Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: CalHab on 13 May, 2017, 09:16:19 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 May, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
Almeria seems to be the nearest desert/western place outside the UK. The actor who plays Wulf in our thing is shooting over there at the moment.

If they must shoot in the UK, then it's basically quarries + CG to extend it.

Where Alex Cox shot "Straight to Hell" with a cast including Shane MacGowan, inspiring the wonderful Pogues song "Fiesta".

That movie is pretty cool! And his classic Repo Man is one of my top favs. Get him to direct an episode of Judge Dredd maybe.  :)

dweezil2

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 13 May, 2017, 09:17:21 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 13 May, 2017, 09:16:19 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 May, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
Almeria seems to be the nearest desert/western place outside the UK. The actor who plays Wulf in our thing is shooting over there at the moment.

If they must shoot in the UK, then it's basically quarries + CG to extend it.

Where Alex Cox shot "Straight to Hell" with a cast including Shane MacGowan, inspiring the wonderful Pogues song "Fiesta".

That movie is pretty cool! And his classic Repo Man is one of my top favs. Get him to direct an episode of Judge Dredd maybe.  :)

Coincidently, I was watching Sid And Nancy the other night.
Love Gary Oldman's performance in it!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

PsychoGoatee

Great movie! Gary Oldman should play a one-off villain in the series at some point. Or, going the other direction, he could play Max Normal.  :D

CalHab

Alex Cox is a legend, for Moviedrome as well as his films. He seems to have fallen out with Hollywood quite spectacularly, which is a shame for us. I saw him do a talk a few years ago and I think he is now teaching film and doing some micro-budget features.

Richard

What a great debate! And no one has called anyone a Nazi or a (banned word warning) yet! I don't recognise the Internet anymore!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 13 May, 2017, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 May, 2017, 02:07:38 AM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:21:04 PM
I couldn't think of anything worse than comics or films produced to appease the vocal fans.

Tell that to the makers of that awful Thunderbirds film (who ignored the fans and made Spy Kids instead)

Tell that to George Lucas who followed his own nose and produced the medicocre prequels aimed at 5 year olds instead of making something more like Empire Strikes Back which is a fan favourite.   

And of course Dredd was such a success in the cinema's wasn't it. :(   Nobody's saying that everything the fans say has to be taken into consideration or done or is always right........but ignore the fans at your peril.    Sometimes fans do make some good points believe it or not and everyone in this thread is a fan.

Thunderbird film was not faithful to the source material. It decided to do something different and failed as a result. It was not rubbish because it didn't listen to fans, it was rubbish because it wasn't thunderbirds.

I'm not a Star Wars prequel hater, so can't get on board with the Lucas bashing. Force Awakens was very much an exercise in fan appeasement and there has been a fair amount of criticism and backlash against it for that very reason. One of the prequels at least is a great star wars film (imo) and surpasses force awakens or the turgid Rogue One. I have nothing but respect for Lucas wanting to make the films that he actually wanted to rather than just churning out "more of the same". I think it's a shame that he isn't more involved in the Disney efforts.

Again, I found Dredd captured the spirit of Judge Dredd perfectly and it certainly did not fail for nonsense like "the bike didn't look right", when 99% of the prospective audience wouldn't have the first clue what Dredd, his bike or his city would look like in the first place.

If we have a television series because of the growing cult of Dredd 2012, then this show would be ill advised to veer too far from that or risk alienating the broader fan base of that film. Why jeopardise a hard earned ready-audience?  It just seems like a no brained to me.

As soon as Thunderbirds fans found out about what they were doing they were vocal about it and the studios ignored them and Gerry Anderson.   As for Force Awakens well fans were asking for a good movie.......not a remake of A New Hope (which Force Awakens was to a large extent) and they've been vocal about that ever since too.   

On the other hand Rogue One (which I'm surprised you found turgid) was very well received by critics and fans alike.   And pleasing the fans was one of the definite aims of Rogue One.       

And you say --- nonsense like "the bike didn't look right", when 99% of the prospective audience wouldn't have the first clue what Dredd, his bike or his city would look like in the first place.

A big chunk of the prospective audience are Judge Dredd fans and they most certainly will have a clue.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2017, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT

Tell that to George Lucas who followed his own nose and produced the medicocre prequels aimed at 5 year olds instead of making something more like Empire Strikes Back which is a fan favourite.   

I'm not a Star Wars prequel hater, so can't get on board with the Lucas bashing. Force Awakens was very much an exercise in fan appeasement and there has been a fair amount of criticism and backlash against it for that very reason. One of the prequels at least is a great star wars film (imo) and surpasses force awakens or the turgid Rogue One. I have nothing but respect for Lucas wanting to make the films that he actually wanted to rather than just churning out "more of the same". I think it's a shame that he isn't more involved in the Disney efforts.

