Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 11 November, 2016, 06:39:57 AM
Nope. Without any innuendo intended, he has a big helmet.

Dark too.

That's the best trailer yet, some lovely little bits. Still struggling with Jyn's delivery, and wondering why they seem to be hiding the new alien characters, but the rest I like.

TordelBack

Cor, the Korean version is even better! I hadn't realised that the Maldives planet assault was [spoiler]actually going to be a full-on fleet battle - presumably that very first victory from the opening crawl[/spoiler]! And is that a [spoiler]gateway ]through a planetary shield[/spoiler] I spy!  Bloody arsom. Expectation-limiter failure imminent! Hope approaching critical level! Chances of crushing disappointment rising!

edgeworthy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 November, 2016, 08:36:30 PM
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story International Trailer

Given how much of ANH they recycled in TFA does anyone want to guess how likely it is that Vader will be repeating the same dialogue ... The bit in the trailer where Orson Krennic starts going on about stupendous his new Invincible weapon is,
[spoiler]You know the line that begins "Do not be too proud ..."[/spoiler]
I'd suggest betting on it but seems inevitable.

Goaty

TordelBack

That's a lot of facial hair.  Goddamn hipster rebels.

Krakajac

Was stuck in a Kuala Lumpur hotel in recent days - and the best viewing on TV was Attack Of The Clones.  Yes, it's still a shocker.

One thing I had forgotten from first viewing it back in the day - the Geonosian Insect fellas are shown to be directly involved in the planning phase of the original Death Star.  Towards the end of the movie, the CEO of Geonosis Inc. gives the plans for the Death Star to Count Dooku for safe-keeping.

I'm assuming this will be conveniently overlooked or ret-conned in Rogue One?

The Force was then brought into balance by watching Scott Pilgrim v The World.

Goaty

So you hadn't see the end of Episode 3 when they built Death Star?

Krakajac

True - the end of ROTS does show the DS being constructed.  I'm just keen to see if R1 makes any reference to the Geonosians being involved - or whether they'll ignore what occurred in AOTC.

Krakajac

Interestingly, I always thought that the scene at the end Of ROTS (Emperor, Tarkin and Vader overlooking the construction of the DS) as being more representative of the future (i.e.: many years down the track).

Watching it on YouTube however...it seems to be occurring pretty much at the same time as other events in ROTS.  It even shows Vader et al standing on the bridge of an older Clone Wars style destroyer (Tarkin looks noticeably younger).  They then cut to Leia being dropped off on Alderaan and Luke getting the same treatment on Tatooine.  In that order.

Also hadn't noticed before - during the DS construction scene in ROTS - it shows a couple of prototype TIE fighters flying towards the screen - and they seem to have a similar design to Maul's fighter from TPM (with a pronounced snout at the front).  Interesting what you see when you watch something closely!

Assuming the DS is fully operational in ANH - it took what...maybe 20 years to build? (Luke is a baby at the end of ROTS - and then destroys the DS when he's a similar age...19 or 20?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Krakajac on 15 November, 2016, 01:47:22 PM
Watching it on YouTube however...it seems to be occurring pretty much at the same time as other events in ROTS.

Time makes no sense whatsoever in RotS, and I'd suggest that trying to force into some sort of coherent chronology is probably a wasted effort!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Krakajac

Well, to be fair, time makes no sense in most of the SW movies.

Like the Sherlockians - half the fun is 'playing the game'.  :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 November, 2016, 02:01:41 PM
Watching it on YouTube however...it seems to be occurring pretty much at the same time as other events in ROTS.

Time makes no sense whatsoever in RotS, and I'd suggest that trying to force into some sort of coherent chronology is probably a wasted effort!

The official chronology has it that Revenge of the Sith takes place in its entirety over three days, from Palpatine's rescue to Obi-Wan arriving on Tatooine.  This is obviously complete nonsense, like everything else in the last 20 minutes of RotS, so as Jim says, make up your own mind. 

Link Prime

(Tarkin looks noticeably younger). 

Played by the utterly, utterly brilliant Wayne Pygram (Scorpius from that other Muppet Show spin-off, Farscape).

It seems the fools haven't brought him back for Rogue One.

Krakajac

Wasn't trying to force anything into a chronology and well aware of how time plays tricks in SW - hence my use of the term 'pretty much' rather than being definite.  Sorry if it came off that way - just describing what was on screen.

Simply pointing out that my hazy middle-aged recollection of that specific scene in ROTS is different to how it plays out in the actual movie.  I was sure that the scene involved ANH class Star Destroyers - implying that it was a flash-forward.  A second viewing tonight shows I was completely mistaken.

Getting back to my original post - will the Geonosians get a mention in R1?  ;)

EDIT - and there you go - I didn't know Tarkin was portrayed by an actor - thought it was CGI to be honest.

Frank

D'YA THINK A PRINCESS AND A GUY LIKE ME ...

This makes me happy, although I'm annoyed modern birth control methods robbed us of the genetic bounty that would have been the product of union between Ford and Fisher. Turns out the Catholics have a point after all.

Carrie would still have her original septum if she'd gone home every night to Indiana Jones making furniture with his shirt off, and I'm pretty sure their kids would have turned out nicer than Adam Driver.