited runs.

Quoteand it's no justification for the majority of digital tpbs being if anything more expensive than the print edition, which just seems bananas to me.
It depends on what you're making comparisons with, though. Are you doing like-for-like RRP, or are you comparing with the likes of Amazon, which regularly strips profits back to zero? Also, even in a straight RRP comparison, the digital item will have 20% VAT slapped on it, whereas the paper product will not.

QuoteObviously I'm not so naive to think digital should cost a fraction of print, but publishers need to take into account that from a consumer point of view, digital feels disposable and transient.
I agree, but that's also extremely depressing and part of the reason digital has so little value. A generation's now growing up that thinks it's fine to just download everything. They're going to have a shock in 20 years when huge swathes of media disappear because they are no longer remotely viable.

QuoteI never really feel like my digital comics are permanent - what if Comixology went bust tomorrow? What if one of the big two pulled their entire catalogue due to a dispute?
This, however, strikes a chord with me. I'm not a big fan of digital when I can't keep a copy locally, unless the service is akin to a library (Netflix, for example). Give me either an open or an insanely popular format, and let me keep copies independently of the apps, when possible.

The Adventurer

Here' scan interesting anecdote about the longevity of digital goods.  Before Dark Horse launched their own app, they very briefly offered a select number of totals via ComiXology. At the time I bought issue 1 of Hellboy. Eventually Dark Horse went their own way and discontinued their ComiXology support, pulling their offered titles from the ComiXology store.

However, that issue of Hellboy I bought? I can still download it on my ComiXology app to this day. My general feeling is worries of future accessibility of digital goods is generally overblown, and that much to worry about all

That said, I'll buy DRM-free goods over DRM-locked goods any day.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Bolt-01

Talking about digital releases? Then surely you need:

FutureQuake Archive 04-06

See where it all started! Over 140 pages of small press shocker featuring the talents of:

Al Ewing, Alan Donald, Arthur Ranson, Arthur Wyatt, Barny Shergold, Bolt-01, Bryan Coyle, Charlie Adlard, Colin Dinnie, Cullen Bunn, Daniel Whiston, David Knight, Derek Hamill, Dunk! Nimmo, Ed Berridge, Ed Traquino, Eddie Robson, Gary Wilkinson, Geoffrey Shane, Gibson Quarter, Greame Cluskey, Inaki Miranda, James Kircough, James Mackay,  Johnny McMonagle, Josh Idehen, Julia Bax, Keith Burns, Kieran Murphy, Lonny Chant, Mark Woodland, Martin Gooch, Martin Timmins, Matthew Banwell, Matt Timson,  Mick Trimble, Micheal Carroll, Mike Molcher, Paul Crilley, Paul Glasswell, Paul Scott, Paul Williams, Peter Anckorn, Richmond Clements, Robert Timmins, Simeon Aston, Simon Penter, Steve Roberts, Stewart McKenny, Vicky Stonebridge, Yul Tolbert

Unavailable for many years, see early works by some of the rising stars of today's comics!

Available via Comicsy! for only £2.00

Spaceghost

Just a heads up; Comixology have got a bit of a Black Friday sale on, including an Imsge Comics section.

Jusg got myself volumes 1and 2 of Saga and volume 1 of Prophet for £2.99 each. Right bargain.

Dodsy

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 November, 2013, 11:19:49 AM
Jusg got myself volumes 1and 2 of Saga and volume 1 of Prophet for £2.99 each. Right bargain.

Love Saga, one of the best (if not the best) Image is putting out right now.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Bolt-01

I've just done a blog post about 100% Biodegradable after getting the heads up via Down The Tubes and downloading a copy. A cracking little comic for just £1.00

Spaceghost

That looks pretty good for a pound. Is that the same giant killer hamster story which was in Strip Magazine last year?

Dark Horse Digital have a one-day-only sale today and everything is half price. Just got myself some Hellboy bundles, a few issues of the excellent Dark Horse Presents and a Concrete collection.