Leaving aside that Empire Strikes Back had already been made and is still  available to watch for those that can't  get enough, the Lucas 'misstep' of the prequels took $2.5 billon worldwide, and that's just box-office, probably a drop in the overall ocean. He subsequently sold Lucasfilm for $4 billion. Like 'em or loathe 'em, the prequels were a success, but incidentally got progressively worse the more Lucas listened to the whining of so-called fans until he plainly couldn't give a monkey's by the end.

Fans are morons: if they were any judge of what they actually wanted and how to deliver it from a financial, technical and artistic standpoint they'd be making their own films themselves, instead of entitled rants on YouTube.

So are you a moron yourself then seeing as you're posting in a Dredd forum?   I don't agree with everything Star Wars fans say about the films (especially the whining about the Special Editions which improved some parts though made other parts worse) but many fans say the prequels became better as they went along as Lucas quite rightly dropped annoying things like Jar Jar Binks and did listen to the fans a bit. 

Revenge of the Sith is regarded by many as the best of the prequels and Lucas actually said he was making it for the fans.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Dash Decent on 13 May, 2017, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 May, 2017, 11:58:53 AM

with Kingsley aiming to be "well above" the £1m an hour budget a major TV show demands. "If everything goes according to plan, we're going to make one of the most expensive TV shows the UK has ever seen."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/may/11/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-set-to-dispense-tv-justice

I love that they're really thinking big with this one.  I hope it's a rip-roaring success.

As Malcolm McLaren says in The Great Rock & Roll Swindle, "Don't think in tens - think in hundreds!"

Let's hope so.   I don't think there's any other choice with this than to think big and they can't do this on the cheap.   I'd imagine the first few episodes would look more epic then they'd do some smaller in scope episodes.   A mixture of both.

That poster's a good start to me.

A.Cow

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 14 May, 2017, 01:55:48 AM
As soon as Thunderbirds fans found out about what they were doing they were vocal about it and the studios ignored them and Gerry Anderson.

To be fair on the producers, Gerry Anderson was only ever going to be useful as an endorsement rather than an advisor.  At that time it had been 18 years since his last successful TV series and he clearly didn't have a clue what modern audiences wanted -- he'd wasted 8 years of his life trying to foist Space Precinct on anybody who would have it (which, when finally picked up, flopped badly).

SIP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 14 May, 2017, 01:55:48 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 May, 2017, 02:07:38 AM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:21:04 PM
I couldn't think of anything worse than comics or films produced to appease the vocal fans.

Tell that to the makers of that awful Thunderbirds film (who ignored the fans and made Spy Kids instead)

And of course Dredd was such a success in the cinema's wasn't it. :(   Nobody's saying that everything the fans say has to be taken into consideration or done or is always right........but ignore the fans at your peril.    Sometimes fans do make some good points believe it or not and everyone in this thread is a fan.

Thunderbird film was not faithful to the source material. It decided to do something different and failed as a result. It was not rubbish because it didn't listen to fans, it was rubbish because it wasn't thunderbirds.

Again, I found Dredd captured the spirit of Judge Dredd perfectly and it certainly did not fail for nonsense like "the bike didn't look right", when 99% of the prospective audience wouldn't have the first clue what Dredd, his bike or his city would look like in the first place.

If we have a television series because of the growing cult of Dredd 2012, then this show would be ill advised to veer too far from that or risk alienating the broader fan base of that film. Why jeopardise a hard earned ready-audience?  It just seems like a no brained to me.

As soon as Thunderbirds fans found out about what they were doing they were vocal about it and the studios ignored them and Gerry Anderson.   As for Force Awakens well fans were asking for a good movie.......not a remake of A New Hope (which Force Awakens was to a large extent) and they've been vocal about that ever since too.   

On the other hand Rogue One (which I'm surprised you found turgid) was very well received by critics and fans alike.   And pleasing the fans was one of the definite aims of Rogue One.       

And you say --- nonsense like "the bike didn't look right", when 99% of the prospective audience wouldn't have the first clue what Dredd, his bike or his city would look like in the first place.

A big chunk of the prospective audience are Judge Dredd fans and they most certainly will have a clue.

ABCWARBOT, I'm sure I could be baited into this repetitive argument for page after page after page, but I've grown a little weary of going over the same ground. Think I've more than had my say now.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Fan appeasement = bad idea. Respect and acknowledgement of fanbase = good.

Creators should create and invent, not sure where we would get if the fans dictate what they should produce.

SIP

And it's incredibly naive to think a films audience are all fans of the character it features, I would be surprised if even 10% of the audience were well versed in Dredd.

sheridan

Goaty

Mmm... Edger Wright just post that on Instagram with picture of you-know-know and no word...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUE1Z5sF4T4/?taken-by=edgar_wright&hl=en

sheridan

Quote from: Goaty on 14 May, 2017, 04:34:36 PM
Mmm... Edger Wright just post that on Instagram with picture of you-know-know and no word...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUE1Z5sF4T4/?taken-by=edgar_wright&hl=en

I thought he was currently working on another property...

ZenArcade

So has Scojo got script credits for the series yet?  Just throwing it out there. Z  :-\
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead