Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Quote : ABCWARBOT:
"I still know a lot about Dredd and that the character is still pretty much the same as when he started"

If you follow the John Wagner continuity of Dredd, I would argue that the character has changed over the decades as he has grown old. His views have softened, such as his views on mutants, democracy, the judge system etc. 

Though we do seem to be moving away from these aspects of the character (to the strips detriment in my opinion) over the last year or two, perhaps a result of the decrease in Wagner scripts.

The doubts Dredd has with the system would not be well served in a movie as it would need a longer run time to do justice, but a TV series could use it effectively.

dweezil2

Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 09:39:08 AM
"I still know a lot about Dredd and that the character is still pretty much the same as when he started"

Isn't this the person who's only read a few stories since the 70's?

Fair to say they won't be consulted on the development of the show.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ZenArcade

As others keep saying, take it step by step: develop the background of the City, Judges etc.  The big themes can wait.
Overload, risks killing this off.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

The advantage we have is 40 years of stories. Hundreds of seeds could potentially be planted, some to grow, some to wither and some as red-herrings or Easter eggs to wrong-foot or titillate the fans. You could even have the whole Harlem Heroes storyline playing out strictly in the background, incidentally on holoscreens or vidzines or in citizens' conversations, for example.

We've got the depth, let's use it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

James Stacey

https://2000ad.com/post/1794

Jason Kingsley answers the Karl Urban question. It's not bad news.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 17 May, 2017, 09:12:18 AMDeath can work, since having out of nowhere crazy things happen is the status quo in the comics. I wouldn't put it near the beginning of the first season
That was my caveat too. Death works when you have something to compare him to. Shoving him in right at the start makes no sense. (I also liked the way he was introduced in the comic, like a bolt from the blue. I'm not sure you need any foreshadowing. Just drop him in one week and play.)

Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 09:39:08 AM
If you follow the John Wagner continuity of Dredd, I would argue that the character has changed over the decades as he has grown old. His views have softened, such as his views on mutants, democracy, the judge system etc.
What's the saying? Something like Judge Dredd changes like a glacier. From week to week, it's not obvious, but read a contemporary Dredd and it's a world away from the classic era, and especially from the Silver days. Dredd's gone from essentially being a yes-man for the system, to trying to reform it in his image of justice, to more recently recognising that changes might be coming (through the likes of America Jara). His stance on various issues, as SIP says, has very much softened. He's still a hard-arse for the most part, but I imagine if the Dredd of today somehow met his counterpart from 2100, he'd think him a bit of a dick.

QuoteThe doubts Dredd has with the system would not be well served in a movie as it would need a longer run time to do justice, but a TV series could use it effectively.
Doubts need a trigger, and a trigger only works when you have familiarity with the system. There's a sense of groundwork for that perhaps happening in the movie: Anderson in particular tries a more human approach. (There's also an accelerated take on the glacier, in Dredd's opinion of Anderson shifting as she proves her worth.)

It's interesting to think where this could all go if it sticks around for the long term. I just hope they manage to get it off the ground at all – lots of challenges and roadblocks ahead! 

Goaty

Richard

QuoteJason Kingsley answers the Karl Urban question.
I can't watch videos at work, what does he say?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Richard on 17 May, 2017, 01:40:24 PM

Basically that they really would like Karl Urban (and Olivia Thirlby) to return, and he's keen too, but it's too early to plan or confirm anything.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SIP

Quote from: Spaceghost on 17 May, 2017, 02:14:53 PM

Basically that they really would like Karl Urban (and Olivia Thirlby) to return, and he's keen too, but it's too early to plan or confirm anything.

There is hope! 😊

hazy efc

Quote from: Spaceghost on 17 May, 2017, 02:14:53 PM

But then brian Jenkins went on to say that this isn't going to be Dredd 2 which makes me think were getting new actors to play Dredd & Anderson and that's if Anderson shows up at all, but fingers crossed that Karl & Olivia reprise there rolls that'd be fantastic if they did.

IndigoPrime

Do they explicitly say it's not in the same reality, or just that it's not a sequel to the film?

Spaceghost

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2017, 02:33:17 PM
Do they explicitly say it's not in the same reality, or just that it's not a sequel to the film?

Explicitly not the same reality as the film.

They talk about wanting to take the best elements from the Stallone film (look of the city, wacky future elements) and the Urban film (gritty, hard) and create a hybrid.

Also discussed having a mix of screenwriters and actual 2000 AD script droids working on the storylines.

All sounds very exciting.

SIP

Quote from: Spaceghost on 17 May, 2017, 02:41:22 PM

They talk about wanting to take the best elements from the Stallone film (look of the city, wacky future elements) and the Urban film (gritty, hard) and create a hybrid.

Also discussed having a mix of screenwriters and actual 2000 AD script droids working on the storylines.

Thats really deflating news for me, as I am firmly in the camp of wanting to see any continuation of the 2012 film.

I guess this news now  officially kills that ever happening, so i guess I'll go into mourning now.

No more "Dredd" :-(

Spaceghost

Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 17 May, 2017, 02:41:22 PM

Thats really deflating news for me, as I am firmly in the camp of wanting to see any continuation of the 2012 film.

I guess this news now  officially kills that ever happening, so i guess I'll go into mourning now.

No more "Dredd" :-(

There's every chance we'll end up with something even better. Don't give up hope!