Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 August, 2018, 09:26:49 AM
Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 09:23:27 AM
Just wanted to clarify as to whether I was still okay to offer an opinion in specific discussion threads on the various things that I happen across in life......  ;)

After your "paedophile Lando" remark, I think you suggesting anyone might be overreacting on this subject is a bit rich. How many times have you said your final word on this thread now?

Eesh.

That Lando comment was an exaggeration Jim used to illustrate the notion that Disney were just including original characters only to subsequently tarnish their image.

Why on earth did that just get thrown up when discussing whether people are okay to express their opinions on a discussion thread?

There is a big difference between expressing opinions on whether you like a film or not and expressing comments on others freedom to offer opinion.

And I didn't imply over reaction, was clarifying who it was directed at as I was genuinely unsure.

Jim_Campbell

I'm pointing out that when your, and others', incessant carping drives a poster as moderate and polite as Tordelback to an exclamation like that, an appropriate response might be to take a look at how many 'final says' you've had on this thread rather than make a snide remark about whether you were "still okay to offer an opinion."

I would respectfully suggest that anything you have to offer on the subject of why you don't like TLJ is largely redundant and has been so for some time. We KNOW you didn't like it. We know WHY you didn't like it.

It's not strictly necessary for you to repeat that every single time someone says they like the movie... I think we can all infer "Well, SIP wouldn't agree with that" whenever we see someone saying they liked TLJ by now.

Obviously, it's a free forum and if you want to append yet another 'TLJ: worst movie EVAH' post to a thread every time the subject comes up, you go right ahead. I'm just not sure what you think you're adding, and inviting you to have a little think about it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Someone posted a link to a red letter media video, I said it was entertaining even if you didn't agree with their opinion......that's the sum total of my involvement since yesterday. I'm not really guilty of carping on or over reacting there am I?

I'm also no more guilty of stating "I didn't like it" than the same people reposting the opinion multiple times that "I liked it", so not sure why you are singling me out in that regard.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 10:05:30 AM
I'm also no more guilty of stating "I didn't like it" than the same people reposting the opinion multiple times that "I liked it", so not sure why you are singling me out in that regard.

I'm talking to you because you answered. Notice I said "your, and others'..." I'm not singling you out, I'm replying to you. I also don't think it's remotely true that there any posters who liked the film who have posted anything like as many times as you on this thread. If you really want me to go away and count the posts, I will, but I'm busy, so you'll have to wait.

I'm also done here. I've said my piece — if you don't think aggravating a poster like TB to the point you plainly have doesn't require any pause to consider your behaviour (I hadn't realised that 'not posting since yesterday' constituted restraint, BTW) then fair enough. That's all I was asking.

Again: this is a non-specific 'you' — I'm not saying that TB was directing his post at you but you do seem to have more to say on this most other posters and have therefore been a major contributor.

And, again: I'm just inviting you to have a think about that.

Tiplodocus

Now I don't know who needs most hugs.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 August, 2018, 06:39:44 AMI really enjoy RLM,  it's their place as the open-source repository for braying-prick routines that depresses me

You're very lucky, as I only ever seem to encounter people with CinemaSins videos committed to memory.

SIP

I am thinking about it. And i'm at a loss.

I'm not sure how me talking about star wars on this thread has "aggravated" anyone? When did that happen? We've all been talking about a film.......nothing has ever been personal that I have observed. No animosity, malice or ill will has been directed at anyone.

I thought we'd had some interesting discussions..... am I supposed to be aggravated by the overwhelming positive comments about Last Jedi in this thread?

I didnt believe that I had been the dominant poster in the "dont like versus like" contest that I didn't even realise we were all having, and you made me curious, so I did a quick count of TB's (only because you are another big contributor to the thread and enjoyed the film sir) and my posts. The official tally (for science!) by the way is:

TB: 162 posts
Me: 105 posts
(Could be out by 1 or 2 either way.....it was done at speed).

I'll keep out of the thread, I don't need the needless aggro.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 11:05:35 AM

Turns out when I'm the very model of reasonableness, I still get accused of causing aggro. Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 August, 2018, 10:31:52 AM
Now I don't know who needs most hugs.

It's me.  Always me. The specialer the better.

Bit of an atonal oopsie on my part there,  I was being just a tad overdramatic for (failed) comedy effect,  and certainly wasn't addressing anyone here. I do however genuinely recoil with dread at the prospect of having this video plopped down in front of me as the last word on TLJ for the next n years, as the previous (genuinely hilarious) prequel Plinketts have been since the day they were uploaded. 

If I've learned one thing from being a Phantom Menace fan,  it's that there's no point having an argument with someone who has had the Truth revealed to them with a side order of pizza rolls and a print-your-own Masters in Film Studies diploma from Stoklasa University.

So despite feeling providing an alternative TLJ opinion is a damn fool idealistic crusade that's actually worth pursuing, I think with Plinkett back on the field my days of Somebody on the Internet Is Wrong on this topic are officially over.

As to Cinema Sins, I can't hear you,  it's all just static.

Hawkmumbler

CinemaSins need an iron bar taking to their CinemaShins.

The biggest crime against objective and enthusiastic cinema critiquing to ever blight this hell hole we call the internet.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 August, 2018, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 11:05:35 AM

Turns out when I'm the very model of reasonableness, I still get accused of causing aggro. Honestly, I don't know why I bother.

"If you don't think aggravating a poster like TB to the point you plainly have doesn't require any pause to consider your behaviour then fair enough"

Jim, levelling accusatory comments like the above at someone who has made absolutely no personal attacks and has only voiced his opinion on a film, on an appropriate and entirely relevant film discussion thread, is anything but reasonable behaviour.

Can I be allowed to bow out now without anyone making comments inviting further defence?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 11:24:54 AM
Jim, levelling accusatory comments like the above at someone who has made absolutely no personal attacks and has only voiced his opinion on a film, on an appropriate and entirely relevant film discussion thread, is anything but reasonable behaviour.

I didn't suggest for one moment that you'd made a personal attack on anyone. Not for one moment. I've explained myself calmly and clearly — you disagree, and that's fine. As I said.

I'll thank you not to add accusations of things I didn't do into the discussion, if we're trading requests for reasonable behaviour.

SIP

I just posted the quote Jim!

You asserted that I had aggravated TB by my behaviour in this thread didn't you? Have I misread that in some way?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 29 August, 2018, 11:33:34 AM
You asserted that I had aggravated TB by my behaviour in this thread didn't you?

Go back and read it again. Slowly. I even highlighted "you and others'" in a follow-up post. I can't have been clearer that I was talking about a general section of posts/posters and that I was replying to you because you replied not because I was 'singling you out'.

I'm literally re-typing words that I posted in this thread within the last couple of hours, Si. If you want to get your knickers in a bunch about something I did say, at least have the decency to read what I said properly.

So. To prevent further thread derail: if you felt that I was making a personal attack on you even though I specifically said I wasn't making a personal attack on you, I'm sorry. I'm not arguing about this. If you felt that I was attacking you, I'm sorry.

SIP

Arent you arguing semantics Jim?

Let me rephrase then, you asserted that I, along with others, had aggravated TB by posting our opinions on a film.

That's still you making an accusatory comment that I aggravated TB by my actions. It's a film discussion thread, that is all that has transpired isn't it?