Main Menu

The Great Unreprinted list

Started by AlexF, 10 August, 2016, 08:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 August, 2016, 09:08:11 AM

In that last thread, somebody said that Wolfie Smith had been reprinted in one of the more obscure Quality reprints. I can't confirm but I'd be very surprised if it was more than one of the stories.

Yeah, it was the '666 Mark of the Beast' series.
I stopped collecting after the first few issues (mainly due to the fact Easons stopped selling it if I recall), so cannot verify if all of Wolfie Smith was reprinted or not.

Very hard to find a series synopsis online, but after some snooping I was surprised to discover that this series also reprinted some Scream material in later issues.

TordelBack

Great idea for a thread, please keep refining until we have a definitive answer!

I don't have much to offer (in this matter, as in life), but perhaps it would be good to eventually distinguish between reprint in TPB/MegaCollection format and Best of, Extremes and even Meg Floppies. The soft formats, while widely available, just aren't the same as something with that most precious piece of comics real estate, the spine.  Or to be more serious, there are perhaps two grades of aspiration: getting material back into print at all (the main thrust of this thread, I presume); and getting material onto bookshelves (although the hardback lobby can fend for itself).

And just to keep everyone focused on what interests me and is this of the greatest importance: for my money the most egregious holes in the Mighty One's opus are Sinister Dexter, Red Seas - one covered in spotty and inconsistent manner, the other mostly only available in digital - and Luke Kirby, for reasons much discussed.

AlexF

I agree, the spine's the thing! But given how niche a lot of 2000AD strips are, even within our forum world, I'm happy to get reprints that mean I can pick up and read through a whole series in one (or at most two) floppies. The format just doesn't suit those strips that go on for too long across multiple copies. Anyone remember when the Mean Arean killed off the Extreme Edition by taking up three whole issues? On the other hand, the complete, albeit spineless, Revere is an object of joy in itself.

Veyr good to know that Tharg has upgraded his droid reward policies! It'd have been shocking if he hadn't, frankly.

Spaceghost

If anyone at Rebellion feels like making me happy, I'd really like a Tales From the Black Museum collection please.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

James Stacey

Quote from: Spaceghost on 10 August, 2016, 12:34:43 PM
If anyone at Rebellion feels like making me happy, I'd really like a Tales From the Black Museum collection please.
If it doesn't run in the Mega Collection, it really should.

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 August, 2016, 12:09:18 PM
Great idea for a thread, please keep refining until we have a definitive answer!

I don't have much to offer (in this matter, as in life), but perhaps it would be good to eventually distinguish between reprint in TPB/MegaCollection format and Best of, Extremes and even Meg Floppies. The soft formats, while widely available, just aren't the same as something with that most precious piece of comics real estate, the spine.  Or to be more serious, there are perhaps two grades of aspiration: getting material back into print at all (the main thrust of this thread, I presume); and getting material onto bookshelves (although the hardback lobby can fend for itself).
I beg to differ - some material has only been reprinted by the inappropriately-named Quality Comics - anything, even Best of 2000AD Monthly, with the same type of paper as the weekly at the time, is better than that.

Link Prime

Quote from: AlexF on 10 August, 2016, 08:46:53 AM

Rogue Trooper Fr1day-style. 'The War Machine' has been reprinted a bunch of times. It's great. Virtually none of the follow-up series, which ran intermittently from Progs 712-1012, and were mostly a bit rubbish, have been re-run. (There's some great art from Henry Flint and Greg Staples in there, mind)

Fleetway / Quality reprinted all of the Michael Fleisher material in Rogue Trooper: The Final Warrior;
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/rogue-trooper-the-final-warrior/4050-51120/

It was one of their better reprint series if I recall- card stock covers, and not relying on (very) poor re-colouring.
The final issue included a reprint of that gorgeously painted Kev Walker one-off from the '92 Yearbook.

The Steve White (and Mark Millar) era Friday / Rogue Trooper / Venus Bluegenes stories have never been reprinted.
As mentioned, some great artwork by Flint, Staples and 'whatever happened to' Steve Tappin.

GordonR

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 August, 2016, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 10 August, 2016, 08:46:53 AM

Rogue Trooper Fr1day-style. 'The War Machine' has been reprinted a bunch of times. It's great. Virtually none of the follow-up series, which ran intermittently from Progs 712-1012, and were mostly a bit rubbish, have been re-run. (There's some great art from Henry Flint and Greg Staples in there, mind)

Fleetway / Quality reprinted all of the Michael Fleisher material in Rogue Trooper: The Final Warrior;
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/rogue-trooper-the-final-warrior/4050-51120/

It was one of their better reprint series if I recall- card stock covers, and not relying on (very) poor re-colouring.
The final issue included a reprint of that gorgeously painted Kev Walker one-off from the '92 Yearbook.

The Steve White (and Mark Millar) era Friday / Rogue Trooper / Venus Bluegenes stories have never been reprinted.
As mentioned, some great artwork by Flint, Staples and 'whatever happened to' Steve Tappin.

Steve's now Art Director at - I kid you not - the London studio of Industrial Light & Magic, and has worked on the vfx of many, many big movies.

The lad done well for himself...

Link Prime

Quote from: GordonR on 10 August, 2016, 01:32:27 PM

Steve's now Art Director at - I kid you not - the London studio of Industrial Light & Magic, and has worked on the vfx of many, many big movies.

The lad done well for himself...
[/quote]

Fair play to him.

After some cursory further Googling I've discovered that Fleetway / Quality have reprinted more than my wildest nightmares could have imagined:

Wireheads (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=163601) Two new covers?
Trash (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=260351)
Red Razors (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=268621) Never seen two of those covers before.
Junker (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=21743453) One for Zenarcade to spend hours looking for on Ebay...
Below Zero (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=159901)
Mark Millar's Robo-Hunter (https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=159901)

None of that stuff was on sale in my local newsagent or comic shop that I can recall- must be quite obscure.

Fungus

Hm, I didn't mind Junker but that could be more to do with the art and the strip's relative quality in the prog at the time.

Wireheads made my brain hurt and I flipped past it. That's extremely rare.

Dark Jimbo

Great idea for a thread.

In all honesty though, you can see why the bulk of this stuff remains unreprinted. It just isn't much good, by and large.
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

Has Ant Wars ever had a re-run? It might be rubbish, but I've always been curious enough to give it a go...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 10 August, 2016, 03:46:05 PM
Has Ant Wars ever had a re-run? It might be rubbish, but I've always been curious enough to give it a go...

One of the early Extreme Editions. Number 4, maybe?
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 August, 2016, 03:46:56 PM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 10 August, 2016, 03:46:05 PM

One of the early Extreme Editions. Number 4, maybe?

Ah okay, I missed those. Thanks though :)