Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 May, 2017, 07:49:02 PM
Heavy Metal Kid 'Call-me-Burdis' goes on the rampage and stomps towards Pete Wells Block.

To be played Godzilla style by CF in a robot suit smashing the crap out of miniature buildings.

+++CALL-ME-BURDIS WILL NOT BEHAVE+++

Trapped in the 'Cellar Of Dredd' with only a 1995 movie action figure for company!

"It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again!!!!"   :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 May, 2017, 05:39:40 PM
As I'm typing, they've just spoken about having a massive budget in terms of Telly.

They've yet to get a budget. They need to presell it first.

ZenArcade

The Cellar of Dredd needs some potential expansion plans. Eh John?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 May, 2017, 10:02:24 PM
They've yet to get a budget.

Could maybe save a few quid hiring post-production editor Joseph J Soap.

JOE SOAP

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 17 May, 2017, 09:29:26 AM
I don't think they'll be any robots, mutants or aliens as they're expensive to make and this is a TV show. Budgets must limit the scale inevitably till it's judged a success. Still, that leaves plenty of storylines available to the creators and it's more than likely they have their own ideas since they'd hardly take on the expense of producing a TV series without some game plan in mind.

I'm more for making the show grounded in a future reality as possible so I'm not so bothered about aliens and certainly supernatural stuff (sorry Judge Death fans.....I think he's a bit naff)  but I think robots and futuristic technology are a must.   They can do some through cgi and others with practical effects.    They should be able to do stuff like that these days in a tv show.

Andy Lambert

If shows like Doctor Who can knock out creatures and robots on a regular basis, I'm sure the supposedly big budget of this new Judge Dredd series will manage it too.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 18 May, 2017, 01:38:12 AM
If shows like Doctor Who can knock out creatures and robots on a regular basis, I'm sure the supposedly big budget of this new Judge Dredd series will manage it too.

Definitely!    And there's been some great robots n stuff in the comics.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 03:24:01 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 May, 2017, 03:02:37 PM
Wait up SIP,  if they were or are actively thinking of taking on Urban and Thirlby then extremely strong elements of the 12 movie would have to pull through with that.  Z

I'll have to hope for the best, but using the best elements from 1995 Judge Dredd is not what I was hoping for, the Dredd 2012 tone and city were really exciting and had an amazing oppressive, city on the brink of chaos feel. The city in Judge Dredd 1995 plays more to the light hearted, comedic elements of Dredd which I have less interest in nowadays.

I'm sure it'll be great, but what I have always been excited for is the continuation of Dredd 2012, rather than a new continuity, lighter, Judge Dredd series.

So, not party time for me. But happy for those who wanted a different direction.

You can have the overcrowded, high tech look of the 1995 film with highways in the clouds, flying cars etc but still have the gritty feel of the Dredd city.  Some parts of the city can be wealthy and cleaner and other parts can be shiteholes like in Dredd.   Doesn't have to be lighter. 

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Spaceghost on 17 May, 2017, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2017, 02:33:17 PM
Do they explicitly say it's not in the same reality, or just that it's not a sequel to the film?

Explicitly not the same reality as the film.

They talk about wanting to take the best elements from the Stallone film (look of the city, wacky future elements) and the Urban film (gritty, hard) and create a hybrid.

Also discussed having a mix of screenwriters and actual 2000 AD script droids working on the storylines.

All sounds very exciting.

I think that sounds very promising and exciting too.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: A.Cow on 17 May, 2017, 04:06:50 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 17 May, 2017, 09:43:46 AM
Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 09:39:08 AM
Quote : ABCWARBOT:
"I still know a lot about Dredd and that the character is still pretty much the same as when he started"
Isn't this the person who's only read a few stories since the 70's?

That's inaccurate to the original poster and unfair: you don't need to have read many Batman or Spider-man comics in the last 30 years to have a good idea of what those characters are about.

Exactly and thanks for pointing that out.   Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough but I've bought the comic right up until very recently just not every week or month like I did in the 70s etc.   I dip into it every so often.   Same with Marvel.   I'll be buying it again very shortly too.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 May, 2017, 07:25:20 PM
The guys on the Megacast said they are listening to the fans so the campaign begins here:

For the love of Grud, ditch the dweeb!

I know some fans don't like Walter but they could have him in the show and drop the W bits.   He could just be called Walter the Robot.

And as well as Ro Busters I'd have Robohunter and his sidekick Boots in there too.   Again the potential for this show could be enormous with all the rich history of characters to delve into (even though Dredd should be the main character).

PsychoGoatee

Max Normal too please! Any recurring fun character is something they could play around with.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 18 May, 2017, 02:15:10 AM
Max Normal too please! Any recurring fun character is something they could play around with.

Definitely.