Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: jacob g on 15 December, 2016, 11:10:50 AM

The only thing bad is music.

Yeah, the score was unmemorable.

By all accounts it was a rush job and it shows in the final result.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

My main issue with the film is we know the outcome, which negates a lot of the drama-it was the same issue that plagued the prequels, but at least in Rogue One the characters appear more human and convincing in their motivations!

[spoiler][spoiler]Kill crazy Vader at the end was a delight though![/spoiler][/spoiler]

Worth a tenner though and the 3D was fairly good after the appalling job on Star Trek Beyond-which rendered everything a murky indistinguishable mess.

Can't say I was convinced by the CGI cameos though.

Will Cooling

Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 December, 2016, 12:16:23 PM
My main issue with the film is we know the outcome, which negates a lot of the drama-it was the same issue that plagued the prequels, but at least in Rogue One the characters appear more human and convincing in their motivations!

[spoiler][spoiler]Kill crazy Vader at the end was a delight though![/spoiler][/spoiler]

Worth a tenner though and the 3D was fairly good after the appalling job on Star Trek Beyond-which rendered everything a murky indistinguishable mess.

Can't say I was convinced by the CGI cameos though.

[spoiler][spoiler]Everything with Vader was a joy. They did a really good job of pitching him just right so as not to contradict New Hope. I really hope we get a Vader solo movie at some point[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

JOE SOAP

My main issue with the film is we know the outcome, which negates a lot of the drama-it was the same issue that plagued the prequels

That should never really be an issue or an excuse since - unlike the Prequels - we have no familiarity with the main characters or their fate.

We know the Titanic will sink; the outcome of Vietnam, both World Wars and historical wars in general, yet films based around them have never suffered dramatically from foreknowledge. No reason this shouldn't apply to a Star Wars film.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 December, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
My main issue with the film is we know the outcome, which negates a lot of the drama-it was the same issue that plagued the prequels

That should never really be an issue or an excuse since - unlike the Prequels - we have no familiarity with the main characters or their fate.

We know the Titanic will sink; the outcome of Vietnam, both World Wars and historical wars in general, yet films based around them have never suffered dramatically from foreknowledge. No reason this shouldn't apply to a Star Wars film.

Well considering none of the characters in this prequel are ever mentioned of again in successive Star Wars movies, it's a pretty forgone conclusion to their fate, I'd argue this renders the drama rather inert.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy aspects of it.

In fact, it was the quieter moments and world building I enjoyed more, rather than the, at times repetitive and somewhat tedious battle sequences.

It did look visually beautiful at times too!

Mattofthespurs

Agreed in all the points above regarding characters.
For me this was more a World War II/ Vietnam movie set in the Star Wars Universe. And it was better for it. In my top 3 Star Wars movies.
Oh, I liked the soundtrack/score too.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Arkwright99 on 15 December, 2016, 11:16:15 AM

[spoiler]It's darker than Star Wars/Force Awakens but not as dark as Empire given it leads directly into A New Hope.

[spoiler]I thought it was much darker than ESB. I mean, FFS, everyone dies![/spoiler]

Grugz

tried not to touch those spoiler tags but I clipped it... anyway seeing this tomorrow while the wife is let loose in dunelm.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 December, 2016, 03:35:22 PMWell considering none of the characters in this prequel are ever mentioned of again in successive Star Wars movies, it's a pretty forgone conclusion to their fate, I'd argue this renders the drama rather inert.

I'm avoiding spoilers but all new characters in Rogue One could be written to live or die.

Being a different set of Rebels on a separate mission in a different story, whether they lived or died, they would never need mentioning again in 4, 5 & 6 since they're background characters, but if they could possibly pop-up in Episode 7, 8, 9 or other spin-offs, it still wouldn't be amiss.

It's more problematic for other Jedi to appear since Obi-Wan is supposed to be the last.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 December, 2016, 08:16:13 PM
It's more problematic for other Jedi to appear since Obi-Wan is supposed to be the last.

The last, in three years' time. Assuming you actually believe a word out of his or Yoda's mouths, the big fibbers.

Rebels, with its other Jedi hopeful born on the very same day, almost recasts Luke as one possible answer to a prophecy, rather than (with Leia) the sole remaining choice, and in the years depicted in that show there are at least two other former Padawans running about battling their opposite numbers: conceivably there's a five year span to play with before all the other Jedi or potential Jedi leave the board.

JOE SOAP

Definitely - Rebels can legitimately count as taking place during the last years of the Jedi purge. It does mean those potential Jedi must die before a certain time - not that it necessarily kills the drama of how and why that happens - but anyone else is fair game for an undisclosed fate. And not everyone who wields a saber and the Force is necessarily a Jedi.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 December, 2016, 09:48:22 PM
And not everyone who wields a saber and the Force is necessarily a Jedi.

No indeed. How else could Ezra have survived long enough to become Supreme Leader?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 December, 2016, 01:15:11 AM
How else could Ezra have survived long enough to become Supreme Leader?

Blue Milk?

Tiplodocus

I thought that was great. Eventually.

Genuinely didn't have a problem knowing the outcome in terms of how it leads into Star Wars ("Oooh, they get the plans") but given you don't know who will live or die, I think it does a grand job. 

There are some great new very Star Wars-y locations (Jeddha City is teeming with life) and the ones that look earthlike in the trailer open up nicely to be less so.

Gorgeous to look at (and not just the scenery; the first AT-AT reveal is masterfully done) and some great performances; the characters aren't fully formed but are sketched well enough to take them out of being one dimensional. 

I'll give Giaiccino a pas son the music until I see it again because I've complained before that there was no good music in one of his films (Star Trek) only to be blown away and had to type "What was I thinking" on the second viewing.

A bit too fan-wanky in places and the first half seems to be full of badly delivered character exposition but fuck me, what a final third!

I can not wait to see it again!

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 December, 2016, 08:51:36 AM
I thought that was great. Eventually.

A bit too fan-wanky in places and the first half seems to be full of badly delivered character exposition but fuck me, what a final third!

I can not wait to see it again!

Exactly what I thought! Saw it in 2-D on my own but taking my Son next week during the holiday break and we'll see it again in 3-D.