Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

Read Jaegir, I had the softcover but it was nice to see the additional stories which got even darker.  Reading Jaegir and some of the later Rogue Trooper that was done after the original, when they tried to make the world grittier, I think it's a shame that the 86ers didn't last longer as I found that to be an enjoyable read.

When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Monarch

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 01 June, 2021, 04:14:13 PM
grey areas pretty good

I'd say Grey Area moves from good to astonishing with the God-Stars / Resting Bitch Face storyline.

Max Headroom

I have just calculated that the first volume of 'Grey Area' contains 190 pages of story which leaves 235 pages of story for volume 2. Could this be just a little too much for a single volume or have we had editions this large in the past? I would hate for any of the material to be omitted.

IndigoPrime

The biggest I think we've had in this partwork is Lobster Random. Not sure how many pages that has, mind.

sintec

We've definitely had a few volumes bigger than 235. Lobster Random, The Life And Death Of Johnny Alpha and Ampney Crucis Investigates... were all around 250ish.

I'll jump on my other computer in a bit where I've got the exact numbers.

sintec

We've had a total of 9 vols with 235+ pages of story in the UC.

• Traitor To His Kind - 238
  • The Life And Death Of Johnny Alpha - 252
  • Robo-Hunter: Volume 1 - 240
  • Durham Red - 238
  • Invasion - 236
  • Ampney Crucis Investigates... - 250
  • Greysuit - 252
  • Flesh - 236
  • Lobster Random - 240

Graph shows the pages of story in each volume from the two Hachette Collections. Up to date with my last delivery (Savage and Jaegir).

Jade Falcon

Can I ask anyone's opinions of Jaegir.  The only complaint I have with the book is the one I had with the softcover and that is the fact that since its an ongoing strip according to the afterword, that it seems to be on a form of cliffhanger.  I'm not sure what to think of Jaegirs attitude shift, she wasn't sympathetic to the Southers before but didn't seem to have the fanaticism that was endemic in old Rogue Trooper.

Good to see Kovert again, noticed the increase in rank.  It would have been nice to have a reference somewhere to the War Marshal from Realpolitik somewhere (I can't remember his name).
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Corinthian

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 02 June, 2021, 09:39:49 PMI'm not sure what to think of Jaegirs attitude shift, she wasn't sympathetic to the Southers before but didn't seem to have the fanaticism that was endemic in old Rogue Trooper.

She did [spoiler]spend the entire most recent story being tortured by them[/spoiler].

In the original progs I had thought this would be leading up to a series conclusion but from Rennie's comments in the afterword there's a lot more to come.

The Corinthian

I'm also intrigued about the [spoiler]radical departure[/spoiler] he promises for the strip [spoiler]post-'The Path of Kali'[/spoiler].

My best guess: Jaegir [spoiler]moves to Nu Torquay and opens a hotel, with hilarious consequences[/spoiler].

Barrington Boots

I finished my hardback set of Dante and cherry picked a bunch of others at the same time. Savage is just superb - I'm a real mark for Patrick Goddard's art at the best of times and I feel like he is really on top of his game. The series gets weaker once the Volgans are out of England and the dialogue does get extremely clunky in places in the latter volumes (the videogame guy in Rise Like Lions is especially bad) but overall it's so good.. of all the strips Mills could write an end to I'd choose this one. Flesh on the other hand is pretty dire. I never read the early part of the reboot with James Mckay and his art seems a lot better there than it was on Badlanders and it's the main attraction for me there.

The books themselves though are lovely bits of work, and I'm tempted to upgrade a lot of my softbacks into these. I'd go nuts for Armoured Gideon in this format.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sintec

We've had vols end on cliffhangers before, Ampney Crucis for example. There are going to be more to come too as things like Grey Area are still ongoing and Brass sun was left unfinished. It's the nature of this kind of collection that it can only ever be a snapshot of what's available at the time.

I really enjoyed the Jaegir volume. My intro the character in the prog had been Bonegrinder which was an odd start point as it's seems like that's a major pivot point. It all makes much more sense within the larger continuity.

IndigoPrime

Armoured Gideon is almost the only thing left on my wish list. I'd love to see it. It's such a fun strip and the robot design is fantastic.

Hackenbush

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 June, 2021, 06:51:16 PM
Armoured Gideon is almost the only thing left on my wish list. I'd love to see it. It's such a fun strip and the robot design is fantastic.

Well although my finances say "please no", I would love the continuation (or an extra continuation to say 150 volumes) to bring in some gaps from the Mega Collection
Another volume of Lawless
More artist themed dredd volumes:
Ron Smith (pirates of the black atlantic, question of judgment etc etc)
Peter Doherty
Chris Weston - early dredds + canon fodder ?
Enceladus (unless we get that in the Small house volume)

And some more collections of short but memorable strips like tribal memories and the dead

Go on Tharg give us an "attrocities of Mark Millar" volume so I can have Silo and Maniac 5 in hardcover (no need for his Robo hunter though!)

And yes please Armoured Gideon

We just have to wait and see what fits into the 140