Main Menu

AUGUST ART COMP - DREDD'S DEAD, BABY, DREDD'S DEAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 August, 2016, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

"Trust we"

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

blackmocco

Quote from: James Dilworth on 14 August, 2016, 06:16:00 PM
Pete.  That previous entry of yours?  Chopper?

That made me incredibly angry.  I mean really properly angry.

That comp had some truly brilliant entries, of all skill levels, and they had to sit alongside your toilet graffiti.

I kept my mouth shut.  Mostly because I just couldn't be bothered getting into an endless argument with people on the internet.

CFM called you out on it and hey, guess what?  People on the forum turned on him.  So much so that he quit the comp.

And here we are, once again, with another "this ain't shit" style post.

How often on this forum has an artist spoken at length about what this line of work takes out of you.  The long hours, the psychological cost, the constant doubts and the rare moments of joy.  People on this forum, myself included, are literally dedicating their lives to this pursuit.

I don't expect everyone to like what I do.  I certainly don't expect anyone to kiss my ass.  But for goodness sake can you just show the slightest bit of respect for the effort it takes?

And now for a quick critique of your entry. 

No.  It isn't good enough.  DO BETTER!

Here's £10. Go buy a clue. Ridiculous.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Pete Wells

Yes, but this isn't a professional or aspiring artists only competition is it? It's open to all. Good art WILL get noticed and I'm sure Tharg is intelligent enough to know the difference between who is taking it seriously and who isn't. However, I believe there are submission guidelines for those who seriously want to make it, I don't think the art competition is mentioned in them...

Oh, and please spare me the angst of the struggling artist too. I appreciate how difficult is to make it and have never said, or implied, any other. I will say again, I would never knock anyone's art or effort. I was not disparaging at all about anyone's work or effort other than my own, I'm sorry if this offends you.

Thanks for the critique by the way, I'll bear it in mind. Holy heck though, you're not half building the tension for your entry this month, it's going to have to be stellar!

M.I.K.

Quote from: James Dilworth on 14 August, 2016, 06:16:00 PM
Pete.  That previous entry of yours?  Chopper?

That made me incredibly angry.  I mean really properly angry.

...and it seems to me that's actually what you're still angry about. His previous entry was off-topic and potentially liable to cause offense and was disallowed, which most folk on here were fine with. His current entry is neither of those things. Calm doon.

Colin YNWA

Bloomin' heck this has all got a bit silly... actually I can't be bothered, there's brilliant gymnastics to watch on the telly.

Hugs to Pete, you can turn me into a gooey mess anytime sir. I continue to salute you.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

James Dilworth

Sorry folks but I just can't abide an attitude that spits on hard work.

I just can't.

Peace.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Dilworth on 14 August, 2016, 08:58:46 PM
Sorry folks but I just can't abide an attitude that spits on hard work.

James I'm sorry but it doesn't, it just doesn't. You might feel it does and there's nothing I can do to change that, but I would think most people would see it for what it is. Its someone engaging with the forum in a fun and entertaining way. Whether someone is entertained by it is entirely up to them and there is no judgement either way. Pete is continuing finding a ways to show people that the art comp and everything else on the board, is open to all and all about having a good time.

Pete's warmth wit and humour are a pillar of what this board means to me and I'm sorry that you don't see that. That's cool, that's for you, but can I just say I very nearly placed with a picture of my hand coloured in with some action figure props stuck onto it. The art comp has always, always been about everyone who wants to take part doing so. That some people happen to produce some truly wonderful pieces of 'proper' art isn't in anyway shape or form deminished by the work of anyone else.

Large48

I blame Greggs for Pete having to have a shit in the first place..........
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

CrazyFoxMachine

Goaty

I like Pete Wells entry as find it humour.

Is it not to enter my first ever post as nearly finish it.

Jake Lynch

@ArtDroid_Lynch