Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Smith on 19 May, 2017, 05:42:57 AM
Thing is...Judge Dredd is everything,its a police procedural,horror,political satire,drama...Just not all of those at the same time.The series could have a similar system.You could have a horror episode,then a political episode,then a Chopper episode(just examples).

Very true. And I like X-Files as an example, there's a show that was at it's core is very serious, but they throw in some well done comedy episodes and humor along the way as well. The audience can be willing to go along for different things when done well.

Richard

QuoteIn what way?
Well you're the one who wants Max and Walter.

I think Smith has the right idea.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

jacob g

Quote from: Smith on 19 May, 2017, 05:42:57 AM
Thing is...Judge Dredd is everything,its a police procedural,horror,political satire,drama...Just not all of those at the same time.The series could have a similar system.You could have a horror episode,then a political episode,then a Chopper episode(just examples).

And that's what I'm hoping for.
margaritas ante porcos

CYCLOPZ

Dash Decent

Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 May, 2017, 07:48:14 PM
tension between street judges and SJS (I miss that!)

As usual Pete, your mouth is full of pasties right.  I hope they walk the line between the Judges being protectors and heroes but also fascists.  Get the audience on the Judge's side, then show that the Judges are sometimes the bogey man.  And if the Judges are the bogey men, the SJS are the bogey men to the bogey men.

I can imagine having a repeated scene where we see darkness, followed by the sight of a room through the eyes of a man as he suddenly and blearily wakes up.  The first time around it's a criminal waking up as the Judges bust in.  The second time around it's the Judges busting in again, but confounding viewer expectations it turns out to be a crime blitz, giving that hint of the extreme power of the Judges.  The third time around it's the SJS grabbing a Judge. No one is safe, this can happen to anyone.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 May, 2017, 04:00:36 PM
Get the audience on the Judge's side, then show that the Judges are sometimes the bogey man.  And if the Judges are the bogey men, the SJS are the bogey men to the bogey men.

Anyone remember this other Wagner / Grant TV adaptaion?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395113/

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Richard on 18 May, 2017, 11:47:52 PMCertainly a story about human taxidermy could definitely work, because it wouldn't have to be zany. You could do it in a serious, dark and intelligent way, and in fact that is how it was done in the original comic story -- the Jacob Sardini stories only became comedies in the sequels. The original would adapt very well to the screen.

It would but part of its appeal would be lost were 'The Taxidermist' to be adapted early on. The problem is the dignified Jacob Sardini [spoiler]gets away with it[/spoiler], something I can't recall anyone else doing in the ten years 2000 AD had been going by then. Being faithful to that so soon into a TV series would undermine the Judges all-pervasive authoritarianism and rob the story of its quiet power (and some of its humour), whereas changing the ending would make Sardini just another victim of the City.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

sheridan

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 19 May, 2017, 09:25:11 PM
It would but part of its appeal would be lost were 'The Taxidermist' to be adapted early on. The problem is the dignified Jacob Sardini [spoiler]gets away with it[/spoiler], something I can't recall anyone else doing in the ten years 2000 AD had been going by then. Being faithful to that so soon into a TV series would undermine the Judges all-pervasive authoritarianism and rob the story of its quiet power (and some of its humour), whereas changing the ending would make Sardini just another victim of the City.

You've got me wondering about other characters who [spoiler]got away with it[/spoiler].  Arguments could be made for Satanus, Stan Lee, PJ Maybe...  Though of those, only Satanus [spoiler]completely escapes the law[/spoiler].

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 19 May, 2017, 10:28:08 PM
You've got me wondering about other characters who [spoiler]got away with it[/spoiler].

PJ spent two stints in pokey, lost his inheritance, [spoiler]lost his lover, lost his mayoral position and was (it appears) executed[/spoiler].  He may have got away with individual crimes, [spoiler]but he certainly didn't escape justice[/spoiler].

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 May, 2017, 10:34:31 PM
You've got me wondering about other characters who [spoiler]got away with it[/spoiler].

PJ spent two stints in pokey, lost his inheritance, [spoiler]lost his lover, lost his mayoral position and was (it appears) executed[/spoiler].  He may have got away with individual crimes, [spoiler]but he certainly didn't escape justice[/spoiler].

.....or did he .........😊

Richard

Rusty

According to Urban's IMDB, he doesn't seem to be appearing in anything significant beyond Thor Ragnarok, and any work he has done post that has already been wrapped up. Now could be a great time to get him on board. Olivia Thirlby seems to also be in a similar position. Her last film was a TV gig, so...

Eric Plumrose

You've got me wondering about other characters who [spoiler]got away with it[/spoiler].  Arguments could be made for Satanus, Stan Lee, PJ Maybe...  Though of those, only Satanus [spoiler]completely escapes the law[/spoiler].

I imagine a bull Tyrannosaur that's spent four decades in a radioactive desert prior to his encounter with Dredd probably wouldn't have any real comprehension of what a Judge is, less so recognize Dredd's assumed authority.

Stan Lee and PJ Maybe were both antagonists. They actively sought to defy the system whereas Sardini sought simply to save his neck from a lose-lose situation he found himself in through no fault of his own.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Rusty on 19 May, 2017, 11:41:35 PM
. . . Thirlby . . .

Tsk. When will people (Olivia included!) learn to spell her surname properly. It's Thrilby, Thargnabbit.