Main Menu

Best strips of 2017

Started by norton canes, 15 February, 2018, 12:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Last call for votes, I'll count up tomorrow.

Dan Banks

James Stacey

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 February, 2018, 01:21:05 PM
Grey Area, Brink, Kingdom and Scarlet Traces are up there imo.

For clarity
1) Grey Area
2) Brink
3) Kingdom

(HM) Scarlet Traces

Nic_Freeman

1) Deadworld
2) Brink
3) Absolom

Whilst I don't think we're in the 90's again it's rare Dredd wouldn't be in my top three. Something has gone badly wrong in MC1. Hoping things will pick up in 2018.

norton canes

The results are in - and I think it's fair to say we have a clear winner...

Brink51
The Fall of Deadworld 25
Hope ...for the Future 17
Absalom16
Kingdom14
Kingmaker9
Grey Area 7
Sinister Dexter 6
Scarlet Traces 5
The Order 3
Indigo Prime 3
Tharg's 3rillers 2
The Alienist 1

No votes for Defoe, Hunted, Greysuit, Slaine or the Future Shocks.

(Where people counted multiple stories as their third favourites I haven't given any points - sorry! That's only really because it saved me a bit of counting :))

A runaway victory for Brink, then, with Deadworld in a solid second place and impressive debut story Hope pipping Absalom and Kingdom for third. A run of progs containing these five strips would be quite something (though it would squeeze out Dredd...)

At the other end of the table it's perhaps sad that none of Pat Mills' stories have been a hit. Though what most astounded me is that no-one else gave as much as a single point to my favourite from 2017, The Order. Ah well, at least it's back in the ring in a couple of weeks.

Ta for voting!

Richard

I still liked Defoe and Hunted, there were just three others that I liked even more.

Thanks for this thread, I think we all needed it.

Colin YNWA

As Richard said thanks for doing this - felt needed!

YAH Brink!

Magnetica

I have just read the 2nd Scarlet Traces TPB. And it was actually really good. Way better than in weekly format. I re-read some of the Prog review threads as well where I and others were saying we were confused about who was who ("too many bald spindly blokes").

All I can say is we clearly weren't paying attention. It is all perfectly clear. On the strength of that I might have voted for it.

Anyway this vote has put to bed the notion we are in a new dark age. No chance. A dull Dredd arc - yes. ABC Warriors and Slaine continually retreading old ground and taking forever over it - yes. But the Prog in terminal decline - no way.

broodblik

The last few years of Slaine was really disappointing. The whole "The Brutania Chronicles" story-line could have been done in 12 episodes or less. The saving grace was the cool art of Simon Davis. Even ABC Warriors are going the same route.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 February, 2018, 04:13:03 PM
Anyway this vote has put to bed the notion we are in a new dark age. No chance. A dull Dredd arc - yes. ABC Warriors and Slaine continually retreading old ground and taking forever over it - yes. But the Prog in terminal decline - no way.

While we can all discuss the specifics, after all the difference is the spice of 2000ad, the overall sentiment I think is one we can all get behind... well me at least!

Big_Dave

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Jacqusie

sorry I do realise that I'm rather late for all this malarky, but here goes anyhoo...

1) Absalom

2) Hope ...for the Future

3) Kingmaker / Indigo Prime - tied

The black and white make the top two, it never goes out of favour with good storytelling...

Fungus

1st Absalom
2nd Hope
3rd Brink

I'd happily read 5 b&w Thrills, too...
actually, some b&w Dredd would be nice - but unlikely.